Quark 6 vs In Design

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
rick

Quark 6 vs In Design

Post by rick » 29 Jun 2004, 18:41

I work for a company that currently is using Quark Express 4.11 on Mac G4s OS 9.0.4. We're considering either uprading to OS X, Quark 6 or OS X In Design. I glanced through the forums at both sites (Quark and In Design) and they both seem to have a lot of same problems (mostly fonts and server problems). Would any of you guys/gals be so kind to offer some of what you think are the pros and cons of Quark 6? If you can offer any comparison to In Design, that would be helpful as well. Thanx for your help.

stevewlondon

Quark 6 vs In Design

Post by stevewlondon » 30 Jun 2004, 03:48

We moved from Quark 4.1 to 6.1 and have been really let down by Quark. The price of the package is extortionate, the customer service is absolutely vile, the package crashes regularly when copying tables, it is impossible to copy a layout from one project to another, we had incredible problems loading the software, including mutiple conflicts with other software products - the list just goes on and on.

Basically, Quark has gotten too big for itself and is losing us as customers. We spent nearly 20,000 getting the new Quark installed on our computers, only to be told that we would have to pay extra for technical support. The software just isn't worth it. It has cost us productivity and at least one client. We are preparing to sue and switch everything to In-Design.

Do not buy Quark until they change their customer service policy and start treating customers with a bit more respect. Besides that, In-Design is a much better package.

KZ1500

Quark 6 vs In Design

Post by KZ1500 » 30 Jun 2004, 04:28

We have been running indesign since the Creative Suite version came out. I have no complaints at all, it works quicker than quark and certainly has many more features. I to spent over 3.000 on Quark 6. Cant get no support and if you decide to pay for it, they really are no help when you get through. I have been a die hard quark fan for years but no more. This is the final copy I will ever buy :(

willmark

Quark 6 vs In Design

Post by willmark » 30 Jun 2004, 07:18

You might want to move a discussion such as this to the sofa before the natives here get really angry. Some have been known to be very touchy about this topic in this forum. The Sofa forum is for such considerations, I'd be happy to discuss it there...

-Stevewlondon
Blitzing mutiple threads by pasting the same message isn't really going to garner you much sympathy for your plight.

Mark

rick

Quark 6 vs In Design

Post by rick » 30 Jun 2004, 22:07

Thanks Willmark. I moved a copy of this question to the Sofa Forum. Wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers. I'm interested to see what you have to say.

tcmenees

Quark 6 vs In Design

Post by tcmenees » 01 Jul 2004, 16:26

Have had sufficient problems with Quark 6 while trying to write PDFs that I scanned this discussion thinking of moving to InDesign. May still do that, but have to say the tech support has been polite and somewhat helpful. When I pointed out that no one should have to pay for help with a product that simply did not perform as promised, they were smart enough to waive charges. I still have to go back to Quark 5 / OS9 to write small (screen optimized) PDFs but at least they were nice.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”