Cost for publishing to the iPad using App Studio for Quark 9

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Jul 2011, 22:08

Hi Joe,
Monomeeth wrote:
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:the pricing is easy, you basically pay a one-time fee per issue
1) If your app is something that would only have one issue, and you have already uploaded/published it, but you need to make changes to that issue (for instance, to correct typos or fix something that isn't quite working properly, or to add an enhancement due to popular demand), would there be any charge to doing this. If there is no charge, would there be a limit to how many times you could make revisions to the same issue?

You have to distinguish between the app and the issue. Even if the app contains only one issue and appears like a single app, there's still an app an an issue. When you do substantial changes to the content, of course that's "republishing" and you need to pay for the issue (but not the app!) again. When you do minor changes (like removing a typo), it will most likely be free of charge, we are currently investigating the possiblity on how to allow this. I can give you a definite answer and more details on this when we ship App Studio.
Monomeeth wrote:
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Issue charges currently are between $188 and $349 per issue (depending on how many issues you plan to publish).
2) Your statement above was a little confusing. If it's a price "per issue", then I don't understand the statement "depending on how many issues you plan to publish". Could you clarify this please?

It's a volume discount. So if you buy only one at a time, the price is $349. If you buy e.g. six, the price declines to $302 per issue, etc.
Monomeeth wrote:
Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:There also will be a one-time charge for configuring the app (price depending on what app you need). You can create a single app, a kiosk app or a multi-title apps and completely customize its appearance.
3) Could you expand on this one time charge and also provide a brief summary of the different types of apps you refer to?

I am not sure what additional information you need. A single app is an app that can only contain one issue (e.g. like an interactive book maybe). A kiosk app is an app that you can load with multiple issues, e.g. a book stand, several issues of one magazine (01/11, 02/11 etc.). A multi-title app is an app that can contain multiple publications with mutliple issues each, so a "Magazine A" wih 12 issues and "Magazine B" with 52 issues etc. Does that explain it?
Thanks
Matthias

Monomeeth

Post by Monomeeth » 11 Jul 2011, 01:31

Thanks Matthias, that certainly clears things up for me. You've answered all my questions and I very much appreciate you taking the time to do so!

:)

Joe.

djtbc

Post by djtbc » 11 Jul 2011, 03:43

Hi Matthias,I have found your posts on here really helpful but it you could clear a couple of things thing up I would be very grateful: On the simple how to on steps 4 and 5 (below) your mention uploading your issue file to a hosting site. Is this where it lives permanently or is it transferred to your/apples servers when it is approved?4) When you are satisfied you upload the issue file to a hosting site (your own, Dropbox or a commerical hosting provider).5) You use the portal to configure where the App finds the issue (that's basically publishing, so here the one-time-charge applies). Do you have a release date for this functionality yet?thanksMatt

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 11 Jul 2011, 03:53

Hi Matt,
again, you need to distinguish between the App and the issue(s). Apple never hosts content, only Apps.
So you'll create your App, create your issue(s), host the issue(s) yourself, use the Publishing Portal to configure where the App finds the issue(s) and submit the App to Apple. Apple then approves the App and hosts it.
When your customer finds the App in Apples App Store (iTunes), it will appear to them as if the content (issues) is directly in the App, as the process is completely transparent to your customer.
Advantage: You can host the issues yourself, even a Dropbox account might be sufficient (bandwidth is the attribute to test for).
Another advantage: The content (and cost) is always under your control and you don't loose the content (or App) just because you are not paying for a service (as no service needs to be booked with Quark).
And: As every further issue does not need to be pre-approved by Apple, you might be saving publishing time. On this last point, just be aware that Apple reserves the right to re-check your app based on the content you publish.
Does that make sense?
And release date will be in August, as a free(!) update to QuarkXPress 9.
Regards
Matthias

djtbc

Post by djtbc » 11 Jul 2011, 04:10

Hi Matthias,That's excellent and has answered that clearly!Hope you don't mind me firing a couple of other queries too:Will the publications allow automatic orientation switching? Your partner (Aquafadas) doesn't allow this at present - you have to choose if you want a portrait OR landscape mag.What would you say that the Quark offering offers over Adobe's solution (other than a MASSIVE cost difference? Are they both technically equal?Why would a smaller design/publishing house go for Adobe's route over yours?Can we do 360 degree panoramas in a slideshow like you can in Indesign? ie. put images in a folder with sequential numbering which allows the user to scroll backwards and forwards to see all sides of a productWill you be supporting Android tablets? If yes, do you have any timeframe? Will you be releasing full how to's and documentation when you release the update? Do you have a clearer date than August - as I understood it before it was due early July? Again sorry to bombard with questions - just really excited about what Quark is doing here!thanksMatt

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 12 Jul 2011, 01:24

Hi Matt,
thank you for the flowers.
Yes, issues will allow orientation switching, so you can have a completely different layout for each orientation. Of course optionally you can disable that.
What's even cooler: If you have two orientations, you can synchronise content and design, so that you don't have double the work, only the things that should be different can be different (the rest follows, e.g. content but not geometry, based on your criteria). Plus, in QuarkXPress you see both layouts beside each other (in one project), another advantage. Like this:
I say August because Mr. Murphy unfortunately teaches that when you announce end of July (as originally announced) it will be August. Well, life could surprise me.
And I can't tell you why somebody would go for Adobe's solution, I think you better ask them ;-)

Yes, you can include 360 product shots, if they are JavaScript based (Flash doesn't work so well on an iPad).
Android is on the roadmap, the first release will support iPad only. Yes, there will be full documentation.
By the way, shoot me an email with your phoen number if you have so many questions, happy to call you.
Regards
Matthias

djtbc

Post by djtbc » 12 Jul 2011, 01:54

Again - thanks for the answers, they are very helpful.PS> Not sure what the 'flowers' are about?!

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 14 Jul 2011, 03:44

Maybe a "Genglish" (German/English) term ;-)
I meant "compliments".
Thanks
Matthias

Vianney

Post by Vianney » 07 Aug 2011, 09:16

Hi Mathias,This is my first post, thanks a lot for all your explanations and for your reactivity on this forum which is very helpfull.Can you validate :I want to create a personnal document with many rich interactivity (eg. interactiv book of my last holidays: diaporama, video, pan and zoom, hyperlinks, text ...)I don't want my creation to be sold or publicate on the internet. Personnal use only.I create it with AppStudio for Quarkxpress (I am so impatient to try it)I can export my creation directly to my iPad, and I can read it with the Quark Issue Previewer.http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quark-ap ... 259?mt=8Am I right? Do you agree?Thanks a lot.VianneyFrance

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Aug 2011, 22:25

Hi Vianney,
yes, what you are describing is exactly one of the test scenarios possible.
Thanks
Matthias

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”