Pdf Hyperlink font color

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows
Imperial

Pdf Hyperlink font color

Post by Imperial » 31 Dec 2013, 05:09

First post for me. New to online publishing. I hope this is an easy one to remedy. For the first time I am creating a layout that when converted to a pdf will be an online newsletter. I need to include a number of hyperlinks leading to email, and urls, etc. I have gotten the links to work as they should and in the print layout before converting to pdf I get the proper blue underline of the selected text showing it to be a link in preview. But when I output to pdf the link typeface does not default to blue but remains black with n blue underline, essentially making it impossible for a viewer to discern it is a link. I suspect there should be some automatic blue color applied to the font but cannot seem to figure out how that is done, or where to go to click a box to make that happen. I am using Quark 9.3.1.1Thanks!

omegaman

Pdf Hyperlink font color

Post by omegaman » 31 Dec 2013, 08:48

Imperial wrote:First post for me. New to online publishing. I hope this is an easy one to remedy. For the first time I am creating a layout that when converted to a pdf will be an online newsletter. I need to include a number of hyperlinks leading to email, and urls, etc. I have gotten the links to work as they should and in the print layout before converting to pdf I get the proper blue underline of the selected text showing it to be a link in preview. But when I output to pdf the link typeface does not default to blue but remains black with n blue underline, essentially making it impossible for a viewer to discern it is a link. I suspect there should be some automatic blue color applied to the font but cannot seem to figure out how that is done, or where to go to click a box to make that happen. I am using Quark 9.3.1.1Thanks!

Only way I got this to work was change the link text to blue and underline it in Quark. Note: There are options to highlight a bounding box in the Hyperlinks section (under options) during PDF export.

Imperial

Pdf Hyperlink font color

Post by Imperial » 31 Dec 2013, 09:54

Thank you Omegaman. Yes, I thought to manually do as you did, but does it make sense that hyperlinks in exported Quark pdf files need to be manually highlighted and underlined in blue before exporting? I suspect there is an automatic or default function for doing so. I did note the bounding box under hyperlinks options, but I wanted to follow the pattern we typically see, which is the link itself having blue text instead of the clunky box around it. The options area seems like the perfect place to colorize your link text, and I was surprised to see it as a bounding box in preview. Is there something I am missing or a box I did not know to check?

omegaman

Pdf Hyperlink font color

Post by omegaman » 31 Dec 2013, 10:01

Imperial wrote:Thank you Omegaman. Yes, I thought to manually do as you did, but does it make sense that hyperlinks in exported Quark pdf files need to be manually highlighted and underlined in blue before exporting? I suspect there is an automatic or default function for doing so. I did note the bounding box under hyperlinks options, but I wanted to follow the pattern we typically see, which is the link itself having blue text instead of the clunky box around it. The options area seems like the perfect place to colorize your link text, and I was surprised to see it as a bounding box in preview. Is there something I am missing or a box I did not know to check?

This might be an easier option assuming you have Acrobat Pro: http://www.planetquark.com/2013/06/07/u ... sMwN_2ZahY
Another article that may shed some light: http://www.planetquark.com/2008/04/16/e ... sMw1f2ZahY

MikeWenzloff

Pdf Hyperlink font color

Post by MikeWenzloff » 31 Dec 2013, 12:12

I will use a character style for the URL/Mailto links. I'll highlight the URL or the mailto link, copy for the hyperlink window and while highlighted I'll click on my character style. Then create the hyperlink. Other than say a directory where there are tons of mailto links and or URLs, it all goes pretty quickly.Recently I have also used conditional styles when doing a small publication that had a lot of hyperlinks. Don't know if it is worth the bother. While a conditional style will apply the character style, I still need to copy the text of the hyperlink for creating the hyperlink and so it is already highlighted.

Imperial

Pdf Hyperlink font color

Post by Imperial » 01 Jan 2014, 04:26

Thank you both gentlemen.I will do some experimenting based on your helpful comments! Happy New Year!

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)”