Something like InDesign's TagPanel feature in QuarkXPress?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
MS22

Something like InDesign's TagPanel feature in QuarkXPress?

Post by MS22 » 10 Mar 2015, 04:25

Hi All,

I'm looking for something similar to InDesign's Tag Panel feature in Quark XPress 9. The InDesign's tag panel is used to tag page items (text and images) and then we can export the tagged InDesign document as XML(in exported XML we have story text if tagged item is a text frame and have image file path if tagged item is graphic type). I was looking for something similar to this in Quark XPress 9 but was unable to find.

Just wanted to make sure that there is no such thing in Quark XPress 9 similar to above.

And if not then any suggestion on how to achieve this on Quark XPress 9(without using any 3rd party plugin)

Thanks.

MikeWenzloff

Re: Something like InDesign's TagPanel feature in QuarkXPres

Post by MikeWenzloff » 10 Mar 2015, 12:26

XML is gone in Q10 and up. May or may not ever be back from what I have read.

There is no native facility akin to ID's tagging panel. Q can export tagged text.

Mike

MS22

Post by MS22 » 13 Mar 2015, 04:18

Thanks Mike, but what I've understood from your reply is that XML was there in version QXP 9. Write?
But what you are referring here as XML in terms of QXP 9 ? I mean could we export story text, placed graphic link locations as an XML file in QXP 9?

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 13 Mar 2015, 06:02

There are two different things about importing and exporting XML.

Importing was available in v. 7, 8 and 9 if I am right.
Exporting XML could be done in QuarkXPress v.6.
In v.10 neither importing, nor exporting are available.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 13 Mar 2015, 11:34

MS22 wrote:Thanks Mike, but what I've understood from your reply is that XML was there in version QXP 9. Write?
But what you are referring here as XML in terms of QXP 9 ? I mean could we export story text, placed graphic link locations as an XML file in QXP 9?
Yes, I use QXP 9 for XML import. I have never used an XML out process from QXP or ID.

I actually had this discussion the other day on the ID forums, where the person was desiring to use ID's XML export aking to using ID as the middle position of an XML workflow. That is, for creating content in ID, going to print and XML out for originating and updating web content.

The main problem for either application is that they are properly (or maybe just currently) positioned at the end of an XML work-flow. The XML capabilities in either application really are not optimized for XML out. For either application, without the use of plug-ins, I think the best XML out process would be ePub, unzip the ePub structure, then use XSLT transforms to make it into something viable. The "I think" part is theory because that process is way outside my work-flow.

I think that if I was tasked with this onerous job of XML out, I would really, really, investigate using tagged text and XSLTs to transform that tagged text. And likely it would still require a commercial plug-in. I like the fuller tagged text that Em Data's plug-in uses myself. I mention that plug-in because I have been using a trial version of it and I am likely going to move my Access databases from spitting out XML to Em Data's tagged text. It's more "future" proof and one can do a whole lot more with the layout than with XML elements.

Well, that's my 2-cents worth of babble.

Mike

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”