EPub Export from QuarkXPress is Really?

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.
AndAnAs

Post by AndAnAs » 19 Jun 2010, 13:14

Matthias, "Quark Platform-independent Strategy for Digital Publishing 2.0" is good news!
After read there was some question. Please, answer them:

1) Whether QuarkXPress will support export to a ePub format own means (without QPS and foreign paid xtensions)?

2) Whether will be possibility to create in QuarkXPress publications for iPad, similar to recently let out electronic magazine Wired or Time? Supplied videos, effects and working without Flash (we know, iPad does not support Flash)?
Whether this support will be directly realised in QuarkXPress without participation of other appendices?

I thank you for early replies.

oriano

Post by oriano » 20 Jun 2010, 23:56

Very important questions :)

I add an other question:
It will be possible to export in ePub format, old file qxp ?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Jun 2010, 00:22

Hi Andanas,
did you read the press release and the Dynamic Publishingweb page? There we answered some of your questions.
Yes, it is going to be possible to export to iPhone and iPad out of QuarkXPress (and also automated out of QPS).
As we do not have vested interest in a file format or platform, the advantage Quark can offer you is huge: Publish to all relevant devices and formats and not restrict you to one. E.g. Blio is an excellent possible way to export for iPad, iPhone & Android and there will be other options.
And ePub is not possible yet, however it is on our roadmap. So it is not too far away.Regarding Blio export, it will be initially offered for free as a possibility for QuarkXPress 8 users.
Best regards
Matthias

AndAnAs

Post by AndAnAs » 26 Jun 2010, 13:10

Matthias, thanks for your answer.

Two days ago in very popular Russian magazine "Afisha"the important opinion is published. Journalist Daniil Dugaev argueson the present and the future of electronic publications. I work inthis branch 7 years, therefore the text has excited me. It also hasexcited many my colleagues. I want, that you and all interestedvisitors of a forum have read this text. Have then expressed therelation to it and have answered on some concrete questions.

I apologise: I used machine translation. For certain there areerrors. Sorry.
- - - - -
Revenge of the IPadictims

Paper magazines on tablets: Wired should make the best magazine for iPad in the world, It doesnot happen.
One month ago we have written that there were new cameras. Theyare capable to make HD-video. And theyshould become a mark in the history of independent cinema. Thecomment of the reader has followed: camerasis a nonsense, because all there are nodirectors who would like to be expressed. It is the truth. And youknow, where really there are no ideas? These are magazines foriPad.
Recently Apple for the first time has shown the tablet. Oldmass-media were immediately encouraged (becauseall advertising sales in them fall). Oldchiefs of publishing giants have grasped idea of the portableelectronic screen. Have grasped as the sinner the indulgence. "Wow!We can print our magazines as early as hundred years!" But now itwill be not a paper, it will be a picture in iPad or analogues. Howmany money is spent (and will be still spent) for such adaptations ofthe paper press to tablets! I think, only Conde Nast have lost heresome millions dollars.
Before a writing of this text I was hour per cafe. I thumbedthrough hundreds virtual magazine pagesfrom American App Store. Their total cost of 30 dollars. The shortresume? Poorly, very boring, not interesting.
I give the first prize GQ which has put in Apple Store the PDF. Soit is simple! For one and a half month they could sell only 365copies of December release. Now like buy more. But long so will notproceed. It really stuff. He cannot be read. In scale 1:1 a fontsmall. And the approached page swimed onthe screen.
For GQ aspires Maxim. They thought longer and have decided to makethe application not of the printing versionof magazine. They have made it of the magazine Internet version. Itis thought in a correct direction. If you have a good Internetversion. You now will laugh loudly! How not properly executed text inwidth in all screen of a tablet looks? In any way. More truly, itdoes not look the goods which I wish to buy.
For leaders magazine Interview is dragged. They absolutely do nothave navigation. For go to table of contents,I thumb through tens advertising pages (you again will laugh loudly:I thumb through with hilarious effect of turned page). However,whether is in Interview contents, I do not know. And to you I willnot tell. On 20th page (it seems, with advertising D&G) magazinehas broken.
More successful two examples Popular Science and Wired.Successful, but all the same the unsatisfactory. They understand thattablets on perception of the information are closer to the Internet.Tablets further from the paper press. Force here in multimedia,interactivity, polymorphism of a content. Force in connection withthe Internet. But how result Wired and Popular Science looks? TheSame magazine pagewith columns. The same illustrations. Only now it can be scrolla finger.
Do not think that I am am irritated with all these Americanmonthly magazines. One million flowerslet blossoms. Simply I see, how a mare harness in the car. I feelstrong deja vu.
Recently among progressive publishers there was an opinion: thefuture behind magazines on Flash. I well remember this time. It wereindependent applications. They werecreated, for example, on Macromedia Shockwave. They had a heap of theinteractive elements, built in video, small games. It too is familiarto you? Them exteded to CD, it is frequent on the small. Hah!Small CDs could not be inserted in Apple Macintosh becausethey there jammed and blew up. In general, this idea for business wasis total the catastrophic. The format very much was pleasant to all.But magazines on Flash have not carried away. Means, the industry should understand that for a survival it isnecessary to change the approach, instead of a platform. Or they willunderstand it, or magazines for tablets will have a same destiny.Daniil Dugaev, Afisha Magazine, Russia, June 2010- - - - -I am am excited with destiny Quark and yourconcept of electronic publishing (Quark Platform-independentStrategy for Digital Publishing 2.0). Therefore I share the opinion.QuarkXPress contains toolkit for creation of interactive electronicmass-media: Interactive Palette, Web-autoring, etc. With the secondall is clear. It is the good tool for small and medium pages andsites. However in creation of the electronicpublications based on technology Flash there are no importantelements of epoch Web 2.0. Without what former and presentmass-media are not perceived seriously. It is a feedback.With Interactive Palette we can create a feedback with the user(reaction to actions of the user, the form, etc). But the user hasno feedback with edition, other users, the Internet.Good attempt to receive such communication the tool of receptionGoogle Map. It that I saw at your forum.But what about reception of the updated news, tapes Twitter,Facebook? What about the updated advertising, the specified figures,results of voting and matches?It seems to me, it simply to realise. Ininteractive publication QuarkXPress it is necessary to add importand export HTML, XML. Import to receive listed above. Export thatthe user could react.It is not necessary universal support. But any basic things (toreceive a code, the text, page; to convert text parts on in advancecertain styles; to place in the interactive publication; frames) arenecessary.Matthias, how much it is possible within thelimits of QuarkXPress and Quark Platform-independent Strategy forDigital Publishing 2.0? Whether it is possible to expect it in thenear future?I will remind, it is a question not only oflarge publishing houses (which have QPS, the big staff andprogrammers and can realise such options). It is a question of asmall-scale business, the small enterprises. We use QuarkXPress, butusually are not ready on the big expenditure.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 27 Jun 2010, 21:52

Hi Andanas,
I am not sure I understand your article correctly. I agree that the hype of the market (customers) is great but they want to see exciting new digital media and not a PDF or a website of the magazine. It needs to be agnostic to the device.
That's why released our Digital Publishing 2.0 strategy.
And of course it contains solutions for both Desktop and Enterprise customers. Blio Export will give you exciting magazines on many devices. With Flash on platforms that support Flash and without Flash for iPhone, iPad etc.
The ePub export (scheduled for autumn 2010) will give you XML export (as ePub is XML) out of QuarkXPress.
Best regards
Matthias

Return to “eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks”