X-Ray Magazine

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Jim Oblak

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Jim Oblak » 31 Mar 2005, 14:32

[strong]Bivouac Ponzetti:[/strong]...but it's a catch-up release (to ID CS, not ID CS + 1) even if it works.

It seems more like a catch-up release to ID2.

Bivouac Ponzetti

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Bivouac Ponzetti » 31 Mar 2005, 14:52

[strong]Jim Oblak:[/strong]It seems more like a catch-up release to ID2.

Fair point. I think that's right, which makes the rest of the bluster in the magazine all that much more inappropriate and delusional. On the one hand, forward progress is a good thing (if it works as advertised--something I'll believe when I see it given their track record to date on OSX), but they (and Roger Black) are risking their credibility in the marketplace with the ill-advised and factually inaccurate and distorted comparisons with ID, IHMO. Everyone expects marketing, PR, and ad agencies to put the best possible face on things, but you do yourself more harm than good when you overreach and play fast and loose with the truth.

Patty

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Patty » 01 Apr 2005, 17:55

Thanks for all of the feedback - no offense taken as it is NOT MY magazine. And FYI X-Ray is not published BY Quark. Believe it or not we've actually gotten a great deal of positive feedback as well. If it is a catch-up to ID2, then good for Quark. Step up or be phased out.

longtimedesigner

X-Ray Magazine

Post by longtimedesigner » 01 Apr 2005, 21:01

The "problem" is that they are catching up to the previous version of InDesign, not the recent version or the soon to be released version.

Bivouac Ponzetti

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Bivouac Ponzetti » 02 Apr 2005, 00:50

Yes, that's really the issue. All the bellicose chest thumping and bluster is pretty unseemly when the emperor has no clothes. On the plus side, the magazine looks very good, and whoever designed it deserves some kudos.

Cyndie Shaffstall

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Cyndie Shaffstall » 03 Apr 2005, 18:55

Lots of comments...so I'll try to address as many as possible.

First, Quark is NOT the publisher, or the owner of X-Ray Magazine, I am. I am also on contract with Quark to run the QuarkAlliance program, but these are separarate issues and related issues, all at the same time. (I could spend about three hours explaining this...)

I bought X-Ray Magazine in 1998 and put it on hiatus because I wasn't convinced that the money it would take to publish was the best investment I could make in a marketing plan for my distribution company.

The intent of this magazine is not to show superiority over other products, though often authors have their own ideas and want to share them.The intent is to provide Quark software product users with accurate information about the software they use. Many of our articles in coming issues are about integration, a very important part of all of our jobs. The contract that I have with Quark gives me a unique position to verify facts and learn about products in a timely manner. X-Ray Magazine gives me the venue to tell you about it.

The PDF of the first issue has been going out since the 28th (as promised). There have been over 12,000 downloads since that time. I have hundreds of emails from readers complimenting the design and content, and we think we're on the right track. I will also take these forum comments forward and try to improve the magazine based on your feedback. I do appreciate all you have to say, even when it's not particularly what we want to hear.

The PDFs of earlier versions *are* scans. Those issues were published seven years ago -- before PDF had firmly taken hold of our industry -- but we received a number of requests to make them available. The electronic files are long since gone, but we wanted to accommodate the requests, so we did the next best thing.

The form requesting the link to the free PDF could come down. We posted this form so that users could PRE-register and get the link before we made it public. We left it in place because so many people are still using it. We respond to these forms (sending the link) about every two hours, Monday through Friday.

This is the link you will receive if you complete the form.

http://www.xraymag.com/local-cgi-bin/cl ... _v3_n1.pdf

The link for a research pass is not yet in place because we've made the entire first issue available to everyone -- therefore, no need to pay for a pass to research. Additionally, for the thousands of readers who have already subscribed, we've started their subscription with issue two. All 50,000 copies of issue one will be mailed for free within the US. Anyone may request a copy (while supplies last, of course). Send an email to subscriptions@xraymag.com and ask for a printed copy.

As for the masthead, that's my call. I chose to give credit to those who had done the work,but you bring up a good point. To that end, if I can get my colleagues to empty the trash and answer the phone without complaint, I'll give them credit for those tasks as well. :D

longtimedesigner

X-Ray Magazine

Post by longtimedesigner » 03 Apr 2005, 20:29

"The intent of this magazine is not to show superiority over other products, though often authors have their own ideas and want to share them.The intent is to provide Quark software product users with accurate information about the software they use."

If that's the case, some of the information provided by the "authors expressing their own ideas" are at odds with the overall intent. Some of the information provided is inaccurate, or, at least, sorely deficient.

It comes off like a marketing piece for Quark, whether that was the intent or not. If so, good luck!

Cyndie Shaffstall

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Cyndie Shaffstall » 03 Apr 2005, 20:42

It's our first issue, and as I said, your comments are welcomed, and they will shape our future articles.

longtimedesigner

X-Ray Magazine

Post by longtimedesigner » 06 Apr 2005, 23:10

Graham, there's nothing quite like keeping your finger on the pulse of the industry and knowing you picked the team with the strongest vital statistics. There's nothing sad about informing people in the same business about sound business decisions we have made, and pointing out what is obviously P.R.B.S.

Is there something wrong with trying to keep Quark "honest?"

Jim Oblak

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Jim Oblak » 07 Apr 2005, 08:10

grahampm,

Those of us that you believe are trolling are InDesign and Quark users. Although we might be using InDesign more, we still like to keep up with Quark discussions. We still work on Quark projects. While I prefer InDesign today, it would be a shame if Quark fizzled out and left no competition for Adobe. I suspect this is why you see many InDesign users here.

I have found no fabulous satisfaction in any program. Your comments are absurd.

[strong]Patty:[/strong]If it is a catch-up to ID2, then good for Quark.

Patty,

Do you realize that ID2 came out 3 years ago? When Q7 is out, it will have 'new' features that many of us will have been using for 4 years. You might as well be designing with PageStream on an Amiga computer with your line of thinking. :lol:

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”