Mac/Quark stability

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
PC Graphics Report

Mac/Quark stability

Post by PC Graphics Report » 27 Aug 2004, 12:07

Every time I come to check out the forum, about every couple of days, I see that nearly every problem concerns the Mac. Most of these involve OSX.
Am I right in assuming that the PC is a lot more stable?
Or:
1 There are many more Mac users than PC. I guess this is the case but certainly not likely to be in the proportions I am seeing
2 Mac people are confused about OSX
3 Quark on the PC is just better

I am not trying to start a pltform war. I use both, but it has become very noticable and interesting.

Anyone any ideas?

John

J Talmadge

Mac/Quark stability

Post by J Talmadge » 27 Aug 2004, 14:11

Since we don't use PC's I really can't be a judge. But, because Apple has designed OS X to be a multi user platform, there are fonts all over the operating system that causes nightmares for some of its' users and applications. You would think that the developers of mac based applications and Apple, would work more closely with one another to make various issues, such as fonts, blind to the user interface experience. But alas, no such luck for us users.

J Talmadge

Mac/Quark stability

Post by J Talmadge » 30 Aug 2004, 11:32

Are you activating your fonts for QXP as needed with FAP or are you using auto-activation? Also, does Safari work? And, if you are activating fonts as needed, do all of your fonts show-up in QXP font list?

We tried Suitcase X1 and after hours and hours and hours on the phone with Extensis, Quark & Apple Tech supports, we had to switch to FontBook because Safari wouldn't work if the SC auto-activation was on.

jill.barringer

Mac/Quark stability

Post by jill.barringer » 31 Aug 2004, 11:22

I use both Macs and PCs and all versions of Quark. I don't use Quark like a designer or an seriously experienced creative, but more of a 'lite' user. I don't tax Quark with lots of complicated font issues, massive documents, or too much pdf-ing. :lol:

However, I find that my Mac crashes regularly and it is a very rare occurrence if my PC crashes at all. I'm sure Macs do have vast, untapped (by me) capabilities and they sure do look pretty :wink: , so, I prefer to work with the one that works when I need it and doesn't cost me time - PC, particularly as Quark works otherwise identically on both.

jill

Tom Owens

Mac/Quark stability

Post by Tom Owens » 31 Aug 2004, 11:32

particularly as Quark works otherwise identically on both.

The only thing that makes the Mac FAR superior to the PC are the keyboard shortcuts. If you're a heavy user, the Mac eats the PC alive for speed and ease in that respect.

Other than that though, you're right. I have both. The PC crashes far less. I'll still take the Mac for working though.

Regards,
Tom

jill.barringer

Mac/Quark stability

Post by jill.barringer » 01 Sep 2004, 03:21

Hi wildalaskan

Yeah, I know it shouldn't be crashing frequently, but it does! I work in both OS9 and OSX (X crashes more). As I said, I'm a very 'light' user and I don't use any other fonts than are supplied, so that shouldn't be an issue should it?

I don't have to read books about Windows, so I certainly don't feel like reading up on why my Mac OS is temperamental, particularly when I have the luxury of both platforms.

Still, what you do point out, about the keyboard shortcuts, I will get into more. I'm still in 'teach myself' mode about Quark and I find it fascinating.

jill

jill.barringer

Mac/Quark stability

Post by jill.barringer » 02 Sep 2004, 06:05

Thanks wildalaskan, I'll have another go at Repair Permissions. I tried once and it got a bit confusing for a PC user. (UPDATE: Didn't know where I was looking before, it's running now and repairing lots!)

I do have 10.3.5 but I can't leave the Mac on all the time as it has screen deteriation issues :roll: which are only solved by shutting it down every night (screen goes pleasant purple and green tints from the bottom corners, we'd return it, but we can't be without it for a week).

I will check out the apple forum now, thanks. Maybe it'll tell me why my Mac Help doesn't work either!

jill

haste

Mac/Quark stability

Post by haste » 04 Sep 2004, 04:38

We run Mac OX X 10.3.5 and Quark 6.1 (for backwards compatibility) at the college newspaper where I work. When you talk about stability on a Mac, you truly need to look at the entire picture.

OS X, as wonderful as it is, is NOT meant to run on anything less than a G4, 500 MHz, with at least 512 MB of RAM. Apple might give you lower powered minimal requirements, but that's a pretty barebones installation they're talking about. OS X requires more memory because of how advanced the operating system is.

It's comparable to Windows XP's minimum requirement of a 233 MHz Intel Pentium/Celeron, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, and 128 MB of RAM. It'll boot, sure, it'll just be a slow as hell.

Secondly, don't try to run Quark 5.1 or 4.11 on OS X because it requires the Classic environment to work. Although the classic environment has much improved significantly since 10.1, or even 10.2, it's still an emulated process.

The others were right regarding repairing permissions. While Apple doesn't like to publicly admit it, repairing permissions is something that one must do.

laughing_monk

Mac/Quark stability

Post by laughing_monk » 06 Sep 2004, 02:04

Hi All,

Here are my two cents.

Most of the problems with QuarkXPress crashing on a Mac are related to OS X issues....improper access to fonts..corrupt fonts..fonts not activating in the font management utilities etc. I think QuarkXPress on a Windows machine is lot more stable.Most of the printing problems that occur are on a Mac.Its again bad printer drivers corrupt PPDs.I feel right now OS X is itself less stable then Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

jill.barringer

Mac/Quark stability

Post by jill.barringer » 06 Sep 2004, 04:16

Hi Haste

Well I think I've got a newish G4 with upgraded RAM (it's a tragic eMac). I really don't have as much problems in OS9 Classic on my OSX-booting machine - OSX is the unstable one. It's very much slower than the other G4s here, but it probably gets much more work.

I'm not totally sure the 'repair permissions' has made a huge change, but it's certainly done something! :D As per the Apple website (thanks wildalaskan) I repaired permissions twice in a row on Friday and it hasn't crashed in OSX yet. Many, many permissions were repaired!

I agree with Haste that you need to look at the whole picture with regards to stability, not just Quark on a specific platform. However, with that in mind, I still feel that PCs are hugely more stable than Macs. AND as a 'I don't care how it works, I just want it to work', I feel let down by Apple that crashing appears to be an acceptable aspect of owning a Mac.

jill

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”