Need Answers to text issue when creating pdfs

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
JKeeneye

Need Answers to text issue when creating pdfs

Post by JKeeneye » 16 Mar 2016, 08:38

When I create a pdf from Quark (10.0.02 version) the text is saving as individual letters instead of keeping my sentences in tact as a continuous paragraph. I have to convert the pdf to an ai file. When I open my Quark pdf in Adobe Illustrator CC the text is not continuous but each letter is individual? My OS is 10.9.5. Does anyone know if there is a way for this not to happen?

UtahLlama

Re: Need Answers to text issue when creating pdfs

Post by UtahLlama » 16 Mar 2016, 14:16

AFAIK pdf has no sense of what a Paragraph is :!: Editing text in a paragraph using Pitstop is usually a time consuming line by line chore, at worst it I've seen text split into words or individual characters. When you open a pdf in Illustrator I don't imagine its much different at converting text, remember Illustrator is not designed to edit pdfs and opening one is subject to a bunch of lossy conversions (that Adobe would have you believe may cause the world to end :lol: )
A solution may be to cut and paste the text from Quark to a text editor then from the Text editor to Illy and re-format it, bear in mind the two programs use different text engines so kerning and tracking will probably be slightly off.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 16 Mar 2016, 16:47

PDF is not a page layout format. It's structure is designed to allow the document to print exactly the same no matter what device is being used to print.

To that end the formatting of the PDF will endeavor to meet that structure without regard to how anything was formatted in the page layout application.

A better, but by no means foolproof way (for the same reason as PDF) to get your document into AI with paragaraphs intact might be to export as EPS. That will require one EPS per page of course, but if you're editing a PDF in Illy you're only bringing in one page at a time anyway.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 17 Mar 2016, 05:05

Maybe this works: open the PDF file in Acrobat Pro and save the file as RTF, then reimport it to QXP.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 17 Mar 2016, 09:16

max.peter wrote:Maybe this works: open the PDF file in Acrobat Pro and save the file as RTF, then reimport it to QXP.
Might be better to save out a Word file instead of RTF Max.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 18 Mar 2016, 05:09

You are right Erik, I forgot Acro Pro can save DOCX files as well. DOC files are not supported anymore.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”