News about QuarkXPress 9 on Mavericks

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 05 Nov 2013, 23:39

Hi all,
good news, we made a breakthrough in our analysis on how to support QuarkXPress 9 on OS X Mavericks.
We are now positive that we can support QuarkXPress 9 under Mavericks in an update that we will provide free of charge to all users of QuarkXPress 9. This will apply to both license types, activation based licenses as well as site licenses using QLA.
We expect to be able to release this update before the end of November 2013. Until then please stay with your current version of OS X. Once we'll have a more definite date we'll let you know immediately.
Thanks
Matthias
Update: We just found out that by applying the fix we will not be able to support Leopard anymore. So the update for QuarkXPress 9 that supports Mavericks will require at least Snow Leopard. Of course Lion and Mountain Lion will work too.

remote

Post by remote » 06 Nov 2013, 00:15

These are great news.
Thank you guys for working on a Q9 compatibility fix for Mavericks.

Mike McLaughlin

Post by Mike McLaughlin » 06 Nov 2013, 03:43

Yes Matthias than you for doing your job. It was almost done in a timely fashion.

fgowarty

Post by fgowarty » 06 Nov 2013, 03:55

Go Team! Getting caught off guard made me a bit nervous, I just want the move tool working :) all else seems fine- I can work around till then- good jobAs a Quark die hard since 1989- I have been able to avoid being a traitor to Pagemaker>InDesign for over 23 years. Each new update seems to be getting more and more complex and dangerous for both Apple and Quark. I for one would appreciate a Lite or basic version of Quark that could minimize crashes maybe a QuarkImPress? :) I think someone will capitalize one day on the simplicity aspects of software instead of the All-in-one mentality that makes each update scarier to perfect in a fast paced environmentI can appreciate your position, thanks for the good news

jawilson

Post by jawilson » 06 Nov 2013, 07:05

Any word on fixing version 7.5 or 8 to also be Mavericks compatible?

gdrake
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by gdrake » 06 Nov 2013, 07:35

jawilson wrote:Any word on fixing version 7.5 or 8 to also be Mavericks compatible?

There are no plans to support legacy versions of QuarkXPress running on Mavericks prior to QuarkXPress 9. To much has changed in the Mac operating system and Mac hardware to make this viable.

cesar63

Post by cesar63 » 06 Nov 2013, 08:04

"Before the end of November..." you call that "good news"???? wow... I really do not envy your position... being the face of such a bad product... (if if not compatible with the mainstream platform it is bad... at least in real life).... Anyway.... if that are the good news... I do not even want to heard the bad ones...c

F-J Hartel

Post by F-J Hartel » 07 Nov 2013, 00:34

Dear Mathias,Good news? Until end of November we have to publish a new issue of one of our publications. In the meantime we have to use (try) indesign. I guess, this will be our last time we used quarkxpress and we used it for many, many years.franz-josef

Bjorn_Toulouse

Post by Bjorn_Toulouse » 07 Nov 2013, 01:19

If you've got ongoing publishing jobs running why did you upgrade to a new operating system BEFORE it was thoroughly tested with ALL the programs required?

fgowarty

Post by fgowarty » 07 Nov 2013, 05:24

I totally agree, it was a mistake to upgrade so soon, just cool down, take it slowly and DO NOT USE THE MOVE TOOL and the rest appears pretty stable. 3 weeks will fly by and you will be in a better place. Personally I see better performance in speed and memory issues on Mavericks with Quark 9.5. Switching to InDesign may create bigger headaches for you in terms of relearning the tools.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”