Encoding Video - best practice

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
johnnyhungus

Post by johnnyhungus » 21 Dec 2011, 10:27

Yet again I am coming up with issues that seem to be silly, such as the type of video file that should work in my publications but is not.Is there a clear guide for this? I have checked the documentation and encoded to all manner of settings but seem to be missing a trick, the video doesn't appear to work!I am going a little nuts trying to figure out why, I have been successful importing video into Indesign for page playback but Quark does not seem to like the same file, nor anything I am encoding!Please could I have some guidance here, thanks.I am using either Adobe Media Encoder or Compressor.Many thanks.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Dec 2011, 22:05

Hi Johnny,
the test whetehr it will work should be simple: If it plays in Safari on iOS then it should also play in your app.
So if that test works, then please make sure you specify a fully qualified URL, so http://www... and not just http://www...
Or are you embedding the video?
Thanks
Matthias

johnnyhungus

Post by johnnyhungus » 21 Dec 2011, 22:48

Hi Matthias,I am embedding the video but having odd results. I have tried most bog-standard setups and am not having a great experience. I thought a mov file would be OK?Any ideas?Kind Regards,Johnny

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 21 Dec 2011, 22:50

Hi Johnny,
if just for testing you put the video on a webserver and access it using Safari on an iPad, does the movie play?
Thanks
Matthias

Susancea

Post by Susancea » 02 May 2013, 04:31

MattiasI was reading this thread and I also imported a .mov into a video object .It functions fine on chrome and explorer when I click the newly created .swf file out of the directory (ie: It runs and I can click to pause and run)But when I import it into my website file - it comes in White (with the letter upper left arrow)And doesn't function.I have imported many ,swf files in the past - but never a .mov video.Please adviseSusan

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 02 May 2013, 04:34

Hi Susan,
did you post in the wrong forum? AVE Publishing is publishing to the iPad and SWF (Flash) doesn't work on iOS devices.
Thanks
Matthias

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”