QXP10: How to assign indent level to paragraph style?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Giansauna

QXP10: How to assign indent level to paragraph style?

Post by Giansauna » 24 Aug 2014, 02:56

Hi,
I'm working on a long text with a lot of scientific numbered titles in outline style like this:
1. Title
1.1. Subtitle
1.1.1 Sub-subtitle
I have 6 levels of titles and subtitles, a mix-up with numbers and letters. I managed to establish an outline style with the 6 levels which is working fine, but I'm stuck now at attaching these 6 levels to the 6 paragraph styles of the titles. All I found is increasing the indent manually in the paragraph palette – for each title in my document!!! There are literally hundreds of them and assigning the indent levels manually to them will not just consume a lot of time, it's also a source for hard-to-find mistakes. And am I supposed to do the whole process again for the table of content? Seriously???
Is it true that QXP10 is not capable of attaching the indent level to a paragraph style?! I cannot believe this. Please, someone give me a hint on how to have done this automatically.

omegaman

Re: QXP10: How to assign indent level to paragraph style?

Post by omegaman » 24 Aug 2014, 04:40

Found the following info… not sure if its what you are after.

Edit Numbering Style dialog box
An outline style defines indents for up to nine indent levels. You can associate a bullet or numbering style with each level. You can also choose whether to include the numbers from previous levels, as you would in some types of outline.

To associate a Bullet, Numbering, or Outline style with a paragraph style sheet
Display the Formats tab of the Edit Paragraph Style Sheet dialog box (Edit > Style Sheets > New or Edit).
Choose a bullet, numbering, or outline style from the •/123 drop-down menu.

http://support.appstudio.net/link/porta ... kXPress-10
27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.5 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9 and 2015 / Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo / Acorn / Pinegrow Web Designer
http://www.e-assistance.com.au

Giansauna

Post by Giansauna » 24 Aug 2014, 10:25

Hi,
thank you for this link. Unfortunately, my problem is not covered there. I was able to build a nice outline style with 6 levels and 6 different paragraph styles. So far, so good. My problem is now, that the level of indent cannot be assigned to a certain paragraph style. This results in the problem, that I have to change the level of indent manually with each new title! So, while formatting my text, I have to do for each title the following steps manually:
1. assigning the according paragraph style (out of 6) to the title
2. assigning the corresponding indent level by clicking several times on the indent button in the paragraph palette (one click for 1 step down the hierarchy of my outline style)

With about 300 different titles on 6 levels, this is a rather time consuming and error-prone task. And I will do this twice, since the list for the table of content need corresponding numberings. So, it should at least be possible to combine title paragraph style and outline indent level to have a reliable and automated formatting of numbered titles on several hierarchy levels. But I cannot see how this could be done in QXP10.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 24 Aug 2014, 16:19

I have only done a few tech manuals with indented numbering, a couple in version 3, a couple in version 9, none in version 10...but it works as in version 9.

It is hard for me to understand the work flow, sorry. A sample text file, Quark file, screen shots or whatever might make it easier for me to understand.

In the manuals I have done with outline numbered steps, all but one came to me in word processing files with the numbering intact, and I decided to save them out as plain text with the numbering, then run through and assign paragraph styles which I made the indents needed for the hierarchy of the numbering. For those, I assigned keyboard shortcuts so it was fairly quick and painless to format as I went. On another publication, the outline numbering had been entered manually in a plain text file and so I again only used paragraph styles.

One publication the original documents had been lost and it was re-keyed by someone else with only paragraph indents for each level. So for it, I set up the outline numbering style. I agree that it would be expedient to be able to assign paragraph styles to the level of the outline instead of just a character style to the number itself.

After my one and only publication that I used an outline numbering style sheet, I decided I would rather just use paragraph styles to provide the indentation. At least as long as I can export from Word or whatever as plain text and retain the numbering (which Word will do). If I was keying in the text and needed indented numbering where the paragraph styles needed to change with the level, using the outline styles in combination with paragraph/character styles that I used shortcuts for wouldn't be onerous. But I rarely am the writer of the text.

Mike

Giansauna

Post by Giansauna » 26 Aug 2014, 09:30

Hi Mike,
thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I have no pre-existing numbering – it should be done be me (or by my software...).
But I understand now, that I did not miss a point: QXP10 obviously cannot assign outline style levels to its according paragraph styles. After several hours of trying and searching the web for a suitable solution, I found that not acceptable for me. That's why I switched to InDesign now, where automatic numbering with several levels is what it should be: automatic.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 27 Aug 2014, 03:37

In order to increase or decrease indent, you'll want to click a little icon in the Measurement palette, Paragraph tab, Indent left (decrease indent) or right (increase indent). HTH.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 27 Aug 2014, 09:09

Yes, one needs to click on the indent button, then assign a paragraph style if the style is in any way different than the preceding style.

It would be more efficient if one had a shortcut key to increase/decrease the indent levels. Ultimately, how ID works by using paragraph styles would be nice. Not that ID is perfect in its use of numbering. I think I have helped two people in the past week on the ID forum with numbering...

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”