X-Ray Magazine

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Jim Oblak

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Jim Oblak » 07 Apr 2005, 08:10

grahampm,

Those of us that you believe are trolling are InDesign and Quark users. Although we might be using InDesign more, we still like to keep up with Quark discussions. We still work on Quark projects. While I prefer InDesign today, it would be a shame if Quark fizzled out and left no competition for Adobe. I suspect this is why you see many InDesign users here.

I have found no fabulous satisfaction in any program. Your comments are absurd.

[strong]Patty:[/strong]If it is a catch-up to ID2, then good for Quark.

Patty,

Do you realize that ID2 came out 3 years ago? When Q7 is out, it will have 'new' features that many of us will have been using for 4 years. You might as well be designing with PageStream on an Amiga computer with your line of thinking. :lol:

Scott McCullough

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Scott McCullough » 07 Apr 2005, 12:12

I looked through the PDF version of the magazine. I agree with some of the posters that it seems rather like pro-Quark propaganda. Then again, the late, great Adobe Magazine had a similar bias toward their own products, so I just took most of it with a grain of salt. I did find Roger Black's article more than a little condescending. I use both Quark and InDesign regularly. I don't need (or want!) anyone to try to tell me how I should think. I've formed my own informed conclusions, thankyouverymuch. Face the facts: Quark is lagging behind in InDesign in many critical respects.

With all that said, I know how hard it is to put together a magazine, especially with the ghost of its previous incarnation peering over your shoulder. No one can reasonably expect the first issue to be perfect. I recommend that for future issues you have more nuts-and-bolts tech articles, and less cheerleading. Quark will thrive or collapse on its own merits. Nothing y'all say in the magazine can really have any positive effect on Quark's future, but it can have a very powerful negative effect if the message appears to be: We're desperate!

Cyndie Shaffstall

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Cyndie Shaffstall » 07 Apr 2005, 13:39

Hmmm...interesting point of view, "we're desperate."

Quark does not own this magazine, and I am quite far from desperate. Despite my Quark email account, Quark doesn't own me either. But, I do like their software, I thoroughly enjoy the people I work with, and though just a contractor, they've been wonderful and completely supported my efforts to get this magazine out because *I* saw a need for it. And, apparently so did the 20,000 readers who've downloaded it in the past week and a half. (Even if some of you only downloaded it to critique our work, it still makes my numbers look good -- so keep it up!) :wink:

Cheerleading? Absolutely! I chose these articles because I think the typical QuarkXPress user is unaware of other Quark software titles and these authors did a great job at explaining them on a non-user or new-user level. Erika has six books out on QuarkXPress, Roger Black is one of the most well known and well respected designers in the industry. Margot Knorr Mancini puts my 30 years' knowledge to shame, and I thought the article on Bzier curves was fabulous. Yes, I'm biased...just like those of you who like ID better. (Starting to sound like the old PC vs. Mac thing all over again!)

PR? You bet! [Doesn't PR mean positive reinforcement?]

More technical know-how articles? As you wish...Volume 3, Number 2, due out on 17 May.

Jim Oblak

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Jim Oblak » 07 Apr 2005, 15:20

While Quark does not own the magazine, they clearly own you. :lol: Certainly Quark is using this magazine for promotion. I doubt any other magazine could show Quark 7 previews. X-Ray is clearly advertising for Quark. But that is not a problem as there is also an InDesign magazine out there.

The only problem for X-Ray would be if you keep giving free promotion to InDesign by mentioning it so much in your Quark magazine. I hope to see X-Ray continue with more technical articles. You would be best to discuss enterprise application of Quark software. Real world interviews would be most helpful. Most of the whining on these forums is for the XPress desktop software and how it pales with the design capabilities of InDesign. Quark still seems to win with enterprise publishing and your magazine could do well to promote this and show how enterprise publishing should be done.

Be careful with touting 20,000 readers as 'downloads' do not equal 'readers'. Many of us use download software that makes your server think it is serving 10 copies but there is only one recipient using download-assisting software.

[strong]Cyndie Shaffstall (Quark):[/strong]I think the typical QuarkXPress user is unaware

Excuse the excerpt but it speaks well. :lol:

Scott McCullough

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Scott McCullough » 07 Apr 2005, 15:54

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif">%20[strong]Cyndie%20Shaffstall%20(Quark):[/strong]Hmmm...interesting%20point%20of%20view,%20"we're%20desperate.[/img]
Quark does not own this magazine, and I am quite far from desperate.

No fear--I don't sense that you are desperate personally, or your magazine. On the contrary, you seem like a very optimistic person. I like that! :wink:

The desperation I sense comes from Quark at an organizational level. The current owners inherited a mess, from both a technical and a marketing perspective. I sincerely hope they get it straightened out. But you have to admit, there have been some serious missteps in the past year or so. I think the recent "Making Adobe Cry Like a Baby" ads were simply absurd--childish and offensively patronizing. That was one of the worst marketing strategies I've ever seen, and it gave Quark, Inc. the appearance of a cheesy, second-rate used car dealer.

Scott McCullough

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Scott McCullough » 07 Apr 2005, 15:58

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]Scott McCullough:[/strong]I don't sense that you are desparate

Gaah! Stoopid typos! I wish there was a 30-minute edit function like at "that other place.[/img]
Edit:

I just found the edit button! Fancy that--right in front of me. Who designed this interface, anyway? I want palettes! :roll:

linusone

X-Ray Magazine

Post by linusone » 07 Apr 2005, 16:00

I think after MacDesign's TOTAL sell out to Adobe by changing their focus to the "adobe workflow" and renaming themselves "Layers Magazine", X-Ray is a refreshing welcome. If Kelby and Co. can now pimp out ID and the rest of Adobe's apps, why can't X-Ray tout Quark? Good luck to them and Cyndie.

MacDesign, way back, started as an "alternative" to the PC biased world. A choice. Now look at them. The Adobe way, or no way.

longtimedesigner

X-Ray Magazine

Post by longtimedesigner » 07 Apr 2005, 16:20

"Cheerleading? Absolutely! I chose these articles because I think the typical QuarkXPress user is unaware of other Quark software titles and these authors did a great job at explaining them on a non-user or new-user level."

The typical designer who is familiar with BOTH pieces of software, may have likely seen those articles as "cheerleading without basis."

There's also "cheerleading," and there's "razzing the opponent." The thing is, Quark doesn't have much to go on when it comes to razzing the opponent. So, maybe Quark should stick to tooting its own horn without making too many comparisons. The comparisons weigh more positively toward InDesign.

There were two articles about why to stick with Quark, or not to switch to InDesign. These two "cheerleaders" didn't represent the differences between the two pieces of software honestly, and I pointed out the reasons why their claims were shoddy in a previous post. So, if you want to create non-and-new users who are not only unaware, but misinformed, that's your prerogative.

"Cheerlead" all you want. If it's done in a dishonest way, there may be people who bring it to your attention.

Rah, rah, rah.

Patty

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Patty » 14 Apr 2005, 12:35

Jim Oblak wrote
Those of us that you believe are trolling are InDesign and Quark users. Although we might be using InDesign more, we still like to keep up with Quark discussions. We still work on Quark projects. While I prefer InDesign today, it would be a shame if Quark fizzled out and left no competition for Adobe.
Patty,
Do you realize

Yes, I realize. Aren't you the one who said, "it would be a shame if Quark fizzled out." and "Competition is good and there is a good chance that Quark will dig itself out of the current situation with future releases. Since you profess that you use both Quark and InDesign won't it be nice for you to be able to utilize those 'new' features in your Quark projects? Well maybe not since your "not personally investing in Quark right now." At any rate I DO use Quark. :wink: Thus I don't see anything wrong with being excited about Q7 even if it is playing catch-up.

Jim Oblak

X-Ray Magazine

Post by Jim Oblak » 14 Apr 2005, 14:14

Patty,

We use software for what it does today. There is little need for excitement over promises.

Why would I need to pay for a QuarkXPress 7 upgrade when I already own InDesign 2 to produce the same effects for the past 3 years?

Providing innovative features is what drives competition. There are few innovative features in QuarkXPress 7. It is not really leaping over the feature set of InDesign. This is why no one is really excited about the possibilities of QuarkXPress 7. Quark needs to do a lot more than catch-up.

I'm happy that you have a passion in life but you may be in small company.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”