Font display problems with OSX update 10.3.5

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
PhilipTobias

Post by PhilipTobias » 31 Aug 2004, 14:20

Following is a tip (untested by me), which was posted in an Apple discussion about this same general problem with fonts:

Zapf Dingbats dfont displays in Quark after this conditions :
- quit Quark
- go to your fontmanager application and disable all other versions of Zapf Dingbats except the dfont.
- disable auto-activation
- restart Quark
- you have to enable the fonts needed for your document in a fontmanager application

The Apple forum discussion is at:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx? ... @.68991323

almaink

Post by almaink » 31 Aug 2004, 14:42

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]KHCAP:[/strong]Does anybody know what the three ZapfDingbat files located in the Quark 6.0 > jaws > ttfont folder are for? Could these be removed? Or replaced? Other than that, I don't have any other versions anywhere except my font folder for suitcase x1. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

I removed all these "fonts[/img] So no fix there. I think this font preview problem is an Apple OS problem. It seems ZafpDingbats and the "expert fonts" don't follow "normal" Macintosh font encoding and that must be where the problem lies. I've tried using Fontoghrapher to remake Zapfdingbats and a few expert fonts in TT and T1 format and none preview but all print fine even to PDF.
I hope this problem is solved soon as it's a pain and waste of my time to backsave all Quark6.1 that use T1 problem fonts to v5 for viewing and output.

jcudemus

Post by jcudemus » 01 Sep 2004, 14:08

My Mac too is experiencing some issues with Zapf Dingbats using QuarkXPress (invisible on screen, but prints fine).

To add to the mystery: I'm working on a QXP document with Zapf bullets set at 9 pt. The bullets are invisible when the document is viewed at magnifications of 105%-or-less and 116%-or-greater.

HOWEVER, the Zapf bullets are perfectly visible if magnification is set anywhere between 106% and 115%. (!!?)

The mystery is wrapped in an enigma: if the font size is other than 9 pt, the above magnification trick doesn't work.

KHCAP

Post by KHCAP » 02 Sep 2004, 06:39

I was just on the Apple forums and came across this post. I tried it and it WORKED!!! I can now see my Zapf font again!!! I'm not sure about turning auto-activiation off and what kind of hassles that will create... but for now I can see my dingbats!!

Quote:
from Roland VanCampenhout on Apple Forums:

Zapf Dingbats dfont displays in Quark after this conditions :
- quit Quark
- go to your fontmanager application and disable all other versions of Zapf Dingbats except the dfont.
- disable auto-activation
- restart Quark
- you have to enable the fonts needed for your document in a fontmanager application
- your document will say the Zapf font is missing... simply "replace" it with the zapf that is currently open...

Thanks again Roland!!!

EDIT: I have not had any unusual problems by turning the auto activation off in Suitcase.

mikerobertson

Post by mikerobertson » 28 Sep 2004, 10:16

i have a postscript type 1 copy of zapf dingbats that has had its font id number altered from 13 to 2814, and it works fine previewing and printing in quark, in suitcase the preview might or might not work, according to how you hold your tongue when you click on it.

quark also seems to swap it out for font id 13 dingbats just fine.

mike robertson
world arts, inc.

mol_jim

Post by mol_jim » 01 Oct 2004, 09:46

Thanks for your post, Mike. I haven't had much luck with the other ideas people have posted. It sounds like this solution could work well for us.

How do you alter the font id number?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 01 Oct 2004, 09:57

Just my personal opinion (not necessarily the opinion of Quark, Inc.) - I have used just about all the Font Mgmt utilities that you can imagine. I have found one that has been flawless - in ALL my workflows. Font Agent Pro - it is the miracle application. Download a free trial - it REPAIRS corrupted fonts, font ID conflicts and handles just about every type foundry that you can think of. This application has been a true blessing and has made my life so much easier.

Shellie

mol_jim

Post by mol_jim » 04 Oct 2004, 10:08

I was able to change the font id of Zapf Dingbats (using ResEdit in OS 9), but it did not work. Zapf Dingbats still doesn't display in Quark (or in Suitcase). :(

Tom Owens

Post by Tom Owens » 04 Oct 2004, 10:11

Spend a few bucks and buy a new one.

Regards,
Tom

mol_jim

Post by mol_jim » 04 Oct 2004, 10:21

[strong]Tom Owens:[/strong]Spend a few bucks and buy a new one.

Buy a new what? I purchased a new version of Zapf Dingbats which does work fine for new documents. My problem is I have hundreds of exisiting Quark documents which use Zapf Dingbats and Quark does not recognize the new font as being the same. I have to replace each instance of the font and the baseline of the new font is not the same. That is why I was very interested when Mike wrote: "quark also seems to swap it out for font id 13 dingbats just fine"

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”