Quark 10 Very, Very Slow on Mac Pro...

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 11 Dec 2013, 02:06

Hi Brian,
didn't see that and as I said I am the wrong person. However if needed I can connect you to the sales team, just send me an email. Can't say that I will "happily" connect you though.
We had some participants in the forum test the new update and we take that feedbakc to confirm our own tests to evaluate whether the improvements are significant enough to release.
Regards
Matthias

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 17 Dec 2013, 20:42

Hi all,
in case you haven't noticed yet, we released QuarkXPress 10.0.2 yesterday which addresses most performance issues:
t/33876.aspx
Looking forward to hear your feedback.
Regards
Matthias

Bjorn_Toulouse

Post by Bjorn_Toulouse » 18 Dec 2013, 03:43

10.0.2 seems to have (almost) fixed a lot of issues. The multiple monitor problems seem to have been sorted out and palettes stay where you want them.

Speed wise? Hmmm, not too sure on this. Yes, it's infinitely better than it was [in 10.0.0] but it still seems lagging compared to 9.x.x - which I'm sticking with on the production machines.

All round though, good work but there's still a lot to be done. Thanks for the effort but I can't leave without getting a dig in and asking... Why weren't these issues addressed before release? ;)

Oh, I'm updating a cloned partition to 10.9.1 later today I'll let you know what that breaks.

FarwellRob

Post by FarwellRob » 18 Dec 2013, 06:20

Just upgraded to 10.0.2. It's still slow. Not what-the-hell-were-you-idiots-thinking slow, just 1990's slow. Please fix this and stop lying to us. It's not like anyone would use this pile of crap and think it's acceptable. And while it is more acceptable than what you released, it's far from anything a modern software company should ever think would be acceptable.

gdrake
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by gdrake » 18 Dec 2013, 06:32

FarwellRob wrote:Just upgraded to 10.0.2. It's still slow. Not what-the-hell-were-you-idiots-thinking slow, just 1990's slow. Please fix this and stop lying to us. It's not like anyone would use this pile of crap and think it's acceptable. And while it is more acceptable than what you released, it's far from anything a modern software company should ever think would be acceptable.
FarewellRob, I thought you said you already switched to InDesign? I'm surprised that you're still updating and coming back to the Quark forums to share your findings? I believe that we were very clear in communicating which areas have been improved in performance, which are now faster than 9.x and which areas still have work to be done in (panning and scrolling being the primary areas of focus for the next update). If you really want to contribute then perhaps you could provide some specifics outside of panning and scrolling where you are seeing performance issues. We believe it's better to make incremental improvements with regular updates than have everyone wait for everything to be addressed in one update. Feedback from customers so far has been primarily positive on the 10.0.2 update but no one is claiming it's perfect yet.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 18 Dec 2013, 07:07

I started a book layout in .1, finished it last night in .2. Yes, in 9.5.4 scrolling is more fluid. However, I am finding 10.0.2 more than fluid enough for production. I think that while this release should have been the state of the initial release, I am confident remaining performance issues will be resolved going by the difference since initial release. It is in their best interest.

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 18 Dec 2013, 08:53

MikeWenzloff wrote:I started a book layout in .1, finished it last night in .2. Yes, in 9.5.4 scrolling is more fluid. However, I am finding 10.0.2 more than fluid enough for production. I think that while this release should have been the state of the initial release, I am confident remaining performance issues will be resolved going by the difference since initial release. It is in their best interest.

Quite happy with 10.0.2 and as long as you update your legacy documents by doing a Collect for Output or reimport the images, things are fine.

gurtowsky

Post by gurtowsky » 18 Dec 2013, 10:15

omegaman,what setting to you have for your color profiles? the photos look fine, however eps files are completely the wrong color. I have a blue eps logo placed and shows green on the screen. I have the same setting in 9.5.4 and they look fine. I have apple 27" thunderbolt apple monitor, retina macbook pro, 10.9.1. for whats its worth, the same file looked fine in quark 10.0.1. any help is appreciated.

ledesign

Post by ledesign » 18 Dec 2013, 10:30

I'm getting some of those same color erros with my EPS files. I had one that half of the file would show green and half would show brown (all was to be green) when I printed a PDF. The only fix I found was to convert the EPS to a JPEG.

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 18 Dec 2013, 10:40

gurtowsky wrote:omegaman,what setting to you have for your color profiles? the photos look fine, however eps files are completely the wrong color. I have a blue eps logo placed and shows green on the screen. I have the same setting in 9.5.4 and they look fine. I have apple 27" thunderbolt apple monitor, retina macbook pro, 10.9.1. for whats its worth, the same file looked fine in quark 10.0.1. any help is appreciated.

There is some issues with Illustrator vector files. You'll get different colors depending wether its been imported as an AI / EPS / or default PDF settings.
Quark Preferences: Source Setup: Quarkxpress 7 Default / Proof Output: None / Rendering Intent: Relative Colormetric / Both Color Manage Vector EPS/PDF and Include Existing Vector EPS/PDF in Layout Checked.
Regarding my Display settings: Using the default settings.
Can you provide a link to the EPS file and I'll take a look on my system?

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”