Font display problems with OSX update 10.3.5

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
mutz

Post by mutz » 17 Aug 2004, 07:43

Hi

Since my macintosh is updated to OS 10.3.5 the zapf dingbats (postscript) will not display on the screen, the font prints okay but it's just not visible...
several other people have the same problems under indesign
in illustrator the font shows up correctly

anybody a workaround?

rich

Post by rich » 17 Aug 2004, 11:29

Don't use the Postscript version. Load the dfont that came with the OS instead.

R. Butler

Post by R. Butler » 17 Aug 2004, 14:29

The issue seems to follow to Extensis' Suitcase X1 as well, no preview. Even the Keyboard Viewer does not display the font correctly. Only shows as Ariel.

I don't have any problem with the Adobe products viewing Zapf Dingbats. Quark will print it just fine, just not view it. I even purchased a new version of ITC Zapf Dingbats just in case the font itself was the issue. Turns out its not.

Who really knows?

On a side note, the font I had worked fine pre-patch.

wasabi

Post by wasabi » 17 Aug 2004, 15:14

[strong]R. Butler:[/strong]On a side note, the font I had worked fine pre-patch.

Do you mean the OS or Quark patch? If it's the OS patch I'm not surprised. They seem to break something everytime there's an update, even if it's just a security update. Perhaps Quark will fix it on their next patch. Shall I hold my breath? :wink:

mutz

Post by mutz » 18 Aug 2004, 02:04

don't think it's related to quark cause suitcase won't display dingbats nor the built-in type manager...

it has something todo with the new systemfonts introduced with OSX
i deleted my zapf dingbats in favor of the bitstream version which i haven't got any problems with except that the baseline is not quite the same....
:cry:
LOTS of work...
thanks apple

KHCAP

Post by KHCAP » 22 Aug 2004, 16:08

i had the same problem... i deleted it from suitcase x1 and purchased the OpenType version from Adobe and it works fine now... at least it displays now in Quark and Suitcase. However, it will take a little bit of extra work for existing documents already using it... it doesn't just "swap" over the way it should.

mutz

Post by mutz » 23 Aug 2004, 01:57

yup search & replace by an opentype gives some extra 3 millimeter, no problem on small document but on big ones....
:cry:

KHCAP

Post by KHCAP » 23 Aug 2004, 10:01

hi
have you been able to create a pdf file with the zapf font? my opentype font is not recognized by distiller... when zapf wasn't showing up in quark, at least it printed and pdf'd okay...i just couldn't see it! ugh!!!! :roll:

rq

Post by rq » 23 Aug 2004, 10:55

I had the same problem. For the three or so characters I needed in a 48 page document I substituted Wingdings which happened to have the same keyboard layout for those characters.

A commercial printer said he would have no problem taking that document when going to press. I wouldn't recommend this tactic unless you can confirm with your end output whether it will work.

gilgemesh

Post by gilgemesh » 23 Aug 2004, 13:08

I had a similar issue. It turned out that I had a bad display font in the OSX font cache. I deleted the font from the hard rive, cleared out the cache, and reinstall the fonts into Suitcase. I haven't had the problem again.

Here is a step by step of what I did:

1. Delete the existing fonts from your system.
2. Delete the font information from your OS-X Font Cache as well. You might
want to use a freeware program called Font Cache Cleaner availabe at
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14470. Instructions how to download, install
and operate the utility are also provided there.
If the font cache is not emptied, the system will use old font information which might cause encoding, display, and printing problems.
3. Install the fonts back under Library/Fonts (recommended, not mandatory) on the root disc of your Macintosh OS-X computer.

I hope this helps.

Gil

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”