Questions about publishing to iPad

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
Mat

Post by Mat » 27 Jul 2011, 04:36

Hi all, I am bit new to this, so bear with me! Is the App Studio available yet? If not, when will it be released? All I am seeing is it will be available 90 days after Quark9's release, however, I don't know when Quark9 was released!With the App Studio, will I be able to create iPad publications without needing other software? I keep reading on the Quark website something about App Studio for Quark Publishing System which sounds to me like it is another expense on top of the Quark9 price, so what is App Studio for Quark Publishing System, and what is Quark Publishing System?Finally, the explanation of App Studio for Quark Publishing System on the Quark website explains what you can do, and what it includes. Does App Studio (if it's separate product to QPS), have the same capabilities?Thanks.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 27 Jul 2011, 04:56

Hi Mat,
Quark Publishing System (QPS) is a workflow and automation system that Quark offers. QPS will work with QuarkXPress (and InDesign) and also connects other software as clients including web access.
Quark offers an App publishing solution for QPS and one for QuarkXPress. It seems that you are interested in QuarkXPress.
So regarding App Studio for QuarkXPress:
QuarkXPress 9 was released end of April, currently we envision QuarkXPress 9.1 (which will include App Studio and will be a free update to QuarkXPress 9) for end of August.
You will be able to publish to the iPad with App Studio for QuarkXPress 9.1 without having to have any other software (just an Apple Developer account is required which might give you Apple software to upload your app to the App Store). Of course if you want to create videos and include them, you might need video cutting software etc.
And yes, with App Studio you can create an app and then use QuarkXPress 9.1 to create, design and export content for your App (so called issues).
Does that explain it?
Regards
Matthias

Mat

Post by Mat » 27 Jul 2011, 05:45

Yes, thanks. That helps somewhat. So, When App Studio does eventually get released, and once I have completed layout, how do I go about creating a digital publication that is available to download from iTunes? From what I read, Quark simply creates the content and exports it ready for publishing, so I assume there is a middle part that will create the 'app' and upload it to the Apple store (or indeed, google's version of the app store)... is this middle bit what the App Studio does for me. Actually, does a digital publication created in Quark have to be made available through the Apple Store? Are there any other ways to enable iPad users to download a publication without using the Apple store? Can I host the publication on my own website? I asking this because I really like the idea of is distributing corporate brochures free to customers without having to pay through the nose for it. If I have to pay thousands up front, I might as well get it printed properly and mail to a larger market. I read an article in Mac User stating that to publish a digital one-off publication would cost an affordable 213 (approx)... is this correct? Thanks again.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 27 Jul 2011, 08:06

Hi Mat,
exactly, just that we call everything altogether "App Studio".
So with App Studio in QuarkXPress you design your content and enrich it (with videos, audio, slideshows, animations, scrollable areas etc.) and then export it ( a so called AVE file). Then you create your App with App Studio, e.g. a Kiosk, which you can customize. You use a Web Portal to configure where the AVE file is hosted (you host it yourself) and submit App to Apple (using Apple's normal App submission process). Whenever you have a new issue, you use the Web Portal again to tell the Kiosk App where the new content can be found.
Apple doesn't allow Apps to be hosted on website, unless you use Apple's Enterprise Program. Then, yes, it is possible, however then you can only distribute the App to colleagues (and not customers). Please see Apple's Developer Program for more details, we completely comply with it.
You can of course make your App and issue(s) free of charge. And PDF and HTML are always an option.

You don't need to pay thousands up front with Quark, as we don't offer a service or a monthly subscription, we allow App Publishing from the Desktop. Yes, an issue will cost you a one-time fee of 229 (or less, based on a volume-discount) plus cost for the app (also one-time). And only when you publish, not for testing.
Regards
Matthias

Mat

Post by Mat » 27 Jul 2011, 10:23

OK, each issue is 229, but what is the cost of the one-time app fee? So, if it is just a single issue (such as a corporate brochure), do I still pay both prices... i.e: the issue price of 229 and the one-time price for the app? I think this should be my last round of questions ;o). Thanks again.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 27 Jul 2011, 21:56

Hi Mat,
a one-time app (so not a kiosk with multiple issues) is 99 and yes, you will need the issue too.
Regards
Matthias

Mat

Post by Mat » 27 Jul 2011, 22:53

Well, that's good then. It's still cost effective. How much is a kiosk? I assume one-time price of a single issue app is the same as a one-time price as a multiple issue app. I've seen three options of app on the Quark website somewhere and I can't find it now, but from what I understand, I can have a single, one-off app with one issue; I can have a single app that has multiple issues; and I can have a kiosk which has multiple publications with multiple issues... is that right? This might be the last round of questions!

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 27 Jul 2011, 23:34

Hi Matt,
yes, issues are the same price regardless where you use them and only have to be paid once, regardless of downloads, your cover price oreven life-span. So even if you keep them online "forever" (well ;-), there's no monthly fee, no revenue sharing by Quark and also no download fee.
For Apps there are basically three pricing options, 1) a single app, 2) a single-title-multiple-issue app (same as multiple-books app) and 3) a multiple-title-mutliple-issue app.
Your kiosk (aka single-title-multiple-issues aka multiple-books app) can contain either one title (e.g. "Quark Monthly") with issues (e.g. 01, 02...12) or many books. That's 499 (one-time fee) and even contains all updates for 12 months (should it be necessary, e.g. due to iOS changes). There's no additional charge (no monthly or yearly fee) and of course the app also will continue to function also after the 12 months.
Does that explain it? Interested?
Regards
Matthias

Mat

Post by Mat » 28 Jul 2011, 00:35

Interested... indeed I am! It is without doubt the most cost effective and sensible option I have found to date. Adobe is just thinking of the large publisher, as is Woodwing, and woodwing is nothing more than a plugin... at least Adobe has a full application with a solution behind it, but both of their prices run into the tens-of-thousands before you've even published one digital edition! Even the likes of Yudu are too expensive for the majority of small publishers, especially as at the moment, the tablet market is still limited by the low amount of users in comparison to paper-based readers. Actually, I think as I have had to ask questions as to how much it is going to cost me, it's obvious to me that Quark needs to publicise and promote their pricing structure more visibly. I have had to hunt for it, and I have luckily found you to answer my questions. If your pricing was easier to find, I think you'd have a larger uptake of users and and gain a market dominance with your software. I'm finding that it's the assumption of a lot of people that digital publishing is going to be expensive, hopefully, Quark is in a perfect position to change that... 328 for a digital publication is an extremely attractive option!

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 28 Jul 2011, 00:49

Hi Mat,
thank you very much for the nice words. Enabling you to publish rich iPad designs from the Desktop is our idea.
And yes, we will be promoting this more once we have it available, which is only a few weeks from now.
Regards
Matthias

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”