Saving Quark 7 as Quark 6

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
VBrewster

Post by VBrewster » 01 Feb 2008, 14:36

Things being what they are, from time to time I am asked to save a Quark 7 layout as Quark 6. [even service bureaus haven't upgraded!!!!].

Links become scrambled. Upon opening the file in Quark 6, a visit to "Usage" shows that links are lost and then when relinked, they come in at a different percentage than they were in Quark 7 and need to be checked individually.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

migman

Post by migman » 01 Feb 2008, 15:17

The second best thing to do is make sure you are patched up to the latest versions of Quark 7.31 and 6.52.

The best thing to do is if you are going to output with version 6, create the document there instead of backsaving.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 01 Feb 2008, 15:31

[strong]VBrewster:[/strong]even service bureaus haven't upgraded!
You may want to supply PDF instead of exporting to V6?

Or find a service bureau who's deliver real service. :lol:

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 01 Feb 2008, 15:40

[strong]VBrewster:[/strong]even service bureaus haven't upgraded!!!!

Maybe because they don't find it good business to do so. Why aren't we sending PDF files? It is 2008!!!

almaink

Post by almaink » 01 Feb 2008, 15:59

I always move the Quark document into the Links folder itself
if I need to send it out. That way the links never break.

VBrewster

Post by VBrewster » 01 Feb 2008, 17:08

The reason that a PDF is not acceptable for this job is that high-res images are inserted at the service bureau.

The problem is not that the links are broken, but that the files in the "collected" folder have different names than their sources. When relinked, the image sizes are not correct. For instance, when you hit update and are watching the results onscreen, an image that previously filled the window is tiny.

thing

Post by thing » 02 Feb 2008, 09:30

The only time I've seen Quark change file names is when they are longer than 31 characters and it concatenates them. But even then relinking them works fine as, like I said, all that's changed is the file name.

For other things to have changed something else must be at work here.

So, can you open an image that is placed before you collect for output, then open the same image (new name and all) after the collect and compare them in Photoshop. Anything changed?

If they are different then something odd is happening as all Quark does at collect if copy the image from the original location to a new sub-folder in the collect folder. It doesn't do anything to the image itself.

Unless, perhaps, you're using Vista to do something to the image. Can't comment on that but it may be worth looking at. I always disable Vista!

Good luck,

Greg

almaink

Post by almaink » 04 Feb 2008, 08:55

"The reason that a PDF is not acceptable for this job is that high-res images are inserted at the service bureau."
Images can be replaced in PDF's, I suggest you inform your service bureau about this.
You can either use Pit Spot plugin to do it or just place the PDF in Quark, place the new images on top of the old ones, and delete the lores images in Acrobat.

VBrewster

Post by VBrewster » 04 Feb 2008, 14:21

Greg you wrote

[strong]thing:[/strong]So, can you open an image that is placed before you collect for output, then open the same image (new name and all) after the collect and compare them in Photoshop. Anything changed?

If they are different then something odd is happening as all Quark does at collect if copy the image from the original location to a new sub-folder in the collect folder. It doesn't do anything to the image itself.

The image with the truncated name has not changed (same size). When reimported, the same sizing works as the with the original link.

Does this problem have something to do with how Quark builds previews in 7 vs 6? For instance when opening a job made in 6 in 7, there is always a dialogue box and time elapsing while Quark does something about writing previews. Don't remember the wording.

Anyway, the workflow doesn't. As other posters have noted, don't migrate jobs to Quark 7 unless you are sure that everyone else in the flow will be using Quark 7.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”