App Studio Factory not creating .ipa files when 'exporting t

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
rayguz

Post by rayguz » 19 Oct 2011, 05:41

I have designed my app magazine in Quark and created the .ZAVE files.I then went through the steps to create my 'development, distribution and Provisioning certificates in the iOS Provisioning Portal and set-up my devices etc.I also went into the 'Quark App Studio Publishing Portal' website and took the steps to manage my Titles and Collections and have the App and Magazine ready for publishing. The .ZAVE file has also been associated with the Title and uploaded to a remote server.I then save my new certificate from the Quark App Studio Publishing Portal' and drag this from my desktop to the App Studio Factory program on my Mac. This all works fine and when I click 'Export to Device' it gives me the option to create a Folder name and fills out all the relevant 'Configuration, Profile and Certificate' fields (which I cannot change anyway). The program then shows the progress bar to say it is saving a file and the new folder appears on my Desktop.Unfortunately this folder is EMPTY and it contains no .ipa file that I can drop into iTunes to test my App on the iPad.I have tried this several times and even gone through the entire process again for creating certificates, but had the same result. I called Quark and they suggested I delete the Quark program and all the relevant files and re-install - which I did but still have the exact same problem. There was only one occasion where I had an error saying that the 'Provisioning Certificate' did not match the one on my computer, but after restarting the computer and opening the App file again it did not show the message and I ended up with another EMPTY FOLDER!Can anyone suggest an answer? It is very frustrating as there is no real clue to why this is happening and I have a client waiting to see a test version of their App on an iPad before it is distributed in iTunes.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Oct 2011, 21:55

Hi rayguz,
can you first try exporting to the iOS Simulator please? Does that work?
That helps to find out where the culrpit might be.
Also, what version of OS X are you using, what version of Xcode have you installed?
Thanks
Matthias

rayguz

Post by rayguz » 19 Oct 2011, 22:05

Hi Matthias,I was thinking about this after I posted the question and I realised that although my App shows fine in the iOS Simulator my Issue does not appear at all.As for the version of OS X I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and the Xcode version is 3.2.6.Many thanks,Ray

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Oct 2011, 22:12

Hi Ray,
I can't predict 100% for sure but that's probably it. My Xcode is 4.1, 4.2 is current.
Can you install a higehr version please? You can find it for Snow Leopard at developer.apple.com.
Thanks
Matthias

rayguz

Post by rayguz » 20 Oct 2011, 00:01

Hi Matthias,I have installed the new Xcode but when I export to device or to the iOS Simulator I still can't see any issues.Should I go through and create new certificate from the Apple Developer Portal and/or create new issues in the Quark App Studio Portal? I'm just concerned that I will have different certificates and issues on my computer etc and want to be sure I am linking the correct certificates to the correct device and issue that I have created in the App Studio. Is there any easy way of doing this i.e revoking certificates in the Apple Developer Portal and creating new ones etc?Many thanks,Ray

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Oct 2011, 00:03

Hi Ray,
so you do see the App in the Simulaor but not the issue? Then you need to log into your Quark Issue Previewer with your App Studio Publishing Portal Password (in the test tab).
And you do get an .ipa on your Mac now?
Thanks
Matthias

rayguz

Post by rayguz » 20 Oct 2011, 00:17

Hi Matthias,Do I find this on my iPad and then click on the App Issue Previewer icon? If so I clicked the 'Tester' button in the Issue Previewer along the bottom but can only log in using my Quark App Studio password etc. Is the Test Lab somewhere else?I also appreciate the quick responses and will try to go through all your suggestions as they come up in the Forum.Many thanks,Ray

Andre Abou Chami Campana

Post by Andre Abou Chami Campana » 20 Oct 2011, 01:30

Hi Ray, I'm a customer and I've been through this error before. There are some things you need to verify: have you registered your device in Quark's Portal as a testing device? Also have you registered your device on Apple's Developer website? After that, have you generated and installed the Provisioning Profiles related to your App ID and to your device? Most of the time App Studio Factory creates an empty folder when exporting to the device when it can't find the provisioning profiles. Remember: if you have App Studio Factory running, you'll have to close it and re-open it after installing the profiles. Another thing: there is a bug with test applications and they only show your magazine if you have the App Template License and the Publication Licences for your issues.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Oct 2011, 02:09

Hi Ray,
the reason why I ask to first get your app run on the iOS Simulator is that this way we can find out where the culrpit is, in the Portal or in the App creation process (like Provisoning Profiles).
So to get your app run on the iOS Simulator and showing your issues, you log into the Quark Issue Previewer on your iOS Simulator using your App Studio password, yes. Then you get a dialog to auhorize this device for testing.
Have you done that? Are your issues showing? You don't need any license for that.
Once that works, the next step is to get yoru app to be built for a device. For that you should have installed an "adhoc" provisioning profile. If it shows in the App Studio Factory export dialog, then it should be installed fine.
When you now export, is an .ipa created?If yes, use iTunes to sync that to your iPad. Now you need to do the same as on the Simulator, authorize your iPad for testing by logging into the test tab of the Quark Issue Previewer on your iPad (using your App Studio password). Again, you don't need any license for that.
If that doesn't work, can you please let me know what app template you are using and - if you are using a kiosk - what issue types (in-app purchase? free? subscription based?).
Thanks
Matthias

rayguz

Post by rayguz » 20 Oct 2011, 04:44

Hi Matthias,I can obviously access the Quark Previewer on my iPad but how to I install the App onto my iOS Simulator?Many thanks,Ray

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”