Pictures appear to be interpreted as text.

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
halmacd

Pictures appear to be interpreted as text.

Post by halmacd » 03 Sep 2015, 09:44

While importing some pictures into a picture box in Quark, the pictures appear as text, usually a description of the picture, tags, etc. I am using Yosemite and Quark 10.5.2. This does not happen with all pictures. It does happen to all pictures from a certain source. I have checked out the pictures in Photoshop and even saved them to a different format. Same thing.

MikeWenzloff

Re: Pictures appear to be interpreted as text.

Post by MikeWenzloff » 03 Sep 2015, 11:08

I don't know if the result would be the same on a PC, which I use. But it would be good to upload a sample image that does this.

Mike

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 03 Sep 2015, 17:40

Would the 'pictures' in question be EPS files that have been saved without an image preview?

halmacd

Post by halmacd » 04 Sep 2015, 09:06

The pictures are jpgs and tiffs. The pictures were prepared on one mac, uploaded to our server (unix based running Ubantu) and then copied to my Mac. I even made a fresh quark document and tried to import the pictures by it appears that quark thinks they are text.
Here is a sample picture.
Attachments
Test.tif
Test.tif (25.44 KiB) Viewed 5381 times

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 04 Sep 2015, 10:57

You will need to either ZIP the file to get it to attach properly, and or upload it to dropbox.com or the like and provide a download link.

Off hand, it doesn't sound like the files are being written properly either when they are put on the server or when they are copied down to your computer. In other words, it sounds like something is corrupting the bits in the file, or perhaps just a resource fork, a token or whatever is being copied instead of the image proper...but I don't use a Mac.

Mike

halmacd

Post by halmacd » 25 May 2016, 10:00

Solved the problem. I am using Quark 10 for Mac. I also have VM Fusion on my Mac for printing. The job folder name ended with a question mark. Every image in that folder and in every other folder ending with a question mark caused the same problem. Solution: No question marks in folder title.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”