Auto page numbering doesn't update properly

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
imsoblonde

Post by imsoblonde » 18 Aug 2010, 03:19

HELP!!! Hi all - this is my pet peeve - so I thought perhaps someone might know why and how to correct this - I created a 48 page document (which is run as a book) single page layout and set up with auto page numbering (via the master page) - if I add in a new page - it creates a new page with the right page number on it - however - I have some pages which I have had to move and rearrange - but the page numbers do not update - so now I have to go through 48 pages and manually correct the page numbering?????

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? This would make me very happy!!! I am working in quark 7.5 - on a MAC - OSX 10.5.8 - if that makes any difference....

migman

Post by migman » 18 Aug 2010, 05:36

When you say "rearrange," do you mean moving page 31 between 14 and 15 so that it becomes the new page 15 (and your problem is that it still has "31" as it's page number)? Or, are you talking about imposing, like moving the back page to the left of the front page, and expecting the page number to stay the same, but it isn't?

britsmith

Post by britsmith » 18 Aug 2010, 10:47

If you assemble a book with automatic page numbering, and then manually alter any of the page numbers, they lose their 'automatic-ness', and they will retain the number you entered manually. So then if you later add or remove pages, the numbers you previously altered manually will not change automatically. I suspect you may have done that.

imsoblonde

Post by imsoblonde » 18 Aug 2010, 11:33

Thanks so much for that speedy repsone - but just to be clear for future - if I make ANY kind of manual change to a page number - are we talking font size - font type - that hasn't been done from the master page this overwrites the auto page numbering? - i don't recall making any changes but I must have at some point - is there a way to fix this? if I removed all page number boxes from my document - and from the master page and set up a new number box with auto numbering - would this work? would it recreate the auto page numbering through the document?

imsoblonde

Post by imsoblonde » 18 Aug 2010, 11:34

Yes - I was talking about the first scenario....

britsmith

Post by britsmith » 18 Aug 2010, 21:56

I think you're right - if you make any change at all to an automatic page number it will mess it up.

If your text is all chained - from start to finish - you could (after first making a backup copy of the file) select all of the text, Cut it, delete all except the first page, then paste your text back into page 1, and it will create and flow into new pages as necessary, with fully automatic page numbers.
If your text is not chained throughout, I think the best thing to do is experiment with master pages (don't forget to make a backup copy of the file). If you drag a master page over a document page in the Document Layout palette it will reinstate the automatic page numbering plus all other master page items, so there's also a danger that it will duplicate the master page items - two sets of master page items exactly on top of each other. So a lot depends on the content of your job as to what will work and what won't.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”