How do you save from Quark 6 down to Quark 4

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
kmccool

Post by kmccool » 06 Jul 2004, 05:10

I work in a small publishers where we have two design macs, one runs quark 4 and the other runs quark 6. What I want to know is how do I save a document which has been created in Quark 6 so that it will run in Quark 4. When I go into the 'save as' window it only gives me the options of v5 or v6. Have I missed something when I set up Quark or is there an extension which I can use or is this just impossible???

Your help would be appreciated.

K.

a.hayton

Post by a.hayton » 06 Jul 2004, 06:45

The only way is to get quark 5.
You then save as quark 5 from version 6 and then open that file and save as version 4 from quark 5.
There is an applescript in the forums section to do this automatically.

MarieM

Post by MarieM » 06 Jul 2004, 06:57

I'm also a new Quark 6 user and find it will only save to version 6 or 5. As a lot of print houses are still using version 4 and even 3 they can't open the version 5 or 6. You would think quark 6 would have the capacity to save downwards or maybe there is a fix?
:o

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 06 Jul 2004, 07:21

A fix? The fix is having upgraded to Quark 5 when it came out. How did you accept Quark 5 files before? How did you save Quark 3 files from Quark 5? The 'fix' is understanding how new versions of your design software are being developed. Quark 6's inability to save to 4 was predictable.

kmccool

Post by kmccool » 06 Jul 2004, 08:43

QUOTE: 'A fix? The fix is having upgraded to Quark 5 when it came out'

Unfortunately not everyone can afford to upgrade to Quark 5 or 6 from 4 especially when like myself they work in the print sector and Quark 5/6 has pretty much been developed to tackle electronic publishing with not much difference on the print functions to Quark 4. Therefor we are been forced to part with large amounts of cash for a bit of software which we are never going to use to its full potential because the programmers decided to leave out basic compatibility solutions with popular earlier versions of the software. If Adobe can do it with PSD documents Quark can surely figure it out...

paulairs

Post by paulairs » 06 Jul 2004, 09:02

I can understand the frustration of every user that needs to save down to v4 from v6 but frankly what is the point, OK to edit the file at another mac/pc or send to a customer but in doing so you envitably cross the boundaries of functionality, what can be edited and how. Even Photoshop as was quoted does it's best to cope with previous versions but again if you want to edit in a previous version you lose functions which may make editing a problem. I realise it is a problem to keep up with upgrades but the cost of upgrading only increases by not upgrading from version to version. Can we expect the next version of Quark Xpress to save back to version 5 as they have invested so much time and money developing v6 for OSX (native) compatibility, I am not sure, maybe because people ask for it they will, but you can't expect to stay at version 1,2,3,4 of any software for ever and still keep up. It is unfortunate for printers (myself included) that just one company starts to send in files in a new version of an application, to output the job (unless PDF but then RIP software may need updating) we need to upgrade our software to get the job done. Fortuneately upgrades seem to have slowed down a bit so we have a rest bite for a while.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 06 Jul 2004, 09:27

Adobe PSD cannot be saved down to all earlier formats... When were PSD layers introduced? When was editable type introduced? When were spot channels introduced?

My post about Q5 was not to lead to buying Q5; it was to point out that Q4, Q5, and Q6 are different programs, even though they come from the same publisher. As paulairs noted, if you are in the business of accepting files from others, you have got to make a business decision to upgrade your software to avoid major issues. I would not trust opening a newer document that has been dumbed down to a lesser format - - and I would not do business with a service provider or another designer that did that to my documents.

The upgrade game is an unforunate reality. We all must play the game or sit on the bench and lose business.

kmccool

Post by kmccool » 06 Jul 2004, 09:41

I just feel that it is a shame that designers such as myself who concentrate on the print element of publishing have to spend a heck of a lot of cash on a piece of software that has done what it has always done with a few minor tweaks and a whole host of new features which I will probably never use so that I can guarantee that I will never be embarrassed by compatibility conflicts. Don't get me wrong, thanks for helping out but I just feel that what you are saying is true but unfair on Quarks part. If the customer feels that there is something fundamental missing from a package (of which myself and others clearly do) they should address the issue in order to retain custom (there is always Adobe InDesign which I believe can open Quark documents without major issues).

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 06 Jul 2004, 10:20

The same issue unfortunately applies to InDesign, which cannot save down at all.

However, from a functionality and cost standpoint, InDesign wins here: it has a lot more features for the average designer that is not tied into a third-party Quark publishing solution. And the cost for the full version and upgrades to InDesign have always been cheaper than Quark.

Is there any chance that you can upgrade Quark 4 to 6 or do you need to send Quark 4 files outside of your studio for other Q4 designers to use?

Tim OConnor

Post by Tim OConnor » 06 Jul 2004, 10:25

The arguement that one can not afford to upgrade is not valid... even when I used it. Either you can afford to be in the business or you can't..
The cheap buggers I used to work for would not pay for anything unless they had to. Now they are struggling to replace me with kids who don't know OS9 or SCSI.

What is a valid arguement is that many, many many in the industry did not justify the cost of v5 against the amount of files comming in. It was more cost effective to ask clients to save as v4 and work around any problems. We bought 1 licence of QX5 and I had no problems with it. None at all, except that 99% of our client files came in 4.11 and all my extensions only worked in 4.11.

Moving to 5 was an expense with no percievable return. But, we did have one version, just in case. Ignoring upgrades can be financially viable and consequence free, but do so at your own risk.

My new workplace is currently switching to IndesinCS, most of the bug are worked out of the equipment, but all automation in our workflow has been broken. No deadline has been set to fix, because the users are not comfortable with indesign yet. Management thinks this was a great decision. Operators don't like being held responsible for sopftware that doesn't act the wat they expect.

Progress is good, but some parts are bumpy and not always in the right direction.

What you have to remember is that Quark and Adobe are in the business of selling new software... You are in the business of creating print media. If you buy every upgrade, you are encouraging them to upgrade more often.

If only you skip upgrades, they won't care cause only you lose functionality.
If everyone skips upgrades for 2 versions, the software makers' put back thier forums and claim to improve customer service. Quark is getting the message.
If they are getting better, it will not happen overnight, though.

And despite claims about Quarks customer service... it is no better or worse than Adobe's or any other software makers... They all want you to pay and go away.
I have never depended on the manufacturer for support in how software works...
They only know how they intended it to work. That, historically, has nothing to do with how the industry actually uses software.

Otherwise we would all be "BOLDING" copy using the button on the measurement pallet, and close cropping using "non-white area"

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”