Cant pdf separations in Quark 9

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Strummer

Post by Strummer » 10 Feb 2012, 05:03

Just tried to send a pdf off to a printer of a file set up as3 colour. Tried to pdf as separations but comes out as composite. Had to back save to my trusty Quark 8 to get me out of trouble again. Is this an issue in Quark 9? Couldnt send the file to the printer as they don't use Quark (who does these day?) so relying on a previous version.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 13 Feb 2012, 02:09

t/26221.aspx?PageIndex=2

2nd post from bottom for a link from Matthais

Strummer

Post by Strummer » 14 Feb 2012, 22:52

Thanks for that. Managed to save as spot colours with most of the file when pdf'd but it wouldnt split the 2 colour PSD file, instead converting it to 4 colour. Printer managed to sort it in the end by opening in InDesign! Says it all really. It's the final nail in the Quark coffin for me, moving over to InDesign. Created my first InDesign file yesterday so will slowly move everything over. Thanks again

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 14 Feb 2012, 23:38

Hmmm .psd is the one format that IS supposed to work through to composite PDF, I hope deprecating host based separations in q9 hasn't messed this up. (: I think the lid is on my quark coffin but still a few more nails to go.

Strummer

Post by Strummer » 15 Feb 2012, 00:03

That's what I thought! I think they're concentrating too much on the interactive / iPad side of things and the print side is fading. There's quite a few problems I've got with Quark now that I've raised with Quark but no fix or no solution is offered. It's really slowing down our work flow and giving us problems we shouldn't have. I think there'll be a few Quark funerals this year!

Dan Logan

Post by Dan Logan » 15 Feb 2012, 04:56

Are you using Multichannel mode or CMYK+Spot in Photoshop? Since you're just doing 2 color you should be using Multichannel, in which case it's woking on my side (in composite output, as mentioned earlier we no longer support "host based" separations in QuarkXPress 9). You do need to set the output color setup to CMYK+Spot or In-RIP Separations. Try changing your PSD to Multichannel.

Dan Logan
Product Manager, QuarkXPress

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 15 Feb 2012, 05:09

Would an output color setup of As Is not work with a multichannel psd?

tothepoint

Post by tothepoint » 05 Apr 2013, 03:49

What is the workaround/fix to create pdf separations in Quark 9?

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”