Quark vs InDesign. Which give you less trouble?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
susiecc

Post by susiecc » 18 Mar 2005, 17:50

We are a QuarkXPress shop and will remain one. We do use indesign, but in terms of reliability, it can't touch QuarkXPress. We produce thousands of pages per week, both color and b/w, with almost no problems, except for redraw issues which are OS X problems and a few font issue, also OS X problems. We have many annoying problems with Indesign PDF files which do not color separate properly, with fonts, which do not print properly, and of course, with redraw. Quark's problem has always been company management, mostly after Tim Gill sold his interest in the company. But, they are currently trying to do something about that. I agree that technical support through Quark has been atrocious; i know more about the product than they do. But, Adobe is no better. Calling Adobe about the font problem in Indesign was a nightmare. I finally figured out how to get the document to process, but not with their help. Adobe didn't even bother to respond to some other issues I emailed them about. A follow-up phone call with a guarantee of an answer, was never returned. At least the online Quark technical people respond, even though their answers are usually not helpful.
I have criticisms of Adobe and Quark, but if I have to pick a reliable, product to produce the volumes of work per week that my company produces, it is going to be QuarkXPress.

fab1

Post by fab1 » 31 Mar 2005, 09:13

I have been a Quark user for almost 15 years. Since I went 100% freelance I left Quark behind and use InDesign exclusively. I only use Quark now if a client insists on it.

I've never had horrendous problems with Quark, but a fair amount of little annoyances that just add up over time. Screen redraw problems, PDF problems, etc ... In the end I got them all sorted out but it is the fact that I had to sort them out to begin with that makes it a less than desirable app to work with. I am much more productive with ID because I don't have to deal with these things.

losmeme

Post by losmeme » 31 Mar 2005, 14:16

I am a dual layout program user. I have used Quark now for 5 years, and InDesign for a little over a year now. My company is in the middle of converting all of it's Quark files over to InDesign. I have to come to the Quark forums to try and find out what is wrong with the program and how to fix it in order to complete work.

I have not had to visit Adobe's forums for troubleshooting ONCE in the year I have been using InDesign. It astounds me that Quark has remained so broken for such a long time now. Being a New Yorker (and a natural cynic) I am beginning to believe that Tim Gill sold Quark to Adobe secretly, and Adobe is now in the process of running Quark into the ground. Why else would Quark allow all this disscent to remain on the website along with such positive customer testimonials to InDesign?? It is suicide for a company to allow this.

Good riddence to bad rubbish I say. Quark has had a very arrogant air about their product for some time now, believing they are the only game in town. Trying to continue in Quark and maintain a profitable business are two mutually exclusive priorities.

I have been a typesetter since the early 80s, having run the gammut from Ventura Publisher(!!) to PageMaker to Quark and then back to Adobe and InDesign. InDesign is so vastly superior to even the casual user capable of setting emotion aside, that it's adoption as the standard is not a matter of if, but when. (The answer? Soon, very very soon.)

InDesign, the intelligent choice.

John Slate

Post by John Slate » 31 Mar 2005, 22:17

I do not choose to enter the never ending QXP vs ID debate.

I would however like to question the logic of the final choice in the survey.

Which program gives you less grief?

If you choose QXP then you prefer that program.

If you choose ID then you prefer that program.

If you choose neither then you value both programs equally

But what the he** does "both" mean? How can you say that both programs give you less grief... or if you can how is that different than the "neither" answer?

Pardon me if this has been discussed. I did not read the entire thread

mike.helbert

Post by mike.helbert » 01 Apr 2005, 06:46

Hi all!
I work for a printing co. that get all sorts of files from just about anywhere. Even in our prepress dept. we are split about this. Personally, I like Quark. I grew up with it and really have no issues with it. It's simple for a simple kinda guy.
Granted, we do no design work of our own, but we do have to sift thru what real designers create...as well as not so real designers.
I have had some problems with InDesign crashing while saving EPS files for our RIP.
We have had issues with Transparency and Ripping.
Making edits to customer InDesign files can be problematic.
Overall, I prefer the simplicity and reliability of Quark. Unlike at least one other person who posted here, I have spent way too much time at Adobe looking for answers to problems.
Thanx for your tolerance,
Mike

longtimedesigner

Post by longtimedesigner » 01 Apr 2005, 11:15

I switched to InDesign quite some time ago. I wouldn't touch Quark with a ten foot pole.

My vendors have accepted my InDesign files. To my knowledge, they haven't had any problems with my files either. I build good, clean files.

I must say that, InDesign gives me fewer problems.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 23 Mar 2007, 10:05

Of all the posts that remain on this tiny forum, why did Quark allow this promotion for InDesign remain?

:lol:

almaink

Post by almaink » 23 Mar 2007, 12:15

They cut all the important stuff and let fluff like this post stay. Just goes ta show ya Quack has no clue. As for what app gives me less grief I'd have to say Indesign. Screen redraws and fonts are the biggest issues with Quark for me.

shaun

Post by shaun » 25 Mar 2007, 09:56

All seems daft to me. I can see the point of posting comments on Quark where you want something fixed, improved or added, but why all the noise about InDesign?

If you like InDesign, fine. I don't.

I like Quark, having used version 3+ and then 4.1 for years and now version 7 because I now use OSX more often than OS 8.6 on my older Mac. And having also tried InDesign, I prefer Quark.

Obviously if InDesign has some features you would like to see in your Quark, then by all means say so and list them; but if your post is intended just to advertise InDesign and bash Quark then it doesn't really belong in a Quark forum. More to the point, if you use InDesign and not Quark, why are you here and posting here?

Reminds me of the old debates between the Freehand and the Illustrator supporters. In the end you use what you like, Mac or Windows, or Linux, Quark or InDesign, Appleworks or Word - or whatever.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 26 Mar 2007, 11:49

[strong]shaun:[/strong]All seems daft to me. I can see the point of posting comments on Quark where you want something fixed, improved or added, but why all the noise about InDesign? ... More to the point, if you use InDesign and not Quark, why are you here and posting here?

Actually, posting comments on this forum where you want something fixed is pretty daft. Quark does not read these forums. This is why they have been so screwed up over the past couple of weeks.

It seems that the poll was started to see what was normal for a designer working in both InDesign and QuarkXPress. The consensus of users of both apps on this Quark forum seem to indicate that InDesign causes less grief. If someone wants to indicate that Quark causes less grief, they are entitled to a vote.

It is sadly telling when a majority of Quark users recognize that another app causes less trouble for them.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”