Color depth: XYZ or grayscale images that separates!

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Jeece

Post by Jeece » 30 Sep 2008, 05:03

Quark 7, Mac OS 10.4
Now resolved, but I'd like to hear your opinion/experiences with this.

A good customer sent us a 2 color booklet to print in Quark 7. Some Grayscale EPS files linked in the document actually separates in CMYK when printing. It's a real separation, all color plates aren't exactly the same in tonality, like what you'd get when printing a normal color file. The Quark Usage box shows the Color depth of these files as: XYZ.

But, Photoshop and InDesign both agree the EPS are actually in Grayscale, and both separate the files properly (well, let it black) when printing even though I ask for full separation. Quark 6 also does a great job at printing, but shows the Color depth as "Unknown". These facts mosty point the trouble comes from Quark 7, at least in part.

Just for fun I tried to re-save an EPS in Photoshop without modification (well, creating a layer and deleting it), and now Quark 7 can see it as it really is. I don't know if it's a Photoshop error on our customer's side or a Quark bug (like reading a full color preview?) but it's really weird.

So I called our customer, told her what I found out and she'll try to "convert" her image files and send 'em back to me.

Last minute update: As I was about to post, she called back and found the solution: When saving the EPS files in Photoshop, she unchecked the Postscript Color Management box and now it's all right. She sent me every corrected image files to replace the older ones, and now I'm updating them in Quark, making me wish for a "Yes to all" option for Update confirmation. :p Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok...

ampegg66

Post by ampegg66 » 30 Sep 2008, 05:24

I can't quite remember, if you select all the items in the Usage window and option-click "Update", will it do them all at once?

charlieartist

Post by charlieartist » 30 Sep 2008, 16:02

You also didn't have to wait for your client--the image conversion sounds like it could be automated in Photoshop using Actions. And, unless the images contained vector images, it may be faster to process at the end if they were exported as TIFFs (would also solve the color gamut issue).

Jeece

Post by Jeece » 01 Oct 2008, 03:13

ampegg66: Thank you!!! [:D]

charlie: Yep it would have been easy and quick to solve on our side. But my boss has a "we don't work for free, it's not our problem - send the job back" policy. [8-)] It's a recurrent job with pre-set prices, that's why he wants to process it ASAP.

I'll suggest the TIFF option to the designer for the next job, as I also prefer working with those for grayscale raster images. Dunno why she chooses EPS.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 02 Oct 2008, 03:01

Jeece wrote:I'll suggest the TIFF option to the designer for the next job, as I also prefer working with those for grayscale raster images. Dunno why she chooses EPS.

Careful what you wish for, quark7 has a nasty habit of spitting out greyscale tiffs at about 90% of their photoshop weights, when using As Is.
That checkbox to use Postscript color management when saving from photoshop is always used by mistake, its intended to enable a sort of ICC profile (CIE Lab based color) to make it through to a PDF in a "late binding" color managed workflow. Its there because postscript has no support for an actual ICC profile but PDF does.
Its real world results are that greyscales get split to cmyk or PDFs are rejected on the basis that they contain rgb[;)]

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”