Importing transparent tiffs / eps / png into quark

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
colinmcentee

Post by colinmcentee » 01 Jun 2004, 09:04

I'm trying to imort an image with transparent background into quark. I removed the background from the orginal image in photoshop. I've tried importing the image as a tiff, eps and png but the image in quark always has a white background.

Is there a specfic file format for transparency for an option or somthing that I'm doing wrong?

Bill Detty

Post by Bill Detty » 01 Jun 2004, 10:33

Have you tried the various clipping options available under Item | Clipping... (the key command is Command-Option-T, or Control-Alt-T if you're a Windows user)?

Personally, I only trust embedded clipping paths, which you'd have to create in Photoshop, but YMMV.

John K

Post by John K » 01 Jun 2004, 16:59

Xpress does not support full transparency. It only supports clipping paths. Either deal with the hard lined issue, create the background along with the image and place that or work with a dtp application that supports full transparency.

bonniej

Post by bonniej » 01 Jun 2004, 17:28

You need to make a clipping path in Photoshop. THen save it out as a eps or tif. THen import into Quark & activate the clipping path.

Skella

Post by Skella » 10 Jun 2004, 09:00

Hi Colin, hey everyone,
I'm wondering what version of Quark you're using. I'm using 4.1 and having the same problem. It won't give me the option to activate the embedded photoshop path.
While on leave, my production manager wiped out my hard drive (grrrr) and reinstalled everything. Before that, the paths worked fine. It seems I remember having this same problem awhile ago and I had to download an updater for Quark. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

Skella

Post by Skella » 10 Jun 2004, 09:52

I found it!! The problem is Photoshop 6. It's got an update to download at...
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=1122

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”