QuarkXPress and OS X Mountain Lion

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 24 Jul 2012, 10:57

With the release of OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on Jul 25, Apple introduced a new security feature called Gatekeeper, which helps you to keep your computer free of malicious software that you downlaoded. Gatekeeper allows only software from trusted sources to be installed: Apps from the Mac App Store, and apps from registered software vendors who have built their installers with a Gatekeeper signature.
Because QuarkXPress 9.3 was released before Apple introduced this new feature, Gatekeeper (at its default settings) does not allow the installer for QuarkXPress 9.3 (or earlier) to launch if you try to install from a downloaded Installer.
However, there are two ways to install QuarkXPress 9.3 (or earlier) under Mountain Lion:

[ulist]
[*]Control+click/right-click the installer icon and choose Open.[*]Open System Preferences, click Security and Privacy, display the General tab, and then click Anywhere under Allow applications downloaded from.
(After installation, be sure to return this setting to its default state.)[/ulist]While Quark has been testing with Mountain Lion for several months, the team is currently wrapping up testing. So in a few weeks, Quark will release a free update for QuarkXPress 9 that is compatible with Gatekeeper and has been extensively tested on the release version of Mountain Lion. That version of QuarkXPress will be the first version officially supported on Mountain Lion.
Until this upcoming version is released, Quark recommends that you use QuarkXPress 9.3 on Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion.
Update Aug 5:
Current test results and customer feedback show that for most customers QuarkXPress 9 seems to work fine under Mountain Lion with the exception of the Gatekeeper limitation.
However when using Mountain Lion with a few specific Graphics Cards, the Welcome Screen of QuarkXPress causes the application to crash. So far we know of ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5750M, ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5770 and ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6750M having this issue.
Remedy: Remove the "Welcome Sceen.xnt" from the XTensions folder.
We are working on a fix for this.

Update Aug 13:
We just released QuarkXPress 9.3.1, which is now also supported under Mountain Lion.

Regards
Matthias

michaelhope

Post by michaelhope » 25 Jul 2012, 08:53

I was wondering why we need to wait a few weeks Matthias? I feel like Quark has had ample time to meet the requirements of both this new OS update and Quark's (in this case, LONG TIME) customers. It seems I could update Quark and then install the new Mountain Lion OS and bypass the gatekeeper issue, no? Was this GateKeeper change a surprise feature, or was this something Quark is unable to program for?Perhaps you can sense my frustration with Quark Matthias as this seems to be a recurring theme. In the last update of Quark, all my tools were hidden behind grey boxes due to an incompatibility with the OS. Are these things with which Apple keeps blindsiding Quark?Why is it Adobe and their CS5 (let alone 6) seem to have prepared themselves for this update, yet us dyed in the wool Quark users are left standing at the gate(keeper)?Can you give us all a sense of your release date rather than "in a few weeks"? Please.

phil_w

Post by phil_w » 25 Jul 2012, 08:56

Slightly off topic but Mountain Lion related - unless I've just imagined it the tool icons are back in Quark 8.5.1 without using the xtensions manager workaround...

michaelhope

Post by michaelhope » 25 Jul 2012, 10:23

When updating from 9.2-9.2.1 (or thereabouts), there was a bug where all tools disappeared due to an incompatibility with the recent OS update in Lion. Now, if you use Quark regularly, this was not that big a deal in that you use keyboards to select tools anyway, but for a few of my designers (who I still can not thrash into some keyboard shortcuts), this was an issue. Do we need to be subjected to the inability to see our toolbox, really?

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 25 Jul 2012, 23:23

Hi Phil,
yes, Apple provided a fix in OS X 10.7.3 that reverted/fixed the API change that occured in 10.7.2, so that all toolbars show again. Prior to this we also made a change in QuarkXPress 9.3, so that the tools in v9 show even if you use 10.7.2.
Regards
Matthias

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 25 Jul 2012, 23:41

Hi Michael,
Gatekeeper support is a quick fix and we could submit that immediately, yes. And you are right, it is easy to workaround the missing Gatekeeper support as described aboveand we have feedback from customers who seem to have found it working perfectly.

We have been working closely with Apple to get our software tested and optimized for the new version of OS X. Still, to be able to support a new OS X properly and to provide fixes (if needed at all), what we need to wait for is the release of a new OS X and test QuarkXPress with that. We have seen with both operating systems that sometimes there are legitimate last minute changes between the official GM and the final release.
To be able to support QuarkXPress on the release of Mountain Lion and to be able to tell you what might not be working and provide fixes, we need to conduct extensive tests. And as thorough testing does take some time (30+ languages, different computer models, workflows etc.), this will take some time. Of course as you we want this to happen as soon as possible and will alert everyone here once it's done.
I hope this explains it.
Best regards
Matthias

paulmeehan

Post by paulmeehan » 26 Jul 2012, 02:42

will Quark 8.5.1 work on Mac Mountain Lion?

phil_w

Post by phil_w » 26 Jul 2012, 02:44

paulmeehan wrote:will Quark 8.5.1 work on Mac Mountain Lion?
As per my previous post - yes, its seems to be all ok :-)

michaelhope

Post by michaelhope » 26 Jul 2012, 06:30

Thanks Matthias, I will try to remain calm.

ARI-Boy

Post by ARI-Boy » 26 Jul 2012, 07:48

I'm with you on your original post Michael... I think it's another poor effort on Quark's part that their software is not without teething problems upon release of Mountain Lion. Developer previews have been around for ages, and most other MAJOR software developers do not have these kind of problems. As you said, Adobe seem to have got their house in order and software is compatible from day one. Why isn't this the case with QuarkXPress? If Quark were a two-bob company that sold their software for 50 I could understand their point. However they masquerade as a software giant selling their applications for 800! I don't think it's too much to expect the software to be ready upon the new OS release, if other major software companies can do it. No wonder QuarkXPress has a dwindling user base. Unimpressed (again!).

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”