MUST SEE: Ummm, Quark Logo?!

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
brotherrabbit

Post by brotherrabbit » 12 Sep 2005, 13:34

Umm, I'm a little confused why Quark ripped off the logo for this Scotish Arts Council.

http://www.scottisharts.org.uk/default.aspx

Anyone wanna discuss, or perhaps explain why an apparent rip off has been glazed over?

Not cool Quark!

Or vice versa :)
:roll:

seetomtype

Post by seetomtype » 12 Sep 2005, 13:52

At least they changed the color :roll:

I guess every image possible has finally been created :lol:

brotherrabbit

Post by brotherrabbit » 12 Sep 2005, 13:54

Pfft, please. a color change? Quark should be ashamed of themselves. I just emailed them as well, and this is what I got back.

Dear *******,

Thank you for writing to us concerning our new logo. We appreciate your
concern that it is similar to that of the Scottish Arts Council's logo.

After doing trademark searches domestically and internationally, we are
surprised that our logos look alike in some ways. The similarities
were unintentional.

Thank you for contacting us.

Kind regards,

Jennifer

jchurchill@QUARK.com

I'm sorry but if that isn't the biggest bullshit statement, I don't know what is.

Get creative Quark. Christ. This is a apparent rip off and what now? They're going to use it to brand the hell out of their newest version.

Terrible.

synterx

Post by synterx » 12 Sep 2005, 14:39

chill out already. I highly doubt anyone ripped it off. It is about the simplest shape and form there is, so how hard is it to believe someone didn't think of that on their own, without ever seeing the Scottish Arts Council version? The inside circle is a tad larger on the quark version, so it obviously was not just stolen as is. Pure coincidence, happens all the time.

seetomtype

Post by seetomtype » 12 Sep 2005, 19:26

[strong]synterx:[/strong]chill out already. I highly doubt anyone ripped it off. It is about the simplest shape and form there is, so how hard is it to believe someone didn't think of that on their own, without ever seeing the Scottish Arts Council version? The inside circle is a tad larger on the quark version, so it obviously was not just stolen as is. Pure coincidence, happens all the time.

That is a charitable statement indeed. Not knowing the scope
of the Scottish Arts Council is my short comming. Being a
graphic giant like Quark dosen't excuse their oversight in my
eyes. It wasn't stolen as is. My guess is that it's about 79.9%
different.

laurim

Post by laurim » 12 Sep 2005, 22:22

I'm sure the Scottish Arts Council has never had so many new visitors! Hope their server is handling the huge traffic burst :lol:

Quark, please copy MY logo :wink:

synterx

Post by synterx » 13 Sep 2005, 23:10

is Seetomtype seriously saying that when a company designs a logo, they will be able to search every single logo in the entire world, in all countries, nations, organizations, small and large to make sure there is, and has never been one like it? Man, I think that's next to impossible. When a large company re-does their corporate logo, they pay lawyers to run a standard search, and if that turns up nothing, then they go with it. It's expensive and time consuming, and it still can not cover everything...if the scottish arts council, for example, did not register THEIR logo internationally, then it would not show up on a search. They are a small organization, locally based most likely, and they just create a logo and throw it on everything. I don't care where Quark get's their logo, I have to assume they paid someone to create it, and it's purely a coincidence that someone else in another country has the same basic logo...end of story I think.

Bergo

Post by Bergo » 14 Sep 2005, 04:53

Maybe Quark could offer their old logo to the Scottish Arts Council now they have no use for it. After all recycling is the in thing at the moment

Scripting_Ace

Post by Scripting_Ace » 14 Sep 2005, 08:08

How can they be the same?

Quark's logo is an uppercase "Q" while the Scottish Arts Council's is a lowercase 'a"... :wink:

On a side note, and I must stress that I do not know a single thing about this stuff, could that fact, "Q" vs "a" be a factor in not "finding" a similar logo in the trademarks database?

I find it reasonnable to think that this such would first be done using keywords, then, visually compare the search results. If I was the one doing the search, it would never occur to me that an "a' and a "Q" could look the same...

stump

Post by stump » 14 Sep 2005, 09:53

The head of the Scottish Arts Council called Quark to get some answers. Last I heard he was on hold for 45 minutes before being disconnected.

:!:

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”