preparing photos for traditional print

If you want to publish to the iPad, iPhone, Android phone, Android tablet, Kindle Fire and as Web App, please use the new HTML5-based App Studio.
Please note that after March 18, 2014, new customers will not be able to create Quark AVE Publishing (Powered by Aquafadas) apps and that Quark will stop supporting Quark AVE Publishing on Sep 18, 2014 for all customers. Therefore we have closed this forum for posting too. Please contact support if you need help.
HazelM

Post by HazelM » 30 Jun 2011, 13:20

I'm using Quark to produce an ebook which has colour photos in it.But I've decided to have some copies printed in the traditional way as well, however my planning so far has not allowed for that!My photos are in rgb format and I'm not sure whether these will separate ok (into cmyk) from the quark file. Can anyone advise?Also, will my photos for the ebook need to be different in format and resolution from those used for the printed document?

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 30 Jun 2011, 17:44

Make a duplicate of your layout, open the the RGB pictures in Photosop and convert them to CMYK (making also the necessary adjustments), then go to QuarkXPress and update the links to the picture files.
For offset printing, the bitmap files need a minimum resolution (200 - 300 dots per inch), the best way is to talk with the printer.
For printing to a office printer, there are no special needs, just try to print some pages and examine them.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 30 Jun 2011, 18:43

Hi Hazel,
I am not sure I understand your dilemma. For eBooks RGB is the rigth format. If you also need to print your eBook, then Color Management should help you to produce CMYK pictures. If that doesn't satisfy you, max's tips are great.
Of course your resoltion needs to be different, typical for print is 300 dpi and QuarkXPress 9 can automatically downsample these for eBooks.
Thanks
Matthias

HazelM

Post by HazelM » 30 Jun 2011, 22:48

Thanks Matthias for your advice.
Could you explain what you mean by 'colour management'? Perhaps this could help me since I don't have photoshop! Clearly I need to separate the photos into cmyk before importing into quark but without photoshop I'm hoping there might be another option?

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 01 Jul 2011, 22:48

Hi,
About replacing Photoshop: try an opensource alternative, The Gimp image processor. It works both on Win and MacOS, it can be downloaded for free. It "knows" RGB and CMYK.
About color management in QuarkXPress: it's a whole theory, you can read about it in the help file.

Graham PM (Quark)

Post by Graham PM (Quark) » 02 Jul 2011, 08:45

XPress supports several print output modes. It defaults to CMYK Composite. If that is your current setting (look under options in the Print Dialog) then XPress will convert your RGB image to the correct CMYK values for your output device. No need for Photoshop.

HazelM

Post by HazelM » 04 Jul 2011, 21:46

Thanks Graham for that. I assume when you refer to 'output device' that you refer to digital offset printing.
Can I ask one more question please? Which is the preferred file format for colour photographic (300dpi?) images imported into quark? I see a few options in the manual but am unsure which is the best option for me.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 04 Jul 2011, 22:04

Hi,
If quality matters, try to use TIFF. The JPG files are supported, but their compression may cause a slow quality.
TIFFs can have layers and can retain layer styles.
You can use also PSD files, BUT there are some limitations to layer styles.
XPress handles very well EPS files. If EPS contain only bitmaps, there are no problems. If they have both vectors and bitmaps, problems may occur regarding transparency. If there are some texts, it's recommended to have embed fonts.
Hope this helps.
Regards

HazelM

Post by HazelM » 26 Jul 2011, 14:52

Can I confirm my understanding of the process please? Sorry to repeat but this is a BIG committment!
[ulist][*]The preferred file format choices for print-quality images is TIFF? EPS is good as long as issues with vectors and fonts are addressed?[*] Quark will separate to CMYK both formats without my needing to do anything (my photos have been adjusted in GIMP as RGB's) so all I need do is export as TIFF or EPS?[*]300dpi?[/ulist]I would like to be able to proof the work so I can be sure of the quality of the images but only have a Canon desk-top colour printer. How do you normally go about final proofing of the work before printing? Is this always handled by the printer?

HazelM

Post by HazelM » 26 Jul 2011, 14:55

One more question (but I think it's a good one!):
Is is better to use the images at full size (ie100%) in Quark so that resolution is not effected (of course if you enlarge resolution decreases, but what is the effect if reducing the size? Does that cause degradation or quality?
Is it better once the document is complete, to go through all the images and adjust size before importing again so they all appear at 100% or is this work unnecessary?
Hazel

Return to “QuarkXPress 9: AVE Publishing - discontinued”