Need honest opinions

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
ica1972

Need honest opinions

Post by ica1972 » 16 Nov 2005, 13:01

We are a small department, totally Mac run and supported. We produce a large (just under 1000) page catalog every year, along with smaller pieces running anywhere from 48 pages on up. All are paginated in two-page spreads and have plenty of color and image coverage. We also use the most recent versions of Photoshop and Illustrator, and an older version of Freehand.

We are currently using G4s and G5s with maxed out memory on all. We are running Quark 6.5 and are using no type of font management programs (nor do we look to have any in the future).

The decision to upgrade to Quark 7 needs to made soon, and the desire to go to InDesign grows stronger with each passing day.

We are having the same problems everyone seems to be having with 6.5- spontanious crashes, erronious messages (our favorite is when you leave your workstation and come back after leaving it idle and Quark crashes).

Looking for suggestions on upgrading or switching, along with some pros and cons to 7. Anyone who has had to use tech support? Have you found it to have improved any with the new version?

Thanks for your time!

eyoungren

Need honest opinions

Post by eyoungren » 16 Nov 2005, 14:37

I don't think anyone here can really advise you on XPress 7 except in very general terms that would apply to a lot of other upgrades. The reason is that XPress 7 has not been released yet and I don't even think it is in Beta at the moment. The only ones who could directly help you would be the Quark employees actually testing the app and their advice would probably change given the changes that will inevitably happen to XPress 7 as it is developed.

And since Quark employees only skim the forums and rarely respond, I don't know what help you would get from them, especially since everything is under wraps right now.

Jim Oblak

Need honest opinions

Post by Jim Oblak » 16 Nov 2005, 14:52

If you have an active library in QuarkXPress 5 and 6 formats, you are pretty well bound to using Quark in the future. InDesign only opens QuarkXPress 4 or 3 documents natively. You can also try a new quasi-useful converter from markzware.com to open QuarkXPress 5 and 6 documents into InDesign.

You can either wrestle with a lot of conversion to InDesign issues, or you can wrestle with the current bugs of Quark. Which is worse?

Trial versions of both applications have always been available. Judge for yourself which is the best/easiest route to go.

Yes - tech support has improved greatly (now free) but ideally, you should not need it. It is of small consolation that it is now offered for free. I have never needed tech support with a competitor's design product.

jonesy17

Need honest opinions

Post by jonesy17 » 17 Nov 2005, 07:37

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]Jim Oblak:[/strong]Yes - tech support has improved greatly (now free) but ideally, you should not need it. It is of small consolation that it is now offered for free.

I usuallly don't like to repeat what I've heard third-hand but this just seems to fit here. One of the graphic designers we deal with weekly recently upgraded from OS 9/ Quark 4 to OS X/Quark 6.5 and ran into problems. He called Quark, in India, for the free tech support and got some guy named "Bob". After a very lengthy call and much frustration, our client finally asked "Bob[/img]
This is a little off-topic but I thought it funny enough to share.

Robert

Macfool

Need honest opinions

Post by Macfool » 17 Nov 2005, 12:03

It depends on if you ever go back and revise these catalogues. As Jim Oblak mentions, InDesign can only open Quark 4 files.

If you dont revise old files, you can just go to InDesign. As for conversion probs, Read the posts on this forum. Then go to the Adobe forum. Find ONE post saying "I hate f***ing InDesign, I'm getting Quark 6.5 or Ouark 7".

'Nuff said.

Quark is so full of holes it's unreal. :evil:

synterx

Need honest opinions

Post by synterx » 17 Nov 2005, 12:13

I was in the same boat, and decided to go ahead and download the IDCS2 trial for 30 days. Even without a manual or anything, I was impressed enough to buy the Creative Suites CS2 Upgrade from Photoshop so I have it, and intend to start using it soon. I just have so little faith in Quark 7 being the upgrade everyone has wanted for 5 years. I honestly have moments of sadness, as if I'm turning my back on an old friend. It's kind of weird. But, I'm going on my 15th year as a graphics professional, and it's time to be open minded and use the tools that are best suited to the job...not just ones that I'm familiar with.

I'd download the demo of ID, and try building a new catalog page with it to see if you will like it. I will try that Markzware convertor myself, to see if it's any good.

I am working on a 180 page black/white pricelist in Quark 6.5. It's text only. Basic, basic stuff. Every 5-15 minutes, I get the beachball for a second, then BAM. Quark's gone. So, I've gotten in the habit of saving after almost everything I do, and Save As.. the whole file with a new name every day just in case. That's no way to work efficiently.

I say go for it.

longtimedesigner

Need honest opinions

Post by longtimedesigner » 17 Nov 2005, 13:32

Many companies which produce catalogs have switched.

Recently, Staples switched to InDesign. "Zone" catalogs have been switched for awhile now.

Check out Adobe's site. Discover some of the companies which have switched. Ask the same question on the Adobe forums. You'll find people with first-hand experience who can advise you.

InDesign is faster in a production environment. It's stable. The type engine is amazing.

Good luck.

willmark

Need honest opinions

Post by willmark » 17 Nov 2005, 16:19

A lot of people are saying "wait until you see Quark 7, then decide which to use. As if it is unfair to compare QuarkXPress 6.5 to InDesign CS2. Well yes it is ID blows 6.5 out of the water. Mind you these same people said that 6.5 was better then CS when it came out.

My advice: Dont listen to the experts out there. Try both for yourself. Get together a group at work that is as non-committable as possible (maybe a pipe-dream since we are talking about designers after all) Set forth your criteria before hand and measure both against said criteria. Make your criteria as neutral as possible as it is easy to set up one or the other to fail based on the criteria.

Next put both through it paces and based on your set up one or the other should become readily apparent as to which to choose.

We did more or less they same an we moved to ID 2.0 in January 2002, and havent looked back. We have upgraded two of our existing Quark liscenses for 5.0 and 6.5 respectively for the old job to convert if need be but have been singularly unimpressed by 6.5.

Lastly watch out for the zealots in your group who will try to sabotage your move to IDCS2 if you go that route. Plus make sure that management is ready to listen with both ears

marcusstringer

Need honest opinions

Post by marcusstringer » 17 Nov 2005, 17:11

Quark kept crashing on my machines exactly like ica1972

[quote:e72f8903c5]We are having the same problems everyone seems to be having with 6.5- spontanious crashes, erronious messages (our favorite is when you leave your workstation and come back after leaving it idle and Quark crashes).

Once the Virex virus software was turned off, the crashes stopped. It now runs smooth without a crash for a month and a half, whereas before it crash once a day.

As for InDesigns type engine as longtimedesigner stated:
The type engine is amazing.

In my opinion Quark still handles type better, and I think, will for a long time to come.

I can look at a book and pretty much tell which program created it. It just stands out...

The way InDesign handles, or lack out handling kerning pairs of some well known fonts is disgusting.

RiotMac

Need honest opinions

Post by RiotMac » 17 Nov 2005, 18:46

switch to indesign. That is what my company is doing in January. It cannot come soon enough.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”