Cost for publishing to the iPad using App Studio for Quark 9

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
Paul Shapiro

Post by Paul Shapiro » 30 Jun 2011, 09:40

Matthias,What costs would be involved if someone wants to create a standalone app for use in an interactive museum display? This would not be published via Apple or anywhere else -- just used by museum visitors on one physical installation.Thanks, Paul

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Jun 2011, 09:57

Hi Paul,
that's an interesting question. Before I answer this, can you please make me understand why would it have to be an App then?
Thanks
Matthias

Paul Shapiro

Post by Paul Shapiro » 30 Jun 2011, 10:08

Matthias,Ah, right. So we would simply design for the iPad on Xpress 9, then place the file on the iPad? No app required?Sorry, but not having the module yet (or v9, for that matter), we aren't sure how this would work.Thanks, Paul

AppleGuy

Post by AppleGuy » 30 Jun 2011, 10:25

That's a question that I had as well and the answer to your question for me at least is that we want to make corporate apps for our sales force that we do not have to necessarily send into Apple for approval or even what others to see.
And to pose another question regarding this same previouos question, I read that the online app building services was going to be discontinued with the release of the 9.0 update and everything would become apart of QuarkXPress?
Thanks, Ryan.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Jun 2011, 11:07

Hi Paul,
I understand, however I am curious why it needs to be an App, why not a PDF or a website?
Thanks
Matthias

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Jun 2011, 11:23

Hi Ryan,
AppleGuy wrote:we want to make corporate apps for our sales force that we do not have to necessarily send into Apple for approval or even what others to see.

Yes, it will be possible with App Studio for QuarkXPress. You need to be part of Apple's Enterprise program and then can use App Studio to create an App that you host yourself (and don't need to go through the App Store / iTunes Store).
You can then host your app and issues in your intranet.
AppleGuy wrote:I read that the online app building services was going to be discontinued with the release of the 9.0 update and everything would become apart of QuarkXPress?

And yes, the ipad Publishing Service we currently offer is a service that we offer if you need to publish issues out of QuarkXPress rigth now. When you can do it yourself in QuarkXPress we assume that nobody requires this service anymore.
Does that explain it?
Thanks
Matthias

Paul Shapiro

Post by Paul Shapiro » 30 Jun 2011, 11:27

Hi Matthias, Thanks for the quick responses. I guess it need not necessarily be an app. Just so long as we can get something designed onto an iPad that will respond to touchscreen commands etc.Paul

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Jun 2011, 11:36

Hi Paul,
ok, understood. So you could do an interactive PDF or ePub out of QuarkXPress if you just need hyperlinks. That is of course free of charge.
When you need richer interactivity and since Flash doesn't work on iOS, then an App is really the only option currently. And then basically it is the same answer I gave Ryan, you create the App and you create one issue that you host in the App.
Testing this of course is free of charge, so you will be able to export an issue out of QuarkXPress and look at that in the Quark Issue Previewer.
Regards
Matthias

Monomeeth

Post by Monomeeth » 09 Jul 2011, 13:18

Hey Matthias

Good to see you're still around. I haven't been to these forums for quite a while. Thanks for taking the time to respond to queries, I'm sure it's appreciated by everyone.

I have three questions about the pricing you outlined above:
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:the pricing is easy, you basically pay a one-time fee per issue
1) If your app is something that would only have one issue, and you have already uploaded/published it, but you need to make changes to that issue (for instance, to correct typos or fix something that isn't quite working properly, or to add an enhancement due to popular demand), would there be any charge to doing this. If there is no charge, would there be a limit to how many times you could make revisions to the same issue?
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Issue charges currently are between $188 and $349 per issue (depending on how many issues you plan to publish).
2) Your statement above was a little confusing. If it's a price "per issue", then I don't understand the statement "depending on how many issues you plan to publish". Could you clarify this please?
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:There also will be a one-time charge for configuring the app (price depending on what app you need). You can create a single app, a kiosk app or a multi-title apps and completely customize its appearance.
3) Could you expand on this one time charge and also provide a brief summary of the different types of apps you refer to?

Thanks for your help!

Joe.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Jul 2011, 22:08

Hi Joe,
Monomeeth wrote:
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:the pricing is easy, you basically pay a one-time fee per issue
1) If your app is something that would only have one issue, and you have already uploaded/published it, but you need to make changes to that issue (for instance, to correct typos or fix something that isn't quite working properly, or to add an enhancement due to popular demand), would there be any charge to doing this. If there is no charge, would there be a limit to how many times you could make revisions to the same issue?

You have to distinguish between the app and the issue. Even if the app contains only one issue and appears like a single app, there's still an app an an issue. When you do substantial changes to the content, of course that's "republishing" and you need to pay for the issue (but not the app!) again. When you do minor changes (like removing a typo), it will most likely be free of charge, we are currently investigating the possiblity on how to allow this. I can give you a definite answer and more details on this when we ship App Studio.
Monomeeth wrote:
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Issue charges currently are between $188 and $349 per issue (depending on how many issues you plan to publish).
2) Your statement above was a little confusing. If it's a price "per issue", then I don't understand the statement "depending on how many issues you plan to publish". Could you clarify this please?

It's a volume discount. So if you buy only one at a time, the price is $349. If you buy e.g. six, the price declines to $302 per issue, etc.
Monomeeth wrote:
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:There also will be a one-time charge for configuring the app (price depending on what app you need). You can create a single app, a kiosk app or a multi-title apps and completely customize its appearance.
3) Could you expand on this one time charge and also provide a brief summary of the different types of apps you refer to?

I am not sure what additional information you need. A single app is an app that can only contain one issue (e.g. like an interactive book maybe). A kiosk app is an app that you can load with multiple issues, e.g. a book stand, several issues of one magazine (01/11, 02/11 etc.). A multi-title app is an app that can contain multiple publications with mutliple issues each, so a "Magazine A" wih 12 issues and "Magazine B" with 52 issues etc. Does that explain it?
Thanks
Matthias

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”