Quark 6.5 wants to load Futura at startup

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
woopit

Post by woopit » 17 Nov 2004, 14:02

Well, be sure and post what they tell you here. I would sure l-o-v-e to hear an explanation. Good luck!

pr9000

Post by pr9000 » 17 Nov 2004, 14:34

Here's a fun idea ...

Seems to me the splash screen has Futura Bold (or XB) ... http://www.pr9000.net/quarksplash.gif

My first thought is that the splash screen is an EPS in which the text was not converted to outlines ... is that bizarre, or what? It could explain why Futura is needed. I tried getting into the package and found that there is a file located at /Applications/QuarkXPress 6.5/QuarkXPress/Contents/Resources/QuarkXPress.rsrc that might hold the key ...

If you can find that splash screen, and somehow modify it ...

THIS IS INSANE AND MAKES NO SENSE, but it sure feels right.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 17 Nov 2004, 15:34

Hi pr9000,

you're joking, aren't you?
The startup screen contains an image. I can't check it in version 6 but at least in version 5 it is. Only the variable text information like the registration information is made of real fonts. And for this Quark uses standard system fonts which are definitelly available on all systems. If the 'QuarkXPress' text line would really be build by text formated in two different Futura styles what yould happen if they wouldn't be available on the users machine? 'QuarkXPress' displayed Courier? Sorry, bad joke.
Or do you think Quark embedded them into the application code and pays licensing fees becuase of this for every sold copy of QuarkXPress?

Marc Dahmen

Post by Marc Dahmen » 17 Nov 2004, 15:53

Here is the email I received from Extensis:

[quote:ec836252d5]At this point I would recommend removing any unneeded fonts from you Mac OS X system fonts folders, and then tossing out your Suitcase preference files again. It's possible that there is a font controlled by your system which is causing this problem with Suitcase.

To clean up your System Fonts, do the following:

First, go to the System Folder/Fonts folder on your hard-drive. Pull out any fonts that are not on this list:
Charcoal, Chicago, Geneva, and Monaco

In addition, clear out all fonts from:
Library/Fonts
and:
Users/'home'/Library/Fonts

The fonts you remove from the System Fonts folders can be placed inside of a new folder on the top level of your hard-drive and then added to your font management application if you ever need to use them.
Then restart your computer.

To remove your Suitcase preferences, quit Suitcase, and from your Users/'home'/Library/Preferences, remove both the com.extensis.suitcase.plist file and the Suitcase Preferences folder. Then, re-launch the Suitcase application, add the font you are having problems with, and see if you can replicate your problem.

I did as they suggested, but it did not resolve the problem. I replied back telling them this, so now I'm in a holding pattern until I hear back.

woopit

Post by woopit » 17 Nov 2004, 16:56

How about trying to re-install Quark?

Marc Dahmen

Post by Marc Dahmen » 17 Nov 2004, 17:31

Here is Extensis' reply to my email:

[quote:86fbf5ec5a]Suitcase will only auto-activate a font if an application requests for it to do so. My guess is that Quark thinks it needs a Futura font, doesnt find one available, so it auto-activates the one in Suitcase.

Woopit,

Reinstalling Quark is a last resort. Right now, the problem is more of a nuisance than a debilitating issue. If/when I find the time, I may go that route just to satisfy my curiosity.

woopit

Post by woopit » 18 Nov 2004, 09:40

I understand. If and when you ever find an answer be sure to post it here.
My settings will notify me when you do. Thanks.

pr9000

Post by pr9000 » 18 Nov 2004, 11:01

Robert --

Calm down, dude. Please. I think I pretty clearly stated that it was a ridiculous idea. From reading the thread, every other fix seems to have been tried, to no avail.

I thought it would make for a fun thought experiment.

For your next cup of coffee, try decaf, please. :lol:

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 22 Nov 2004, 12:37

Don't know if this helps or confuses.
On my Mac (OS10.3.6-QX6.5-Suit11.0.4) these unrequested activated fonts have a yellow diamond next to them rather than a yellow dot. Now this happened under OS9.2.2 with the ZapfDingbats font (the same old type1 zapf dingbats that dissapeared under OS10.3.5 and re-appeared under OS10.3.6)

Anyone know the significance of a diamond rather than a dot in suitcase?

rick james

Post by rick james » 22 Nov 2004, 16:39

The diamond indicates that an application has requested that the font be opened as appose to a circle which indicates it is manually opened in Suitcase.

Thus Quark is calling for Futura and Cochin.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”