Embedding from Youtube

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
Thom_Print

Embedding from Youtube

Post by Thom_Print » 18 Mar 2012, 15:19

Hi
I would like to embed some video onto my app - but even when I use the iframe embed code (), when I click on the video in the iOS simulator I get a video error. Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks
Tom

alexmont

Embedding from Youtube

Post by alexmont » 23 Mar 2012, 01:58

You need to take the object embed code for the video! For it go to youtube video-right click on it-copy embeb code. You will get the desired code!

Thom_Print

Embedding from Youtube

Post by Thom_Print » 23 Mar 2012, 05:14

Hey Alex,
This is the page of the video I want to use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWknY7vBlNY
If I press right-click and select copy embed HTML I get this:

But I believe that I am supposed to use the "iframe" code? When I press the embed button underneath the video, I then get:

Now, I've tried to use both of these, but when I export the AVE and open the file in Quark Previewer I find that neither of the videos will play - they both give an error message: "Video Error: This video is not avaliable".
Any further Suggestions? Thanks.
Tom

Thom_Print

Embedding from Youtube

Post by Thom_Print » 27 Mar 2012, 07:28

Hello,
Still having trouble with this - I have managed to source a video from the internet and download it to put it in the app as a file rather than a URL but really need to know how to do this for the future - if you know, please help me so I can do this.
Regards,
Tom

thatkeith

Embedding from Youtube

Post by thatkeith » 28 Mar 2012, 11:38

Here's one way to use video content streamed from a hosting service such as YouTube or Vimeo:
First copy the bare, simple URL from the full embed code. In your case this would be http://www.youtube.com/v/NWknY7vBlNY
Next, draw a picture box and...
[ulist][*]Assign the Button element type to the box[*]Apply the Show Popup tap action[*]Choose any type - Classic, Centered or Fullscreen[*]Pick the HTML Page option[*]Paste the URL into the URL field and play with the options. (Don't forget the width and height settings.)[/ulist]This should do the trick.

glacierphotos

Embedding from Youtube

Post by glacierphotos » 15 Apr 2012, 12:26

I tried this, but I get a blank screen...

thatkeith

Embedding from Youtube

Post by thatkeith » 15 Apr 2012, 12:57

Which settings did you pick? I suggest using the Centered popup type rather than fullscreen, and start by using the dimensions that the movie was set to be in the YouTube embed code.

Thom_Print

Embedding from Youtube

Post by Thom_Print » 18 Apr 2012, 11:19

Hey, thanks for your help with this - I was able to put the pop up windows in and it worked perfectly. I would love to be able to embed the videos directly on to the app, but I guess this isn't possible at this stage. Thanks again for your help.
Tom

thatkeith

Embedding from Youtube

Post by thatkeith » 18 Apr 2012, 12:39

Actually, it's quite a simple process to get streamed YouTube or Vimeo videos working within a page layout alongside text and picture boxes, not just in pop-up windows or overlays. If you follow the same slightly unexpected logic - that these are 'HTML content' things being requested, not actual simple video files - it should become clear.
Remember that you had to use the HTML option when defining the pop-up item's content? Do the same thing with a box on the page; apply the HTML Page behaviour to it, not the Movie behaviour, then paste in the URL you extract from the YouTube or Vimeo embed/share code. I just did it and it works perfectly. :-)

Thom_Print

Embedding from Youtube

Post by Thom_Print » 19 Apr 2012, 06:26

Wow, ok - I'd really like to know how to do this. I tried it myself and failed, so let me tell you what I did and maybe you can tell me where I am going wrong?
Box defined as picture box.
App studio, defne box as button.
Select "show pop-up"
Select HTML page
Enter "" into URL line.
When I do this, the ipad screen acts like something is happening (a grey layer appears over it) but no video shows.
Thanks,
Tom

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”