Spell Check useless with International English

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Easybourne

Post by Easybourne » 02 Nov 2010, 02:22

I have a workflow where I convert artwork originated in the US for use in the UK. Apart from moving elements over to metric templates etc, a large part of my job is to Anglicise the text.
What I do is use the utilities>convert project language to make sure all text runs are converted from US English to 'International' English. Ideally, I want to run spell check to replace American spellings with British ones, but this invariably doesn't work as words such as Traveler, Worshiper etc aren't converted to the British versions with double letters (Traveller, Worshipper, etc).
Other examples of US spellings that are deemed to be correct by Quark's spell checker are Honor, Authorize etc. The odd thing is that Favor and Color are correctly picked up as being incorrect and will get changed to the British spelling.Presumably the internal dictionary is set up to allow both US and British spelling of certain words? Is it possible to to favo(u)r one over the other? Otherwise it seems pointless selecting a preferred language if you can't implement its spellings?I'm sure this didn't use to be a problem years ago...

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 03 Nov 2010, 06:51

Insert each misspelled word you find in the "Hyphenation Exception" and associate it with the desired language.
This tip works fine in my language (non-englis) and I think it might work for English language too.

Easybourne

Post by Easybourne » 03 Nov 2010, 21:01

Sorry but your suggestion doesn't work - my problem is not related to hyphenation.

My problem is with not being able to use British English spellings as a preferred dictionary. The International English dictionary allows for both the US and British spellings for certain words rendering it impossible to use spell check to anglicise American text.

Quark XPress needs a British English Dictionary!

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 04 Nov 2010, 00:00

Hi Easybourne,
you are right, that's indeed a bug in the libraries we use for International English.
We have notified the vendor of the libraries and received a fix for it. We wil test these now and then implement them into QuarkXPress. As soon as I know in which version this will be I'll let you know.
Thanks
Matthias

Easybourne

Post by Easybourne » 04 Nov 2010, 02:29

Hello Mattias,Thanks for the reply. That's good news about the forthcoming fix.At least I know now that I am not going mad! When it first happened I thought I was imagining it!Thanks,Easybourne

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 11 Nov 2010, 22:34

Hi all,
so the new libraries we received from our spellcheck and hyphenation vendor fixed these words.
Easybourne tested them and was satisfied, I let him speak for himself though ;-)
As unfortunately we cannot provide them in the upcoming 8.x update of QuarkXPress (we received them too late for proper testing), I will make them available here for anybody having issues with the current UK English dictionaries regarding spellchecking.
Download:
Send me an email (by logging into the forum and clicking on the "Contact" button above this post.

Installation instructions:
1) Make a backup of the libraries in /Applications/QuarkXPress 8/Required Components/Dictionaries.
2) Unzip the file I'll send you.
3) Replace the current libraries with the ones from the unzipped archive.

Disclaimer:
As these libraries are provided as-is and only for evaluation purposes, please test these thoroughly before using them in production. Also, be aware that you will have to use these at your own risk, as Quark cannot support these until they are part of an official release.
Enjoy!
Matthias

Easybourne

Post by Easybourne » 11 Nov 2010, 23:03

Thanks Matthias. Excellent service (as always)The new libraries have fixed the issue for me. I look forward to them becoming 'official', but in the meantime I can report that, for me, they installed easily and with no issues whatsoeverEasybourne

cstashuk

Post by cstashuk » 27 Jul 2011, 14:45

Hi Matthias,
Can you send me the Improved International English spellcheck library?
Thanks!!
Cathy Stashuk

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 27 Jul 2011, 22:05

Hi Cathy,
I sent them to you via mail.
Remember, you only need them if you are using QuarkXPress 8.x, the updated libraries are part of QuarkXPress 9.
Thanks
Matthias

LTD

Post by LTD » 27 Jul 2011, 23:47

Matthias, hi. Would you send me a copy of these as well. Still on v8 for now. Thanks.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”