Quark vs InDesign. Which give you less trouble?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
ekd

Post by ekd » 10 Mar 2005, 10:02

I chose InDesign for the customer service and non-crashing updaters, natural transparency and familiar adobe interface. It's super extensible. Plus Adobe doesn't do any mudslinging towards it's competitors. It enjoys competition, which makes both companies succeed. Mudslinging is immature and totally put me off.

jonesy17

Post by jonesy17 » 10 Mar 2005, 10:28

It's always issue after issue with Quark... and none of them get fixed. With InDesign, I know it's going to work right the first time.

Robert

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 10 Mar 2005, 10:50

I am trusting that those who vote are true, knowledgeable users of both apps.

It is interesting that there are already more votes in favor of a competitor's product on Quark's web site. One would have suspected the biased Quark loyalists that have no real experience with InDesign would attempt to skew the results.

:lol:

migman

Post by migman » 10 Mar 2005, 11:12

[quote:0b7f4f91ba]It is interesting that there are already more votes in favor of a competitor's product on Quark's web site.
You are right. In the hour that this poll has been up, InDesign has gotten 4 votes, while Quark has gotten 0. Not exactly staggering results, though. I won't assume what the original poster intended with this poll, but it smells like trolling to me. If I'm wrong, I appologize to ekd.

Marc Dahmen

Post by Marc Dahmen » 10 Mar 2005, 11:32

Although I rarely use InDesign (not by choice), I have no problems at all with QuarkXPress. I've been using it for 10 years, which I think gives me a bit of an edge on troubleshooting common issues. But honestly, I use Quark 6.5 trouble-free. It doesn't have all the features that I want, but it also doesn't give me any grief.

Paul A

Post by Paul A » 10 Mar 2005, 12:11

I use Quark mostly (10 years +) and InDesign increasingly (1 year +). Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but apart from the irritating screen redraw issue I have no problems with Quark 6.5. Got to agree though that InDesign is streets ahead with its features and abilities but still find Quark better/quicker for putting together 'simple' work, which for me is a large part of what I do. However, whenever I need to be more creative InDesign wins.

dwadson

Post by dwadson » 10 Mar 2005, 12:15

It never ceases to amaze me how InDesign-lovers spend so much time in the Quark forums raving about it and bashing Quark. If you can't stand Quark so much, why are you here?

People come to forums generally because they have a problem with something and want to find a solution or complain. They typically don't come to the forum to post "everything is fine...working great for me!" message.

Despite whatever opinions or poll results you see, there are going to be lots of Quark users who are perfectly happy with the product. And I'm sure if you looked, you'd find lots of people who have tried InDesign and don't like it. No piece of software, including InDesign or Quark is going to be 100% perfect, never crash, and be the greatest thing since sliced bread. If Quark is missing some features, or has a bug that you can't work around, is too expensive, or you just hate the company then by all means, switch to InDesign. But be prepared to spend the time learning a new program and recreate projects that were previously done in Quark.

If you're going to base your purchasing decision on a poll that you post in a forum then you're really not doing your business any favours...

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 10 Mar 2005, 13:40

[strong]dwadson:[/strong]Despite whatever opinions or poll results you see, there are going to be lots of Quark users who are perfectly happy with the product.

So why hasn't anyone voted for Quark yet? (including you)

mlu

Post by mlu » 10 Mar 2005, 14:07

I have a lot more experience with Quark, in fact I'd go as far as to say I'm pretty fluent with it. If it would stop randomly crashing on me and having so many technical errors, I would be happy with it!

I came to this site hoping to find some answers to my problem. But haven't yet.. Due to how much these errors set me back in my work, I would choose a stable program over a faulty one! i have used InDesign in the past and like it as well, and didn't have a single crash. I just wish those in charge of purchasing our company's design programs would understand where I am coming from, and make the change from Quark to InDesign.

Sorry.

InDesigner

Post by InDesigner » 10 Mar 2005, 14:46

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]dwadson:[/strong]It never ceases to amaze me how InDesign-lovers spend so much time in the Quark forums raving about it and bashing Quark. If you can't stand Quark so much, why are you here?

I suppose you could call me one of those "InDesign-lovers", but I think it's unfair to say all of "us[/img]
While the current results of this poll indicate a decided lean, it's early in the day and I have no doubt results will likely change. My vote is based on my customers' experiences, making it as honest as mine could be. I would also hasten to add InDesign populates a VERY small portion of the layout and design market; therefore, this poll serves as a poor guideline, at best. If InDesign had an equivalent user base, the balance could be quite different.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”