How to export from QuarkXpress to XML

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
JP46

Post by JP46 » 07 Apr 2014, 22:38

Hi,My Editorial department needs the ability to be able to export documents from Quark to XML for easy import to the web.Is this possible?Regards,JP

gdrake
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by gdrake » 08 Apr 2014, 04:29

JP,

while that sounds like a simple question and request, it's pretty complicated. XML (valid XML that is) is a structured content format, like data in a database. What's on your page in QuarkXPress is not highly structured. Sure it has styling which implies some structure e.g. this is a heading, this is a subhead, but it doesn't provide the complete structure as to which image relates to which text, how to handle inline content etc. This would be required by your Web team if they wanted to import it into a Web content management system. There is a solution by a Quark partner called Easypress Technologies (http://www.easypress.com/products/atomik-xport) that an an XTension for QuarkXPress that tries to tackle this challenge of discerning XML structure from an unstructured page. I'm afraid I don't know their pricing but this is a high-end tool performing a complex job for large companies.

For these reasons and more, at Quark we rarely recommend a workflow that starts with a finished print document and then involves Xml exporting, copying and paying, rekeying etc, to get out to other media. Our approach and that of our dynamic publishing customers, is to start with Smart Content (using XML) first and then you can automatically assemble and format the XML content for whatever output channel you need, whether than be print, PDF, HTML, mobile apps, content syndication partners etc. The types of companies that we are deploying these solutions are tend to be ones that are dealing with a large amount of content where the return on investment is significant. You can find out more on the Quark Enterprise Solutions section of our Web site. Depending on your industry and type of publication, there are specific solutions available for financial services, manufacturing and government. Two key products to look at are Quark XML Author (for creating XML using Microsoft Word) and Quark Publishing Platform (for managing and content components, collaborating and publishing)

There is unfortunately no free and easy golden bullet to solve this. It usually involves workflow changes and investment. The good news is we know how to help customers get to "create once and publish everywhere" and if you're in the market for that type of solution, please let us know. I hope this helps.

Gavin

JP46

Post by JP46 » 08 Apr 2014, 20:21

Hi Gavin,Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.I am currently looking into Atomik Xport, and it looks pretty good. Another question though. Does this software get installed and setup on the Quark server of is it all done from the user end?Regards,JP Meiring

gdrake
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by gdrake » 09 Apr 2014, 03:26

Hi there, If you're referring to Atomik Xport, I believe it's XTensions software that gets installed on the local client machine in the QuarkXPress XTensions folder. You would need to check with Easypress Technologies to find out the details. Gavin

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”