QXP given up - No Resolution - Move to Indesign

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
rick james

Post by rick james » 23 Apr 2005, 09:08

Hi All,

Just to let u know I have officially given up on the QXP temp file issue - well disgusted by Quark by the whole debacle - and have decided to move on, not once have Quark admitted to this issue and that says to me to forget any faith and trust in the company.

I am halfway through Real World Indesign CS by David Blatner (an ex-Quark evangelist) and am starting to gear up my 35 users to cross grade.

Wish me luck!!!!!

studio@aba

Post by studio@aba » 25 Apr 2005, 03:22

Good luck! :wink:

studio@aba

Post by studio@aba » 25 Apr 2005, 03:23

You won't need it though! :lol:

davidewers

Post by davidewers » 25 Apr 2005, 11:15

Hi Rick,
I've been following your posts on this QXP temp file issue for months now. Your tenacity and determination to get an answer from Quark tech support have been an inspiration to us all! It is absolutely vital that no-one underestimates the importance of this problem..it is HUGE.
Users are LOSING HOURS OF WORK. We are letting our Clients down.
It is the sole reason I'm planning to move ALL our users to InDesign. We have decided not to upgrade to v.7. We'll keep our Quark 6.5 installs until no doubt an Apple update breaks them.
Rick, if you get time why not write a post outlining this entire QXP temp file issue? Let's make sure as many users as possible read it and then let them decide where they want to invest their money in the future.
What I still cannot understand is why do tech support still not officially admit that this major problem exists? For customers that have invested 15 years of time, money and training in Quark, it is just not acceptable.
I'll get back to my InDesign training CD now, yes it feels like starting all over again but in the long term there can be only one victor in this war. The sooner people admit it the better.

Good luck and thanks again on behalf of all struggling Quark users for trying!!

studio@aba

Post by studio@aba » 26 Apr 2005, 05:47

Being serious for a moment, we have exactly the same problem. We have tried asking for help several times but to no avail. Guess what the result is. We are now changing to InDesign too. :D

rick james

Post by rick james » 28 Apr 2005, 09:12

Hi David - thanks for your comments! - I appreciate other people are also struggling with this issue and your words make my efforts worthwhile.
_XPRS$_.$$$Z then QXP-123456.qxp files start appearing on your server
$_XPRS$_.$$$ files start as if a files is accessed in a ReadOnly area on the first save a -5000 error occurs but also whacks a copy in the auto backup.
Solution
Delete all $_XPRS$_.$$$ files

SMB & AFP protocols suffer the same behaviour aswell as OS Win 2000 & OSX server systems, also disable Nortons on the server and autosave on the client.

I run a script evry 15 mins that emails me the locations of any QXP files, make it executable and cron it on the server:

Code:

sudo find /Volumes/myserver/ -type f -name "QXP-*" -exec ls -l {} \; | mail -s "QXP report for `date`" me@atmyaddress.com.au,

Quark will not admit or patch this fault so no fix in 6.5- and they should bloody well put it in known issues but they are embarrased to. I have been told it would be addressed in v7.

davidewers

Post by davidewers » 28 Apr 2005, 09:43

Hi Rick,
You're quite right when you describe how you feel about this entire v6.x fiasco. I know how you feel and yet many others posting to these forums (see the topic I started recently called 'Should Quark 7 be a free upgrade for all 6.x users') are suggesting that we stop whining and just switch to InDesign. The point is that we are moving to InDesign but we still have that sickening feeling that we've been badly let down. I cannot simply abandon over 15 years of Quark use and the gigantic investment in having purchased and upgraded between 20-30 copies of Quark from v.1!
It is stupid I know to mention things like customer loyalty but at this moment in time I honestly feel like Quark owe their users something for sticking with them all these years. I know if will NEVER happen but it doesn't stop me from feeling that way.
By not listening to the users Quark are losing many customers forever. In my role as Systems Director for a creative studio within a London advertising agency we have made the decision to migrate our group total of 350 Quark users to ID by the end of the year.
We gave Quark every opportunity to respond and fix their issues, in the end you just have to walk away...
Good luck in using the 'other' program we're all not supposed to mention!

rick james

Post by rick james » 28 Apr 2005, 10:01

David
totally agree that 7 should be a free upgrade to anyone that owning 6 that suffered in their workflow and can justify it.
You can't test every thing in a demo or live copy - you only get to know the issues when you have 5+ operators on deadlines for real work, then you find out what the bugs are and then you can implement strategy. Simultaneously other workgroups hit similar issues - reports are made to the software vendor and patches are released - NOT THE CASE FOR QUARK6 - (so Jim Oblak don't agree with you on - ...."you should have known..." but I do now feel it was money spent down the pan for a crap product!!

I run a deadline driven studio with 30+ ops - time and version control is paramount - and the fact is pure and simple Quark can no longer fulfil this role. I work in Australia - Indesign is flooding the market - most major Newspaper and Magazine groups have swapped, small boutique agencies have swapped, now bigger agencies are following.

Adobe have a huge presence on the ground here - run seminars - provide training - respond to issues- the writing is clearly on the wall.

Anyway....back to that Selection tool v directs solution tool issue.....

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 28 Apr 2005, 10:47

Rick,

Why would you place 5+ operators on deadlines for real work on untested design software?

The issues commonly cited on these forums are those that could have been discovered by a single competent individual who evaluates a software product (either in demo mode or a single purchased license) before committing an entire studio to multiple- or site-licenses.

This is simply a blanket message that I leave on these forums as the majority of folks that run into these issues are the Quark die-hards that buy the latest releases without proper evaluation.

If you are not one of these anxious individuals that buy software without fully testing it then we really have nothing to disagree on. I apologize if I assumed too much.

studio@aba

Post by studio@aba » 28 Apr 2005, 11:24

Do you not think that Quark should fully test their product and make sure it works properly before they sell it? :?:

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”