News about QuarkXPress 10

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 05 Nov 2013, 23:33

Hi all,
good news, we have been able to make a breakthrough regarding the performance issues reported.
Though not 100% satisfied with performance yet and in some cases there are a few lags still, we decided to release the update (which will be called 10.0.1) containing these fixes as soon as possible as the general improvements over 10.0.0.2 are significant. We will further improve performance in another update later this year, goal is to reach the performance of QuarkXPress 9.5 (or better).

QuarkXPress 10.0.1 will also add official support for OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1 (on non-High DPI displays).
Besides these changes QuarkXPress 10.0.1 will include improved support for working across multiple monitors under Mavericks, improved stability, fixes for a range of output issues related to PDFs with native transparency, improved support for Adobe Illustrator PDFs containing transparent objects and much more.
10.0.1 is a free update for all users of QuarkXPress 10. We are just readying the release and plan to release it early next week. Of course we will inform everybody about the availability of 10.0.1 here and also Auto Updater will notify you automatically.
Regards
Matthias

Alexis V

Post by Alexis V » 06 Nov 2013, 01:32

Brilliant. Thanks Matthias.

salga

Post by salga » 06 Nov 2013, 02:02

Matthias,thanks for the good news. I own 9.5, and I started evaluating 10.0.0.1 two days ago: will I be able to continue my 30-days of test drive with this new release before deciding whether to buy the upgrade?Thanks,Luca

LTD

Post by LTD » 06 Nov 2013, 02:46

I applied one of the updates to the QXP test drive and it killed the demo. Wouldn't let me continue without a serial #. I asked Matthias in another forum post about resetting the test drive version but that has gone unanswered. Hopefully, they'll sort this out so we can evaluate the updated version.

salga

Post by salga » 06 Nov 2013, 02:56

@LTD: same here. Although I started the test drive two days ago, I am currently unable to continue testing it...Hopefully Matthias will be able to help us.

FarwellRob

Post by FarwellRob » 06 Nov 2013, 03:43

Hey, if I were you, I'd go ahead and give all those folks working on the update a month off. Seriously, after not testing any of these programs, offering the worst major release in the last decade and then taking months to figure out how to (theoretically) fix any of the problems, I'd suggest that they take some time off before releasing the patch.As horrible as you've made this experience, their 'patch' will most likely make things worse, so by giving them some time off it will push back the (eventual) actual fix to this program.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 06 Nov 2013, 04:26

Hi LTD,
sorry, I must have missed your other post. So Luca, LTD, unfortunately you can't update Test Drives.
Let me see whether I can think of a solution please.
Thanks
Matthias

salga

Post by salga » 06 Nov 2013, 05:01

Matthias,

in general, I understand the approach. However, please do realise that we're in a very special situation here. We're existing customers that would like to migrate to the new version, but without having the chance to properly appreciate its advantages, will not take a chance, given the recent history.

So, please, please, please, try and find a solution to let us have a 30 days test drive with the new 10.0.1!

Thanks,
Luca

gdrake
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by gdrake » 06 Nov 2013, 07:48

FarwellRob wrote: "taking months to figure out how to (theoretically) fix any of the problems," .
It's been 7 weeks since QuarkXPress 10 was released and 10 business days since Mavericks was released so I'm confused by your statement of it taking months to figure out a solution? While we have access to pre-release builds, a lot can and does change in the final version of an operating system. In the case of Mavericks there were changes just days before release e.g. the removal of the Open transport API, which QuarkXPress 9 relies on. So until an operating system has reached the final certified version, no vendor can guarantee compatibility. The team has worked rapidly to ensure a free update for version 9 users while at the same time resolving more than 90 customer reported issues on QuarkXPress 10. While I understand your frustration - and we of course want to ensure the highest possible quality of our software - there will inevitably be unforeseen issues and when that occurs, it's our priority to resolve them as soon as is humanly possible. With a complex software product and millions of lines of code, the solution is rarely quick or simple. Would we have liked QuarkXPress 9 and 10 to fully support Mavericks on the day it was released? Of course. Was that realistic? Probably not in this case.

FarwellRob

Post by FarwellRob » 06 Nov 2013, 09:32

By Monday it will be 8 weeks. That's 2 months since release. I don't see why this would confuse you. In that time Mac HAS gone from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, but the biggest issue with Quark was present on both versions. If you have more than a few extremely small pictures, Quark becomes unusable. For someone like me who's publication uses at 10-30 pictures per page, plus text, this is the worst possible user experience. Placing pictures and text, then moving them around is what made me invest in Quark. Now I'm putting out a daily newspaper with a program that barely moves. Did you expect everyone to just stop using high DPI pictures? Is Quark giving up on the business market?

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”