App Studio Factory not creating .ipa files when 'exporting t

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 25 Oct 2011, 10:06

Hi surreygirl,
there's no need to pay to test, so if you just want to pay to get it to work, please don't, as it won't help.
So let's go step by step:
- You are saying your issues display fine in the Issue Previewer App.
- You can also successfully export your app to the iOS Simulator
- Just the issues are not showing in the app on your simulator
Did I capture this right?
Then probably you didn't sign into the Quark Issue Previewer ("Tester" tab) to authorize the test device) to show test issues.
Here's how:
Launch Quark Issue Previewer on the Simulator, click on Test and sign in using your App Studio Publishing Portal log in. You'll be ask to authorize this device, please do.
Then go to App Studio Factory and build you App and export to Simulator.
Does your issue now show?
Thanks
Matthias

surreygirl

Post by surreygirl » 25 Oct 2011, 10:48

Hi Matthias,Thanks for your reply. Sorry - a bit overtired with being up till 2am last night fighting with this problem. Food and a beer have helped me clear my head.Yes, you captured this info correctly. I had already tried logging on in the Issue Previewer on my iPad as per your previous advice: "My Account" and choosing "Use this device for test". But I don't understand how this would help when I am trying to test the app in the iOS Simulator. My iPad is not attached to my Mac as I synchronise it with a different computer and hoped I could get away with just testing the app and magazine using the "Export to Simulator" rather than "Export to Device" in the App Studio Factory. I had tried plugging the iPad in to the mac just to communicate with it but told it not to synchronise. Do you think this is where the problem lies?Thanks,Dawn

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 25 Oct 2011, 10:58

Hi surreygirl,
you need to install the Quark Issue Previewer onto your iOS Simulator and log in there.
Here's how: p/27035/107765.aspx#107765
Thanks
Matthias

surreygirl

Post by surreygirl » 25 Oct 2011, 11:22

Hi Matthias,I had read that and already tried it, but have looked at it again and made sure I dragged the unzipped folder to the right version number, which I had. I am using iOSv5.0 (I have the latest Xcode 4.2 installed). I deleted another kiosk template which I had been playing around with but chose not to use in case it was clouding the issue. So now in Applications I have the two folders com.aquafadas.afkiosk (which is the correct one I am using) and Issue Previewer for iOS Simulator. I tried reloading App Studio Factory, calling up my kiosk and exporting to simulator, closing it and exporting a couple of times. Still no issue showing in my app, but now the App Studio Issue Previewer is showing as an app on the simulator!

surreygirl

Post by surreygirl » 25 Oct 2011, 11:26

Hang on - I'm being really thick. I see what you are saying - I use the iOS Simulator ipad as the ipad to log on to. Hey, it worked!!! Fab!!Many thanks xxx

surreygirl

Post by surreygirl » 25 Oct 2011, 12:12

Hi, me again. I had got excited as I could see the front cover of my magazine in my app in the iOS Simulator and assumed the whole magazine had imported itself. But when I try to read the 60 page magazine within the app I can't. There is an error message "Error. Download failed. Check your connection and try again". So the front page of the magazine isn't coming from the magazine itself but the thumbnail that I loaded in the Issue preview in the Quark App Studio Publishing Portal (I tested this theory by changing the thumbnail for another image). So I am still not picking up the magazine from within my app in iOS Simulator. I wondered if it might be because the simulator isn't a registered device in the apple developer site. It can't be added anyway as the identifier is less than 40 characters long.And the .ipa folder is still empty if I try "export to device".Any further suggestions would be gratefully received!Many thanks

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 26 Oct 2011, 07:12

Hi surreygirl,
sorry for the late respond, I was holding a semianr today.
Yes, the preview comes from the Publishing Portal.
No, you don't need to register your iOS Simulator with Apple, only real (physical) iPads.
surreygirl wrote:but now the App Studio Issue Previewer is showing as an app on the simulator!

So have you signed into the "Tester" tab? And, did you try the URL of your .zave whether it works from a browser?
Thanks
Matthias

surreygirl

Post by surreygirl » 27 Oct 2011, 09:32

Hi Matthias,I appreciate the help you have been giviing me for the last couple of days via email. While you were in your seminar I thought I would amuse (!) myself by doing the same as rayguz - I revoked my certificates and started all over again. And you know what, it works! We either all miss something the first time round or there really is some method to this madness.Thanks again for all your help - you are a star. I hope Quark are paying you enough!Dawn

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 27 Oct 2011, 11:00

Hi surreygirl,
glad you were able to solve it yourself and thanks for your nice words.
Regards
Matthias

surreygirl

Post by surreygirl » 08 Nov 2011, 23:14

Just thought I would report that the MacBookPro that I was working on was for some reason blocking the final app from being uploaded to Apple. Using a newer one I was able to load the app with no problems. Everything has been resolved now - many thanks.

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”