Column Divide

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
earthlybeauty

Column Divide

Post by earthlybeauty » 14 May 2005, 05:35

I am using Version 5. I made 2 columns, but what I can't seem to figure out is how to create a solid line within the gutter space. Any suggestions out there or it simply something that I over looked, but at any rate I could use someone more knowlegable advice.

marcusstringer

Column Divide

Post by marcusstringer » 16 May 2005, 17:19

You will have to use a stroke (line tool) and place it on the Master page if you want it on every page.

sfg

Column Divide

Post by sfg » 26 Aug 2005, 15:37

Sometimes I will create a text box with columns in it just to act as a template for dividing up a horizontal space evenly. It is a small problem, because of the gutter, to get a guide exactly in the middle of the spaces. But I now found that creating a table for the purpose of template works better because - no gutter!

You can also create several rules and use "space/align" to divide up the space. But I find that the table works faster.

Don't know if this is the purpose you had in mind, but thought it might help.

bluegreen

Column Divide

Post by bluegreen » 09 Sep 2005, 10:01

Sounds like you want to create column rules, like many magazines and newspapers use. If you don't do it often you might use the tables tool and then set all the horizontal rules to none and all of the verticle rules except the one dividing the columns to none. That's a bit of a pain for more than one or two tables, though.

As mentioned above, on a more extensive scale, text boxes on master pages with the rule drawn as a graphic object would be more effective.

There is no automatic "column rule" for text boxes, but maybe that might be a feature that Quark could add, much like being able to edit the line characteristics (gap color, size, etc). Maybe a check box in the modify dialog next to the column settings could indicate whether to create the box with column rules, and thickness setting.

PC Graphics Report

Column Divide

Post by PC Graphics Report » 09 Sep 2005, 17:20

If this happens, I also want to be able to control the length, as I seldom want my rule to come right to the top or booom of a coumn.
And while the are about it, make sure to include line weight and color.
I find if we don't spell out the particlulars some engineer assumes they know what you want.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”