Embedding from Youtube

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
Thom_Print

Embedding from Youtube

Post by Thom_Print » 19 Apr 2012, 06:26

Wow, ok - I'd really like to know how to do this. I tried it myself and failed, so let me tell you what I did and maybe you can tell me where I am going wrong?
Box defined as picture box.
App studio, defne box as button.
Select "show pop-up"
Select HTML page
Enter "" into URL line.
When I do this, the ipad screen acts like something is happening (a grey layer appears over it) but no video shows.
Thanks,
Tom

thatkeith

Embedding from Youtube

Post by thatkeith » 19 Apr 2012, 07:07

Hi Tom - you are so almost there! The only thing to change is what gets put into the URL field. That needs to be the plain, simple URL that you have inside the embed code. So instead of the complete iframe structure that you got from YouTube's embed feature you paste this:http://www.youtube.com/embed/k1EAKDQ1mMIThat's exactly what you have but with everything but the URL itself removed. Yes, even the quote marks.
Following your steps above (and with this modification) you will get a button that opens a pop-up element with the video showing inside that. Remember to give the pop-up element an appropriate width and height. The video will scale to fit, but without distortion - so you may see black bars on the top and bottom or on the sides if the proportions don't match.
FINALLY, if you would like to show your YouTube video right there in the page layout (Harry Potter newspaper-style), don't use the Button item. And don't use the Movie item either. Use the HTML Page item, applied directly to a Picture Content box, and paste in the bare URL from the embed code, as outlined above.
Keith

Susancea

Embedding from Youtube

Post by Susancea » 09 May 2013, 05:22

Thatkeith - ok so Tom was so almost there but I seem to be no where near there! my youtube embed copies as:from your description above I edited it to:http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sy_eQlnaCGsI created a video object box at the size described:width "640" and height "360"In my object box I have the followingType: VideoVideo: I selected external reference, URL and input - http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sy_eQlnaCGsOptions: NoneInitially at: noneI have hit the "click to play/pause"Then on the events pageunder action I hit play videoThis is so counter intuitive... I have used quark for years and loved the idea that I could continue using it for web design... but overall I find it quite frustrating

thatkeith

Embedding from Youtube

Post by thatkeith » 09 May 2013, 23:43

Hi Susancea,
First of all, what we're talking about isn't web design, it's 'digital design for mobile devices'. Is this what you wanted to do, or did you really mean you wanted to create web sites?
Second,the process for getting a YouTube video to stream is not the same as embedding a movie file, simply because a YouTube video reference is really just a web request to a server, NOT a direct reference to an actual video document. This isn't a major problem, but it does mean you have to work in a slightly different way...
For YouTube, when building your digital layout using the Quark AVE Interactivity controls, you need to choose the HTML Page button, then paste or type your embed URL in the URL field. (The same goes for Vimeo, BTW.)
The URL you show in your post behaves correctly, although when I try to play it in a browser I get the annoying message that "this video contains content from SME", that it's restricted from playing on certain sites, but I can watch it directly on YouTube. This could be an additional problem for you. Good luck!

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”