Slow Text QXP 7.5

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
eyoungren

Slow Text QXP 7.5

Post by eyoungren » 23 Mar 2009, 05:05

I have four legal documents. All are 11 inches by 16.667 inches with a 1 pica margin (all around). I'm using a 6 column box with a 1p gutter (62px96p). In this text box I have copy that is 6pt with 6pt leading.
I cannot make a hard return without a delay. I cannot switch from Microsoft Word with copy on the clipboard without a delay. I cannot paste without a delay. I cannot apply a style sheet without a delay. I cannot type without a lag in these documents. I can however move just as quickly through the document (except when going page to page) as I could in XPress 6.52.
These documents tend to be a max of 6 pages if we have a lot of legals. The delays are killing me. I did some research here and this seems to have been an issue in the past. To the point of an actual engineer acknowledging that XPress 7.x was rendering ALL of the text in a document whether it was currently visible on screen or not. That was for XPress 7.31. quark.com no longer seems to have it's Issues Resolved and Known Issues pages so I can't determine if this was resolved or not in XPress 7.5.
Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm not working on books here, but on average 2.5 pages with straight text in Times and Times Bold.
Oh yeah. These were originally XPress 4.x documents that were brought up into XPress 6.x. They are legacy documents, BUT I have appended the layouts to a new XPress 7 document, I have CTRL+OPTN opened and OPTN opened, and still the same problems. The only thing I haven't done is a thumbnail drag, but I'm not so certain that would work.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Slow Text QXP 7.5

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 23 Mar 2009, 06:23

Hi Erik!
I'd suggest you to do the thumbnail drag. One never knows!
I encountered a slight slow at typing text recently but not as slow as in previous version. (I'm still on 7.5 for the moment).

eyoungren

Slow Text QXP 7.5

Post by eyoungren » 23 Mar 2009, 06:27

Thanks Jean-Marie. Just tried it and on the desktop too. Sadly, no change. It's almost like I'm working in XPress 6.0. It's plenty fast on one page ads, but not on these documents.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Slow Text QXP 7.5

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 23 Mar 2009, 21:33

Sad! Have you tried to copy/paste the text in another box on the pasteboard and back in the main box? Or exporting the whole text with XPress tags and back reimporting it?
Or just as to see how it reacts to change the font? Or the view size on display?

eyoungren

Slow Text QXP 7.5

Post by eyoungren » 24 Mar 2009, 07:16

Jean-Marie, thanks for helping! I've tried exporint all the copy as raw text and bringing that copy back into a fresh document. I've changed the font. No joy! Still slows down.
I did discover this morning that I had some color profiles missing, but it seems to have no bearing on the document. I've got a few other things to try. Fortunately it isn't like these documents are my main working documents.

eyoungren

Slow Text QXP 7.5

Post by eyoungren » 07 Apr 2009, 10:31

Well, here are a few things I've tried...
Previously I had already used Monolingual so all the unnecessary languages and PPDs were stripped from the system when I first started this post. Quite by accident I discovered that a Brazilian language was still installed when I Got Info on the application, I uninstalled it.
I have reverted my display prefs to 8 bit color and 16 bit grayscale. As EPS previews are not all that important to my work inside the document, this is fine. It's helped somewhat. I used TinkerTool to turn off font smoothing. That's also helped a bit. And I'm using BeNicer to renice my CPU priority for XPress. I gave it the most priority. That has helped some too.
Still no speed demon and I definetely cannot manipulate text like I was in XPress 6.52. I'll keep hacking away though.
Interestingly enough whenever I enter new copy when I have a page with copy on it already (i.e., I start typing) my CPU will spike to 100% until XPress get's done inputting my copy. That's what led me to BeNicer. I'm thinking though that the CPU shouldn't spike to 100% just because I type in a short line of copy. So what's up with that?
Oh yeah. Turning off font smoothing definetely impacts XPress' menus, BUT it doesn't affect the copy itself in the document. So, I'm guessing XPress ignores any system prefs and does it's own thing with Quartz.

Craig Lanning

Slow Text QXP 7.5

Post by Craig Lanning » 13 Apr 2009, 08:27

Hi Erik,
Just saw your post as I was browsing through the forums and thought I'd chime in here. I notice your main design box is a G5. I have noticed a similar, though not as severe, slowdown on my home machine, also a G5, when typing/rendering text. I haven't seen the same performance hit on my work computer, an Intel Mac. We did do a lot of optimization work in the Universal Binary to take advantage of the Intel Mac's procesor and threading scheme, and I wonder if this might be affecting 7.5's performance on the PPC chips. I've noticed significant improvements in version 8, which I tested on my G5 and work machines for text rendering/entry. Have you tried the file out in version 8 just to see if there is any improvement? If you'd like us to take a look at the file, we'll be happy to do so--and check out the relative responses of QuarkXPress 7 and 8 onIntel vs. PPC. Please contact me privately if you want to take us up on the offer.

eyoungren

Slow Text QXP 7.5

Post by eyoungren » 13 Apr 2009, 08:57

Thanks Craig. I just emailed you.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”