STABILITY PLEASE

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
elpnt11583

STABILITY PLEASE

Post by elpnt11583 » 02 Sep 2008, 03:55

Hi,I'm starting to use QuarkXpress 8 and love all of the features. I've always worked with InDesign and occasionally Quark when it was in version 6.5 but I'm now getting more and more into web and I really like the fact that you can design for print, web and interactive in Quark. However, stability if very important to me and QuarkXpress 8 has caused me some problems in that aspect. IT IS FLAKY! It's crashed on my Many times and not just on one machine (I use it at work too). And to top it all off, just yesterday I had worked on am interactive layout for several hours and Quark crashed on me and CORRUPTED my file. I was veeerrrryyy upset. I then learned that QuarkXpress has a save backup feature but it was too late for me. Lucky I was able to recreate it quickly. The fact is that I think it's a great app but it NEEDS to get more stable. I've heard other QuarkXpress users that have worked with QuarkXpress for many years and they've all had the same problems with earlier versions of Xpress. I do hope you all at Quark take a step back and look at these problems. InDesign is a major competitor right now and no matter how many features your program has, if it's unstable and unreliable, many people will not want to use it.Thanks.

eyoungren

STABILITY PLEASE

Post by eyoungren » 02 Sep 2008, 05:50

I agree with you.
That said. One thing about InDesign. Too dang slow, too dang palatte happy, and the user interface was not designed for users.

elpnt11583

STABILITY PLEASE

Post by elpnt11583 » 02 Sep 2008, 06:19

As I agree with you. InDesign does have too much. Sometimes even I forget were I need to go to do something specific. I just hope Quark becomes much more aggressive with compatibility and VERY IMPORTANT Stability!!!! Even more features is great too.

eyoungren

STABILITY PLEASE

Post by eyoungren » 02 Sep 2008, 07:12

I'll settle for stability and getting the current features working over any new features. Quark didn't fix the AsIs feature (for exporting EPS and printing) until XPress 7. Essentially, they introduced a broken feature in XPress 6.x.
I'd also like to see comparable features. As I understand it, XPress 8 is out and you still can't stroke and fill type? And embedding fonts into EPS files didn't come until XPress 7.x. Even Pagemaker had that!

charlieartist

STABILITY PLEASE

Post by charlieartist » 02 Sep 2008, 14:34

I'd agree that Quark has some deficiencies to overcome.But on stability in general, it has been my experience that Quark is much more stable that ID (both CS2 and 3). I do my fair share of magazine and other large document work, and ID seems to be more flakey there--I can expect a fair amount of crashes in a days work.

KevC

STABILITY PLEASE

Post by KevC » 02 Sep 2008, 21:29

I've been a Quark user for many years with occasional trips into InDesign. I'm only on Quark 6.5.2 and I (mainly) don't have any problems with it. Strangely, I always think it might crash on me, but it (almost) always seems to work. But when I'm on InDesign I never have that panic mode before I open or save something.
And I agree with other comments that ID is pallette heavy; sometimes Quark can seem almost too simplistic and basic, but that may be why its reliable.The lack of transparency in 6.5.2 can be a pain, but I don't think I'd trust moving up to 7 or 8 yet. It comes back to the perception that I won't trust it

I think my Quark is stable because I'm on a relatively old version, and by then all the bugs had been ironed out. Seems that every time theres a new update it introduces new problems and glitches; but if you stay two generations back, you'll be safe.

eyoungren

STABILITY PLEASE

Post by eyoungren » 03 Sep 2008, 04:17

I went direct from XPress 4.x to XPress 6.x, so stability wise I'd have to say in light of these two apps XPress 6.x has been more stable. Usually when it closes on me it's because of a font. XPress 4 would just close because it felt like it.
In regards to XPress 6.x though, I have to say that there are still a number of bugs I deal with daily and because of that during the course of my day I'm good for at least 1 or 2 quit/restarts of XPress. I find that to be in the same league as crashes. If you can't continue to work even though the app is still running, what's the difference as you have to quit anyway to get it working again?
ID has only crashed on me once, but I use it maybe once or twice a week, so I can't really speak to stability here. I will say that what requires only a few keystrokes with XPress is buried in a palatte somewhere in ID (which you have to go through menus to get to pop-up. AND, it doesn't have a key command like XPress. Sure, you can set ID to use XPress key commands, but I have found that a lot of those I use in XPress either aren't covered in ID, or have NO key commands period.
I do like how ID manages PDFs. We print to PDF for pages that I need to print seps on (we print seps from Acrobat) because XPress won't print correct seps (never figured out why). Occaisionally there's a problem with an ad EPS, so, I'll bring the main page into ID and join it with the ad EPS and export a PDF that I can print seps from. Usually this works. So, I do like ID for that.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”