Facing Pages Not Facing the Right Way!

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
QuarkReallySucks

Post by QuarkReallySucks » 26 May 2008, 10:36

I have a binding issue. I am putting together a 500 page book, and the binding will be bottom and top - not side to side - see example here: http://albertaintegrated.com/BindingSample.jpg

Facing Pages in Quark won't let me do this (unless I spend the next 6 weeks with my head on a permanent 90angle.) I could layout the pages in a separate document and then cut and paste them into a facing pages document - but I have had repeated problems with Quark losing text characteristics (superscript etc.) when pasting from one document to another, and I don't want to have to re-proof 500 pages of numeric data looking for Quark Quirks. Any ideas? Xtension? InDesign? Brilliant work-around? I could rotate the monitor view clockwise when working on it... or just tip the monitor over on its side, or glue my chair to the wall..... help?

Scripting_Ace

Post by Scripting_Ace » 26 May 2008, 13:07

Could be a stupid comment but have you talked to your printer. It may very well be that you can work with your files as facing pages but your printer can rearranged them at print time.

Hope this helps!

Ravi

Post by Ravi » 26 May 2008, 23:32

I agree with Scripting_Ace, this is just a work on the imposition before making the plate and your printer will help you for sure

thing

Post by thing » 27 May 2008, 03:23

I've set up dozens of calendars and other items bound that way - I just make a double height page and pop guides in the middle for the bind. Never caused any problems to the printers I dealt with.
Greg

Emma

Post by Emma » 27 May 2008, 03:53

My original reaction was that you had chosen your forum name unwisely... But as people have been helpful anyway, I'll shut up.

Ira

Post by Ira » 27 May 2008, 07:22

Uhhh...you don't really understand imposition, yet you're blaming Quark? This is something you talk to your printer about...how he wants the file.

Unless you have artwork running from page to page, and depending on what your printer says, you might not even NEED facing pages.

I did a 366-page day-calendar like this (small little thing that sits on your desk and you rip the pages out), and the printer told me not to worry about it, that they'll print the fronts with odd number pages and the backs with the even.

I don't know WHAT he did and didn't WANT to know. They know what press(es) they're going to use, the size of their forms, etc.--so what they do on those big sheets has no resemblance to anything us mortal human beings can understand.

Well, some guys here understand it, but I don't.

scottws

Post by scottws » 27 May 2008, 09:31

[strong]thing:[/strong]I've set up dozens of calendars and other items bound that way - I just make a double height page and pop guides in the middle for the bind. Never caused any problems to the printers I dealt with.
Greg

You may not have been told of any problems, but I'd charge extra for that. Commercial printers usually want jobs set up at final trim size in readers' page order. A calendar set up like that would have to be deconstucted to impose. Furthermore, were it set up in printers spreads, it would not allow for creep.

Emma

Post by Emma » 27 May 2008, 09:33

I think that's what Greg's saying - set up as described, it is in readers pairs and at final trim size, surely??

scottws

Post by scottws » 27 May 2008, 09:36

He said "double height" - I read that as having 2 actual pages stacked vertically on one layout page set up twice as tall as final trim size.
I may have misunderstood.

thing

Post by thing » 27 May 2008, 10:49

Nope you didn't misunderstand, Scottws. And I didn't set them up that way just because I felt like it - I asked my printer what they wanted for that specific job and that's what they asked for. I'd never simply make a decision and assume the printer would be cool with it!

In the end I was there when they started ripping the job - all they did was eps each page (which, obviously, was actually 2 pages one above the other) then place them in picture boxes on a pre-laid out imposition sheet. Job done. Took their Mac guy about 2 minutes to lay out the calendar then send it to proof.

Point is, and this is for the OP, ask the printer! Sure you can't do vertical spreads - no DTP package can. But there are other ways to go and the best will be what your printer finds easiest to work with when the time to print arrives!

Good luck,

Greg

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”