Facing Pages Not Facing the Right Way!

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
thing

Post by thing » 27 May 2008, 10:49

Nope you didn't misunderstand, Scottws. And I didn't set them up that way just because I felt like it - I asked my printer what they wanted for that specific job and that's what they asked for. I'd never simply make a decision and assume the printer would be cool with it!

In the end I was there when they started ripping the job - all they did was eps each page (which, obviously, was actually 2 pages one above the other) then place them in picture boxes on a pre-laid out imposition sheet. Job done. Took their Mac guy about 2 minutes to lay out the calendar then send it to proof.

Point is, and this is for the OP, ask the printer! Sure you can't do vertical spreads - no DTP package can. But there are other ways to go and the best will be what your printer finds easiest to work with when the time to print arrives!

Good luck,

Greg

scottws

Post by scottws » 27 May 2008, 10:57

If you did it as the printer asked, you can Do No Wrong in my book. Guess they impose in quark.
I see too many jobs where designers "help" us by doing their own impositions - worst one was a 144 page book done in printers' pairs. It was set up to saddle-stitch but the job was to be perfect-bound. :roll:

migman

Post by migman » 27 May 2008, 12:02

And although nobody would probably want to, you can leave the orientation at portrait long-fold and rotate your text and picture boxes 90 but that would be a pain.

almaink

Post by almaink » 27 May 2008, 12:19

"Point is, and this is for the OP, ask the printer! Sure you can't do vertical spreads - no DTP package can. "

Wrong! It can be done in InDesign using a Plug in.
http://www.dtptools.com/product.asp?id=pcid

But why bother?
As you said most prepress people will need to impose it, and it will become single page eps or PDF anyway.

migman

Post by migman » 27 May 2008, 12:45

http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/1ijLNOG ... _thumb.png

The screenshot doesn't make it look like what the OP was asking for. Have you used it yourself to verify that it can be done?

almaink

Post by almaink » 27 May 2008, 12:51

Read the page. they don't have a screen shot of what this thread is about but yes it does it, and yes I used it, but found I really didn't need it.

http://mt15.quickshareit.com/share/picture14a689.jpg

migman

Post by migman » 27 May 2008, 12:55

Very cool. Thanks for the info.

Luddite

Post by Luddite » 29 May 2008, 12:02

The handy thing about the "facing pages" feature is that it handles the margins/guides that change from left to right throughout the entire document. Without this option, the individual would have to keep track if the page was a left or right page in the book.

That is why the facing pages feature exists.

So if QRS wanted to create a vertical spread in Quark, he would have to manually set up each page as a top or bottom page over a 500 page document (binding margin top here, bottom here, top here) and then, if a page was deleted or inserted, he would have to manually change every subsequent page. An easy task for 24 page calendar - not so easy for 500 pages of data.

I didn't see anywhere (aside from his user name) that he "blamed" Quark for this. He just wanted an option.

chandlerbing

Post by chandlerbing » 29 May 2008, 13:37

I think it was his screen name made people leap to the conclusion that he was blaming Quark.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”