Cost for publishing to the iPad using App Studio for Quark 9

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
gdornas

Post by gdornas » 18 May 2011, 13:59

Hi guys,I was wondering if there will be any cost for publishing a single App (a book) using App Studio for Quark 9.... Will it be as simple as "export as APP" and then submit it to Apple for approval? If not, which costs will be involved in the whole process?Thanks,Gilberto.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 18 May 2011, 21:06

Hi Gilberto,
to publish content for the iPad will be as easy as a press of a button yes. However, you will not be creating Apps out of QuarkXPress, you will create content for your own App out of QuarkXPress.You configure your App (using a Portal Quark provides), submit that to Apple and then you can remotely "fill" the App.
Does that explain it?
Regards
Matthias

gdornas

Post by gdornas » 19 May 2011, 02:57

Hello Mathias.Thank you for your answer.Will you charge for the use of the Quark Portal? If yes, which will be the cost for a single issue? (a book in my case).I think it will be very useful for everyone if Quark could clarify the steps for creating Apps which are suitable for publishing on the Apple App Store and the costs involved.Thank you for your kind attention,Gilberto.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 May 2011, 04:57

Hi Gilberto,
the pricing is easy, you basically pay a one-time fee per issue.
Issue charges currently are between $188 and $349 per issue (depending on how many issues you plan to publish). There also will be a one-time charge for configuring the app (price depending on what app you need). You can create a single app, a kiosk app or a multi-title apps and completely customize its appearance.

Bottom line: No revenue sharing, no monthly cost, no download fees from our side, just a one-time fee for publishing an issue.
The generic App you can use for previewing can already be found in the iTunes store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quark-ap ... 10259?mt=8(links to US iTunes Store, "Quark App Studio Issue Previewer" is also available in other languages and in other iTunes Stores)

And yes, an App can contain only one issue (that's the Single App) or it can contain multiple issues (the Kiosk).
There will be step-by-step instructions when App Studio for QuarkXPress 9 ships.
In a nutshell it will be like this:
1) You configure your App (customize the Quark App Studio Issue Previewer basically), UI, appearance, logo, name etc. using a native OS X application.
2) You use QuarkXPress 9 to design an iPad layout and then export an issue file (.zave file).
3) You test your issue on your iPad or on your Mac (no charge for testing).
4) When you are satisfied you upload the issue file to a hosting site (your own, Dropbox or a commerical hosting provider).
5) You use the portal to configure where the App finds the issue (that's basically publishing, so here the one-time-charge applies).
6) You submit your App to Apple (for that you need an Apple Developer ID).
That's it.
And whenever you publish a new issue, all you'll repeat is step 4 and 5 (provided you are using a Kiosk App). Does that explain it?
And by the way, if you publish your book in the ePUB format out of QuarkXPress 9, then there's no charge at all from our side.

Regards
Matthias

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 19 May 2011, 21:37

OK! That's much more clear now! Looking forward to watching a tutorial like the one Dan made about ePub export. Those videos are very welcome! Thanks again!

gdornas

Post by gdornas » 24 May 2011, 16:08

Hi Matthias,now everything is clear... What I find odd is why Quark did not mention this fee clearly during the launch of Quark 9. I went over and over your entire site and I couldn't find one single line that mentioned it... Many people (like me) were mislead to believe that once you pay the $799 for the software you would be able to publish directly to the iPad.I am glad that you clarified this issue so people could better decide with iPad publishing solutions available will be more suitable and cost effective for their needs.Regards,Gilberto.

gdornas

Post by gdornas » 24 May 2011, 16:13

Hi Jean-Marie,I don't know if you ever had the opportunity to work with the ePub format... The fact is that it's only suitable for text only publications. If you have only a few graphics or even simple tables... well, it's a nightmare.Hope that helps.Regards,Gilberto.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 24 May 2011, 22:08

Hi Gilberto! Up to now, I've never dealt with ePub format. The video Dan published about that format is very well done! (Have you seen it?) So I've noticed it's a simplified format with narrow possibilities. This said, most of our books are text only. So it shouldn't be that intricate to us. Need time now to play with it and make my own tests. For instance, I've learned too that linked boxes are taken as one; since I have the entire book in one single text flow, I'll most probably have to play with Linker :-/ Wait and see.
See those 2 videos: on Youtube and on Quark's Web site (eSeminars - this one is the tutorial I was mentioning here above). HTH.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 24 May 2011, 22:41

Hi Gilberto,
please accept my apologies if you had the feeling Quark was hiding costs, that was never our intention.
In all events I participated, all press releases I saw, all press conferences I held, all webinars I was involved in Quark etc. either concentrated on features (and didn't talk about prices at all) or mentioned the price options: ePub to iPad for free. Blio to tablets for free. iPad export for free and publishing an export issue with costs involved. Plus of course whatever the platform provider (amazon, Apple, Baker & Taylor, Barnes & Nobles etc.) will charge.
Where did you feel Quark's information was misleading please?

And I still think that no other solution for rich App publishing to iPad is so inexpensive and works from the Desktop like App Studio for QuarkXPress 9 will when it ships.
Regards
Matthias

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 24 May 2011, 22:44

Hi Jean-Marie,
the ePub 2 standard is quite limited when it comes to rich design. It is basically text that reflows and it can have pictures incorporated, like Dan showed in his webinar. If you need richer book formats today, then Blio might be an alternative. Or manual CSS adjustments.
That said, the ePub 3 standard is emerging, and it promises richer layout options, video embedding and much more. Once that is released and the devices have updated their capability to understand this new standard, then it will be possible to create richer ePubs. And of course we are plannign to update QuarkXPress' ePub Authoring & Export capabilities then too.
Thanks
Matthias

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”