Indexing failure

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Post Reply
DigbyJames
Posts: 8
Joined: 15 Dec 2004, 14:07

Indexing failure

Post by DigbyJames » 27 Jun 2013, 14:30

I finished indexing a book this morning. I saved. Built index. Wasn't quite right, made a few minor changes and built index again. I got the dread SPOD and had to force quit. Restarted Quark and opened the file, expecting it to be in its pre-crash saved state. The index had disappeared. Only three days work down the drain. I went back to a TimeMachine backup from late yesterday. No index markers or entries. I had exported an xpress tags files, so imported that. No index. I checked the xpress tags file. All the markers are there for the index. They refuse to appear on import. I started to reindex and got to page 50 (300 page book). Saved as a new version of the file. Index disappears, though the markers are still there. There appears to be something VERY flaky about indexing in Quark. I've just searched for other 3rd party options and there seems to be little serious alternative that works with Quark 9. Is there anything that can be done, things I should look for to fix this, or am I going to have to tell the author he's got to create the index himself?Quark version 9.5.2. MacOS X 10.6.8 running on a 2006 MacPro with 24GB memory.

AD
Posts: 320
Joined: 26 Jul 2006, 02:12

Indexing failure

Post by AD » 27 Jun 2013, 19:24

DigbyJames wrote:I had exported an xpress tags files, so imported that. No index. I checked the xpress tags file. All the markers are there for the index. They refuse to appear on import.

Make sure you have the index palette open while importing tags file, since entries only convert when its open.

migman
Posts: 2936
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 16:17

Indexing failure

Post by migman » 27 Jun 2013, 19:34

It's been a few years since I worked in book publishing, but even then I only had to do a few indexes (and that was with v6.5). I can't think of a reason why a backup from Time Machine wouldn't include the index, unless the backup was made before the index was part of the file. I'm not saying this is what happened in your case, but it's one possiblity.

I just did a quickie test with Quark 9.5, and a text file saved as XPressTags imported (with the Interpret XPress Tags box checked) back into Quark with the index entries intact, so I can tell you that the feature does work for me. This was with a 12-page file, so it's possible your 300-page file's complexity wore out the indexer, but that's just a guess. Would you consider splitting the book into chapters? That can have the benefits of making each smaller document less complex (and therefore less likely to become corrupt), and if you lose one chapter, you don't have to redo the whole book.
Aso, was this book started from the beginning with Quark 9.52, or did you open an older file and resave? I seem to remember something about converting a legacy document to the new version by holding modifier keys while opening, but I don't remember if that was for Quark or something else. Maybe give that a Googling and see if you come up with something for that.

DigbyJames
Posts: 8
Joined: 15 Dec 2004, 14:07

Indexing failure

Post by DigbyJames » 27 Jun 2013, 23:39

Thanks for taking the time to reply.This book is based on one that started life in Quark 8. I opened it from the File Open dialogue and held down the option key to fully convert to version 9. The index palette is usually open on this machine.The fully indexed Xpress Tags file looks odd. Each entry has:indexed phrasewhereas the one I've just created from redoing the first 43 pages has:indexed phraseFrom what I read about Xpress tags that shouldn't make any difference. By the full Xpress Tags file won't bring in the index, the first 43 page file does.I might have a got at splitting into chapters, but I did read of someone who had indexing problems doing it that way (using the Quark Book function).I've just heard from the author and he's volunteering to do the index, so that is probably my easy way out for this one, but I'll need a solution for next time.

dominick42
Posts: 6
Joined: 02 Mar 2013, 17:37

Indexing failure

Post by dominick42 » 30 Jun 2013, 04:47

My problem with the index is currently limited to failure to replace an existing build.

Post Reply

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”