"File not found. [-43]" when saving!

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
JRS

Post by JRS » 08 Jun 2004, 23:38

Curious to see how this thread goes. I've seen this intermittently for years, and can guarantee it can happen without Enhance Preview loaded. Also, there was an update to Enhance Preview some time back that was supposed to fix the problem for that case. I have tested different theories a number of times without finding a way to reproduce this, and have clients who see it sporadically as well. Oh, and it can affect CopyDesk too, not just XPress, and CopyDesk shares a lot of core code but does not even have previews to enhance.

TiBookGuy

Post by TiBookGuy » 09 Jun 2004, 19:28

We too have seen this come and go. We always thought it was network related, most of our documents are opened from a mounted W2000 server, and when one user gets it, most of the others will too.

progen11

Post by progen11 » 10 Jun 2004, 17:48

I have seen similar problems on macs that are networked. Try this, in your OS 9 system folder there is a "Servers" folder throw out all server aliases. Also in the apple menu Items folder there is a "Recent Servers" folder throw out those too. When more than one user logs into a server from your computer, it creates an alias of that users logon identity on your machine. Sometimes macs get screwd up they don't know what servers and user are currently logged on. Thats's the quick way out but you should also be doing other things like rebuiding the desktop and zapping your pram, throwing out system prefs like ASLM prefs out.

ZIBA

Post by ZIBA » 10 Jun 2004, 18:12

Tim,
Try disabling the anti virus if you have one. I works for me, most of the time.

TiBookGuy

Post by TiBookGuy » 10 Jun 2004, 18:56

We do keep the Sys Fldr/Servers cleaned out, and we all sign on with a generic, dept wide logon, so i doubt that is it. But as a test, I wil turn off the remember recent stuff.

JRS

Post by JRS » 10 Jun 2004, 19:09

I feel pretty sure this problem can have multiple causes, so I don't discount the suggestions from progen11. In my environment, though, all OS 9 machines are single user, and I only use the submenu part of Apple Menu Options, recent items is always disabled. Desktop rebuilds occur on a semi-regular basis, though I don't zap PRAM barring indications of problems in that area.

I have LOTS of testing and troubleshooting experience, and this one continues to elude me.

KDY

Post by KDY » 11 Jun 2004, 03:52

Had the exact problem and removed the Xtension, Dejavu.
No more problems, this worked for me so might be worth a try!

Linda

Post by Linda » 11 Jun 2004, 09:48

You can also run into this error in OS X if you rename the file in the Finder while the file is open.

peace,
Linda :)

prepressguy

Post by prepressguy » 11 Jun 2004, 14:39

Anyone, wasn't this what 4.11 FixIt XTension solved?

JRS

Post by JRS » 11 Jun 2004, 23:14

If 4.11 FixIt addressed a cause of this, it didn't fix all cases. Also occurs without DejaVu (particularly since as I mentioned earlier, CopyDesk is subject to the same problem, and has no FixIt XT or DejaVu.) I continue to think that specific causes have been found and fixed, but that other ones exist that strike some of us when we least expect it. It is few and far between for me, I don't mean to give any other impression, but it has existed on multiple machines for years.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”