PSD Import: What works, what doesn't?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
karendesign

Post by karendesign » 24 Feb 2012, 09:09

I understand that "complex" PSD files don't import into QXP very well (I'm using 8.5). I have no trouble importing most PSDs, but have one that won't import. The error message displayed is "This image format is not currently supported by this version of PSD Import. [10044]"
The file in question is a duotone, with just one layer and one channel. It's about 6 Mb. I do need a good screen rendering of this image inside the Quark doc, so what's the best way to get it--as a PDF? Something else?
And where or what is the breaking point between "complex" and importable when it comes to PSDs?
Thanks very much,
Karen

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 24 Feb 2012, 11:02

karendesign wrote:The file in question is a duotone, with just one layer and one channel. It's about 6 Mb. I do need a good screen rendering of this image inside the Quark doc, so what's the best way to get it--as a PDF? Something else?

Traditionally, the format for a duotone has always been a DCS file. DCS 1.0 will save out 1 file for each plate, plus 1 file for image preview. DCS 2.0 was a revision of 1.0 and gives you just one file. Whatever DCS format you use the files are actually EPS files. That allows you to embed vector data if you have any vector information in your file.
karendesign wrote:And where or what is the breaking point between "complex" and importable when it comes to PSDs?

Complex is defined as any PSD that uses layer effects or mixing effects. I.e., dropshadows, outer glows, multiply, overlay, hard light, etc.

karendesign

Post by karendesign » 24 Feb 2012, 12:05

Erik,
Thanks for a clear and concise reply. Now I get it. :-).
Best,
Karen

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 27 Feb 2012, 00:14

DCS will not work if your goal is composite output, Quark (unlike InDesign and Illustrator) can only use this for separated output. I think current advice is not to use Duotone mode but to use Multichannel instead and save as PSD, finally you must use use CMYK + Spot as your output space from quark.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 27 Feb 2012, 00:19

A different work-around, since you say the duotone is a single channel, is to convert it to greyscale and save it as a tif, then replicate the duotone effect directly in Quark using a multi-ink swatch, and possibly Image Effects.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 27 Feb 2012, 09:03

Glenn McDowall wrote:I think current advice is not to use Duotone mode
Duotone mode works well for me if imported as EPS an using a composite output.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 28 Feb 2012, 01:52

Thanks rcantin. Sometimes you read DCS and PSD and miss the simpler solution Duotone as EPS should work too [:)]

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 28 Feb 2012, 01:57

Glenn McDowall wrote:Duotone as EPS should work too
Glad to read that EPS is not completely dead after all!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 28 Feb 2012, 02:04

rcantin wrote:
Glenn McDowall wrote:Duotone as EPS should work too

Glad to read that EPS is not completely dead after all!

He he he he he! What was that about EPS again Glenn? :D

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 28 Feb 2012, 02:07

Just don't try it with a spot colour "Norwegian BLUE" ! [;)]

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”