QuarkXPress and OS X Mountain Lion

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
rickpoet

Post by rickpoet » 31 Jul 2012, 10:10

Quick report from the trenches...using Quark 9.3 with Mountain Lion...seems to work fine when I'm using it but I've found if the app is in the background it frequently quits...seems to be nice enough to not quit when I'm actually producing something...but even with no Quark document open if Quark is not the active app it quits frequently...

LTD

Post by LTD » 31 Jul 2012, 22:39

It's a feature of 10.8. If system resources are getting tight, it'll quit inactive apps. Welcome to your new OS ; )

Hans G. Kegel

Post by Hans G. Kegel » 31 Jul 2012, 23:04

Ok ... first problem with QuarkXpress (9.3) under Mountain Lion ... if QXP and Illustrator CS5 (v. 5.1 - part of the Adobe Master Collection CS5) are opened at the same time, QuarkXPress stops working and shows the rainbow wheel always ... than it's not possible to work with QuarkXPress ... Illustrator however works fine. As soon as we quit Illustrator, QuarkXPress will "come back" after a few seconds and everythin is fine again ... curious ... !!!Additionally: With Illustrator CS6 (also Part of Adobe Master Collection) everything is fine ... hm ?!

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 01 Aug 2012, 01:41

Hi rickpoet,
Does a crash log get generated when QXP 9.3 quits? Could you kindly send me the crash log at [url=mailto:sinair@quark.com]sinair@quark.com[/url]
~Sirish

polkawithfontana

Post by polkawithfontana » 01 Aug 2012, 12:00

I can not open files in Quark 9.3 since updating to Mountain Lion on the Mac. I have cleaned the font cache because I can open files that have an imported Illustrator eps. I cleared the Font Book's database and the systems font cache files. But still the file won't open. The same file opens on another computer with 9.3 and system 10.7 without a problem. I have Suitcase Fusion 4 for font management. The file does not open but hangs in the middle of the progress bar.I can't stop it. But only when I quite Quark and than cancel in the window that appears I can open a file which again stops in the middle. So Quark does not crash but hangs during opening a file.
Does anyone know how I can solve that problem?

rickpoet

Post by rickpoet » 01 Aug 2012, 13:36

LTD wrote:It's a feature of 10.8. If system resources are getting tight, it'll quit inactive apps. Welcome to your new OS ; )
Hmm...no other inactive apps quit...and I've got plenty of system resources to go around. :)

rickpoet

Post by rickpoet » 01 Aug 2012, 14:05

Sirish Nair (Quark) wrote:Hi rickpoet,
Does a crash log get generated when QXP 9.3 quits? Could you kindly send me the crash log at [url=mailto:sinair@quark.com]sinair@quark.com[/url]
~Sirish
Just emailed one Sirish...thanks!Rick

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 01 Aug 2012, 18:58

Hi polkawithfontana,
Could you kindly send me the files which are not opening QXP 9.3? Also send me the fonts and imagesused in the files? If possible, kindly also send the activity log of QXP 9.3when in hang state(Invoke Activity Mointor from Utilities > Select QXP 9.3 application > Click Sample> Save the activity log).
You can mail me at [url=mailto:sinair@quark.com]sinair@quark.com[/url]
~Sirish

AD

Post by AD » 02 Aug 2012, 01:38

rickpoet wrote:Quick report from the trenches...using Quark 9.3 with Mountain Lion...seems to work fine when I'm using it but I've found if the app is in the background it frequently quits...seems to be nice enough to not quit when I'm actually producing something...but even with no Quark document open if Quark is not the active app it quits frequently...

Try turning sleep settings to never in system preferences > energy saver

Leander Jahoda CORPORATE FILM

Post by Leander Jahoda CORPORATE FILM » 02 Aug 2012, 02:08

in QXP 9.3 we have crash after crashregards Leander

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”