QXP given up - No Resolution - Move to Indesign

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
studio@aba

Post by studio@aba » 28 Apr 2005, 11:24

Do you not think that Quark should fully test their product and make sure it works properly before they sell it? :?:

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 28 Apr 2005, 12:39

Of course a company should release a good product. But it is also the responsibility of the consumer to discern if a product is worth their own time and money. Blame does not go to Quark alone.

Why aren't we all using Microsoft Publisher? Is it because we recognize that it had a history of sucking for professional page layout? Why can't we all exercise the same distinction with software that is priced so much more?

Go back and read the posts dated around the time of Quark 6 and 6.5 releases and note the number of fools that were creaming their shorts in anticipation of the gooey goodness to drip from the sweet supple tit of Quark. They had no idea how the software performed. These loyalists just wanted to get moving on OSX after their progressive counterparts had already moved on with InDesign and OSX. It is to these silly folks that I disagree with.

As I said, if one has reviewed the software properly before implementing it on a large scale, I have no disagreement.

You might try contacting a Quark integrator to troubleshoot your existing problems. I know of a few locations that are using Quark without too many problems.

susiecc

Post by susiecc » 28 Apr 2005, 15:45

There's no way any software company can completely test their product against the millions of unique scenarios in the real work world. When companies send out for alpha and beta testing, companies that get the product probably don't really use it. they merely want to see what it's all about. why should a company risk production using a possibly unreliable beta product?

Quark is no different than any other software company. They are limited by the number of scenarios that they can test against.

If you want to talk about Indesign, lets. Cute little program, lots of features. slow as molasses. serious issues with color separations. even more serious issues fonts. redraw issues too. Adobe is in the same boat as Quark when it comes to testing. They can only do so much. I'm still waiting for updates to resolve the color separations issues which cause our printers to not accept indesign files.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 28 Apr 2005, 16:01

[strong]susiecc:[/strong]...slow as molasses.

Seriously? You do of course realize that you are not ideally supposed to run it on a G3?

I would check with another printer and post the specs on your computer as your assessment of InDesign seems very unusual. The average user of InDesign does not experience issues with color separations, font issues, nor redraw issues.

Bivouac Ponzetti

Post by Bivouac Ponzetti » 28 Apr 2005, 20:35

[strong]susiecc:[/strong]Cute little program, lots of features. slow as molasses. serious issues with color separations. even more serious issues fonts. redraw issues too. Adobe is in the same boat as Quark when it comes to testing. They can only do so much. I'm still waiting for updates to resolve the color separations issues which cause our printers to not accept indesign files.

:?:

My experience with the 'cute' program is that it performs better than XPress on my G4 with 2 gigs of RAM, I have no issues with either fonts or redraw, and it's a far, far better prepress tool than XPress. Exactly what are the separations issues that Adobe needs to resolve for your printers? Mine don't have any problems at all, and my impression is that there's no comparison between XPress and InCute when it comes to overall product quality. Neither app is perfect, of course, but my experience is the opposite of what you describe.

Scott McCullough

Post by Scott McCullough » 29 Apr 2005, 08:19

>>If you want to talk about Indesign, lets

Fabulous program. Incredible features. Marvelously stable. I use it daily, on both Macs and PCs. It stands head and shoulders above Quark. And I'm a long-term Quarkhead, who believed for years that it was the best page-layout program ever. No longer. Game over. Quark lost.

Scott McCullough

Post by Scott McCullough » 29 Apr 2005, 09:18

>>I'm still waiting for updates to resolve the color separations issues which cause our printers to not accept indesign files.

It sounds like your printers are using outdated workflows and/or RIPs. I work in the EPP department for a high-end printing plant. Sure, we had some difficulties with transparency at first--Adobe failed to prepare the prepress industry when they introduced the new features. Unlike those printers who still don't know how to output InDesign files, however, we did our research. Part of that included joining the Adobe Service Provider network, which led to a visit from an extremely knowledgeable Adobe tech rep. Guess what? 99.9% of our difficulties disappeared once we learned how the transparency technology worked. InDesign has now become our layout program of choice for all in-house composition projects, and we promote it heavily to our customers.

I still like Quark, in a we-can-still-be-friends way, but my heart's just not in the relationship any more. It's like trying to stick with a lovable drunk, who screws up so predictably that you suddenly wake up and discover you're no longer in love. After awhile, those endearing little annoyances lose their charm, and you realize you're simply enabling the drunk to drag you down.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”